The Best Spectrum Analyser

Emiliolio

Or at least what do most of you guys use? I don't know if any of you have Steinbergs Wavelab but there's an analyser in it called a "spectrum meter" - which uses bars instead. It seems to me to be more accurate.

Any suggestions?

Theres one called Waves (i think) which is used by the likes of Sub Focus & Brookes Brothers but its pretty expensive!

there are these great things called EARS you can use, u should try it

pity there are these things called 'your reflective room'
and 'your cheap monitors'.....
the sound that is coming out of your speakers may not be an accurate representation of what is actually there....
unless you have treated your room, are using professional monitors which have been tuned to your room and have not damaged your ears previously from last weeks warehaus party....
Not to mention most peoples monitors start rolling off way to
high to accurately treat subs....
this thing called 'a brain' is good to use to.... sometimes... ;P

i dont understand how an analyser with bars can be more accurate..... i would have thought they were fairly limited :unsure:

Theres one called Waves (i think) which is used by the likes of Sub Focus & Brookes Brothers but its pretty expensive!

Waves PAZ Analysers ;)

i dont understand how an analyser with bars can be more accurate..... i would have thought they were fairly limited :unsure:

its to do with the eq's, getting the right ones for the different sounds kick 100hz, snare 200hz etc etc

im sure every pro producer uses them in the studio

its to do with the eq's, getting the right ones for the different sounds kick 100hz, snare 200hz etc etc

but if your kick peaks a 124Hz would it tell you??? if you have a rouge spiking frequency in one of your sounds thats peaking at exactly 11342Hz, would a barred analyser be able to tell you that???

i cant say as i have never used one, but would have thought barred analysers have a very low resolution :confused:

what i use (i dont claim its the best) but its pretty alright comes with RME .. Digicheck
IXL or RNdigital are very good too for vst.

one more accurate SpectraLab. pretty nice altho it wont work on any resolution

EARS VS ROOM VARIATIONS :D tight tight
im up for my ears when i know my surroundings but i like to know my tools in case i am in a weird place with crappy acoustics

i hope that helps

SPAN is excellent.

I like analyzers that can show you the analyses over a longer period of time.

PAZ for instance does not have that option. Most accurate? Well that also depends on display, zoom and speed settings.

A good analyzer will give you parameters that work in the same way as clip does. A light or other indicator shows you a certain threshold is being met.

In that sense as long as the UI agrees with you, there's phase and db metering, it's all good.

---------- Post added at 00:41 ---------- Previous post was at 00:38 ----------

Yup, most analyzers have musical grids though. But some engineers and producers might like the 32/48/64 band appraoch or even more musical oriented bands.

I think on the basis that is is good and free it must be span, but interestingly
In have kept the gold coloured old one. I tend not to use it too much
but seem to be able to "interpret" it better than the nice new coloured one.

Back
Top Bottom