Couple of Q's regarding FL8.

B

BDS

These Question's are really based at Logikz Zeal or Jay but anyone with info I would much appreciate replying.

First of all if im in FL and I want to put an effect like distortion or flange or reverb or what ever how do i just put it on 1 channel, like if i want to add distortion to my bass?

also is this what people like noisia/spor and that lot do?

and 1 more Q,

Spor's Drums are unbeleivable what sort of thing should i be practicing to get in the knack to do this sort of thing with my snares and kicks?his snares sound really nice a\almost blunted or sumin....How???

also can anyone give me a quick walkthrough of how to sidechain in fl.8 iv seen vids on youtube but i cant listen to audio on that and have audio on fruity at the same time plus you cant see what theyre pressing and they go to quick.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you have a bass sample on channel 1 of your mixer. On your right you will have 6-8 slots for fx. Select a free fx channel and assign the fx you want. adjust the settings so that it sounds how you want. You can adjust the volume to control how much of the fx is audable. If you want the effect to kick in at a specific point and finish at a specific point, you need to highlight the time on the time bar above the play screen. Right click the volume knob on the fx and press create automation clip. A clip will appear on the screen near as possible to the sample you are applying fx to. Adjust the volume parameters on the clip to either come straight on, gradually build up, etc. This can be done with any button, knob in fruity. (not on vst's)

For drums, read zeal's drum tutorial and follow it like a bible.

hope this helps
peace

cheers frat will try that when i get home,

im thinking spor must compress his drums or sumin, iv got no idea about compression tho.

thats the basic jist of it, you put the effect on a channel and route the sample to there.
i dont know much about spor other than that he kicks ass and someone said he sidechains stuff like his kick with his cymbal to get that pumping effect on the beats.

sidechaining in FL is a peice of piss (with the peak controller), which you can read all about on doa or probably round here somewhere too, but whats important is to understand what it does, in this case it will be affecting the volume so that every time the kick hits, the cymbal ducks in volume and slowly increases as the kick decreases.
youll reckognize the effect from disco house and the like.
its useful for loads of stuff, you can link it to filter, eq, whatever really. i should mention its by no means instant spore drums.

splitting a sound in two (or three) is one technique to make a cool sound, lets say a bass. load the sample in a sampler, copy the sampler, highpass one, lowpass the other and play them at the same time. maybe with a layer.
the highpassed version gets the distortion we spoke about earlier, together with whatever sounds good, probably chorus, phaser and reverb or something.
lowpassed version might get abit of distortion that too, along with some eqing and other stuff.

so the same sound gets two different effect channels.

yeah spor uses a lot of compression i would say!

Im not an FL user, but what Logiks has said above is pretty much the way to do it! :)

thats the basic jist of it, you put the effect on a channel and route the sample to there.
i dont know much about spor other than that he kicks ass and someone said he sidechains stuff like his kick with his cymbal to get that pumping effect on the beats.

sidechaining in FL is a peice of piss (with the peak controller), which you can read all about on doa or probably round here somewhere too, but whats important is to understand what it does, in this case it will be affecting the volume so that every time the kick hits, the cymbal ducks in volume and slowly increases as the kick decreases.
youll reckognize the effect from disco house and the like.
its useful for loads of stuff, you can link it to filter, eq, whatever really. i should mention its by no means instant spore drums.

splitting a sound in two (or three) is one technique to make a cool sound, lets say a bass. load the sample in a sampler, copy the sampler, highpass one, lowpass the other and play them at the same time. maybe with a layer.
the highpassed version gets the distortion we spoke about earlier, together with whatever sounds good, probably chorus, phaser and reverb or something.
lowpassed version might get abit of distortion that too, along with some eqing and other stuff.

so the same sound gets two different effect channels.

chhers logikz

has the peak controller been renamed it doesnt come up in the menu should it be in the same menu as par eq and that?

Back
Top Bottom