Best Computer for Music Production

mini_molko

I've been using a shitty Dell laptop to produce my own DnB for a while now, but after one too many system crashes and failure to support more than 2 VST plugins being used at the same time, I've decided it's time to get a proper computer.

So... I was just wondering what should I be looking for??? I know fuck all about computers, apart from the fact that I know I need something with a good processing power.

I've been told to get a Apple G5, but I'm a bit of a Mac facist, and I'm way too used to the Windows operating system... But on the other hand, I've heard mac's are best for music production. Is this true? Or is there a Windows alternative, that would save me the hassle of having to get my head round bloody Macs.

I'm not looking to shell out mega money, but if anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful! :not_worth

people will always tell you macs are better..... are they??.... i dont know, but i do know that decent pc's will do a fine job of it, will cost you a lot less too ;)

you could build a pc yourself, but if your not up for that, have a look at ready made systems on ebuyer or maybe even ebay...... steer clear of pc world and places like those, you will not get your moneys worth

Cool, I checked out Ebuyer, but I still don't really know what I'm looking for... What sort of processor speed should I be aiming for? Taking into account I'm gonna be using Cubase, Massive, plus other VST's and midi hardware.

Hmmm, is there any other key things to look out for that would benefit music production?

to run bulk vst's you want lots of ram, i have 4gb atm but 2g might be ok - fl uses about 800mb for some of my tracks hah.

i have a quad core 6600 but have noticed that only 2 are really utilised with most audio programs. so i suggest a core 2 duo.

btw learning to build computers is one of the best money saving skills you can have, learn to do it! youll soon realise how bullshit overpriced all premade systems are.

Hi there my fist post here hope that i can help :)

Don't think about a mac if you don't want to spend much more money. Sorry for my poor english btw.

The best choise imo is a quad core. q6600 @2,4 GHz ( the cheapest one)
alot of Ram
alot harddisk space

I use that one with cubase and vista 64 bit ultimate @ 3ghz
8 GB DDR2-800
1 TB Harddsik and the system is table and running fine all the time no problem with cpu power.

btw this pc is a silent one. There are two fans in it with 500rpm thats all and the system runs at 32°C.

Hope that helps you a bit.

Mac is a cool system but it is to expensive you get more power with a pc for less money. The sytem above cost round about 600-700 eur in germany with graphiccard, tower and all you need to build up a new pc. Mac with this power woul cost round about 2500 eur.

All the best

i have a quad core 6600 but have noticed that only 2 are really utilised with most audio programs. so i suggest a core 2 duo.

i don't no fl but cubase uses 4 cores. I had a dual core before and the power was not enough to run my hole projects now with a quad core no problems at the moment. And the price for the q6600 is quite the same as the dual core.

here in germany quad core is betwen 140-250 eur dual core is round about the same. To be ready for future i would always take the quad.

dequo is right building up an own pc is the cheapest and best way to safe money. If you are able to build up your own system you should do this.

Last edited:
If you are working onboard with Plug Ins and Software you will need a minimum Dual Core processor 2ghz upwards... I'd say 4gb RAM to be safe...and seperate your Audio and your Applications on 2 seperate Hard Drives so your machine runs smooth...(ie - buy and external if its a laptop or fit a 2nd drive if its a tower)

I've got a 8 core 8 X 3ghz processor Mac Pro
8 GB RAM
2 x 1 TB drives
2 x 23" Apple Displays although i never use my machine to its full capacity.

If you use Logic i'd go for a MAC
Anything else i get a custom PC

i don't no fl but cubase uses 4 cores. I had a dual core before and the power was not enough to run my hole projects now with a quad core no problems at the moment. And the price for the q6600 is quite the same as the dual core.

here in germany quad core is betwen 140-250 eur dual core is round about the same. To be ready for future i would always take the quad.

dequo is right building up an own pc is the cheapest and best way to safe money. If you are able to build up your own system you should do this.

thats pretty sweet about cubase, hopefully other audio apps will go that way soon

Dual core should be fine as long as you have enough RAM to support it...4gb minimum.

It also depends if you are running effects on every channel and how processor heavy the plug ins u are using are.

Try running some effects to a Bus to save on processor power and bounce down your processed layered hits to a single file, run your audio and applications seperate...you shouldnt have any problems if you follow these 3 steps

im sure i heard x84 systems can only use 3.5GB of ram......

thats true but core 2 duo are 64 bit if thats what ur getting at. but yeah you also have to run 64bit os

Last edited:
just got my core 2 duo e4600 2.4, picked up locally for 50 quid, brand new in box, although it's not quite a quad core systems still gonna be fat as fuck when i bung my new 256 graphics card in, need to pick up from post office. (display went on motherboard & graphics for some reason :S) gonna get 4gb's of ram when my other processors sold on ebay, bring on the production (y)

buy mac 8 core + logic studio, it will all you need !

yea man, fuck fucking around with a PC , macs are alot easier, they never and i mean never crash, they dont get viruses, they are just plug in and go, and software is real easy to install. if you dont know a hole lot about computers then mac is what you need. plus how can you say you are a mac fascist when you dont know fuck all about computers??

I am also interested in upgrading my computer. I know how to build my computer and I know alot about processors, ram, vid cards etc for gaming, but I have a question about music production.

My question is this. What is a good solid sound card for music production? I am interested in a fairly wide variety of digital music right now. Dance, DnB, techno and even some rap beats.

I do not plan on having a keyboard or anything like that, at least not now. I just want to create music through VST instruments and possibly some sampling. Would a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi be a great card? I know its probably one of the best out there for gaming, but I am not sure about for music production. Also, I have heard somewhere that M Audio cards are decent, but again I dont know to much about quality sound cards.

Thanks mates.

Would a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi be a great card? I know its probably one of the best out there for gaming, but I am not sure about for music production.

not really mate, its a gaming card, you want a pro audio card.....

you mentioned m-audio, i assume your that will probably do you nicely ;)

Well, before buy any computer for music production then there is require to take care about the following features:

(1) Bluetooth facility
(2) Card reader
(3) VGA port
(4) Sound card

So, all this configurations are available in Lenovo think pad. You can get it in reasonable price.

Back
Top Bottom