starting out

locket

Hey im new to forum so a big hello to everyone,

I really would love to start making some drum and bass tracks but im not sure were to start, which daw to buy, and im getting a little confused, dont want to buy reason cause you cant put vocals in th mix, was nt sure about ableton cause you dont get soft synths with it, was thinking about sonar for the synths but not sure if thats any good for making d n b on.

What do youy guys use.

Any help would be appreciated

Hey im new to forum so a big hello to everyone,

I really would love to start making some drum and bass tracks but im not sure were to start, which daw to buy, and im getting a little confused, dont want to buy reason cause you cant put vocals in th mix, was nt sure about ableton cause you dont get soft synths with it, was thinking about sonar for the synths but not sure if thats any good for making d n b on.

What do youy guys use.

Any help would be appreciated

welcome fella!!

Logic is the way forward!!

hey thanks for welcome, im a pc thou

oh dear...

well if your just starting out...id recommend starting with FL studio (fruity loops) its easy to use and creates decent results...once mastered, move onto something like reason or logic id say...

ye thats probaly not a bad idea, probably best jumping in the deep end to quick and start off easy, is logic really the way to go then lots better than sonar etc

id say reason u can put vocals on ur track thru the nnxt or nn19
its not as easy as others for it but it can be done!

ye thats probaly not a bad idea, probably best jumping in the deep end to quick and start off easy, is logic really the way to go then lots better than sonar etc

i personally think logic is the way forward...but others will swear by reason...

i just find reason a bit limited to be honest...logic is a bit harder to get you head round at first but the possibilities are endless...amazing for vocals too.

ye i did nt want reason cause you cant put live instruments and vocals, do you know if sonar and logic are similar at all, you might not know bein a maccie user

ye i did nt want reason cause you cant put live instruments and vocals, do you know if sonar and logic are similar at all, you might not know bein a maccie user

no they're not.... not at all really....

Just stick to Logic mate.... Sonar is used by people who make sound effects etc... well.... at least all the people i know who do soundscapes etc use it... i dont really know any dnb producers who bang tunes out on sonar.... not saying that there isnt any...

Go for Logic bro... well worth the investment..

Logic is def the best if your running a mac...

I use a PC at the moment though and my favorite is Cubase. I used to use Reason a lot but found it quite limiting in certain areas.

mmm cubase might be the one for me then atm, i'd like smthing abit more advanced than fruity, and id like smthing i can record instruments cubase might be the one then.

Thanks for your replies

It kills me to say this but REVTECH IS RIGHT.

fl n massive if your relatively new an jus wanna hook but also a proffesional sound.

It's a common myth that Reason doesn't allow for live recordings, it does, but there's no plug in and play option. Most (if not all) DJ's record their sets so have some way of recording live instruments. With Recycle too (I don't see much point with having one without the other) you can manipulate the live recording, splitting it up, resampling, changing pitch or tempo without affecting the other etc and then save it as a .Rexx file that compresses without sound quality loss.

The main drawback with Reason is the lack of VST's, however there is a way around this also. With a free sequencing programme open the VST you want to use in Reason, save the sounds, one after each other in the same track, then export to Recycle, now splice up each sound (up to 127 in total), then load it in to Dr Rexx in Reason. I know this is still a little limited, like for example the velocity is pretty much set when you first sample the sound, but that's the same with any sampling and if you really want a bassline using that VTS, in Reason, then it's good enough.

One massive plus with Reason that you don't get elsewhere is the ability to see the ahrdward and wiring, for me anyway this made things so muc easier than looking in menus and drop down boxes. Most of us are DJs after all, we're at home with connecting leads and such. I would have never learnt things like side chain compression as quickly without Reason.

Personally at the mo I use Reason, once I've built my PC I will be using Reason rewired with Cubase 4. I've also used Logic and Protools. I wouldn't say Reason and Logic are fair comparisons, it would be better to compare Cubase to Logic and in all fairness there's very little to pick between the too, it'll probably depend more on your OS. If I were starting out again, I'd get Reason and Recycle (again) learning things the hard/long way is sometimes better if you stick at it. If you're really dead against Reason and running WIndows, then Cubase, maybe one of the light versions, like LE. In fact Lexicon (Audio Input manufacturer, among other things) give away Cubase LE with even their more basic models. Seeing as you may need an Aduio nput device this could be the way to go. Saying this Behringer also used to give away a basic copy of Appleton with their midi keyboards too.

Back
Top Bottom