Beginner DJ: Need tips and advice

Rubs90

KeyControl
VIP Junglist
Hey,

My uncle always had faith that someday I would become a DJ. When I was 14 he offered me for christmas a great Mixer from Tascam, and some months later a CD-player also from Tascam. I had all the equipment, and although I was excited at first, I never really cared much. My friends used to yell at me because I should use my equipment etc, but I was kinda stupid. Recently I found drum and bass, and I have great joy listening to DnB sets (especially G-dub), especially the way they mix the songs. So I have decided to go back to the equipment and try to mix up some DnB songs. Any advice? I mean, I know practice makes perfect, but some tips would be usefull, like:

- Should I remove the main songs bass just before I pass on to the next song?
- Should I align the bassline, and if I should, how?

Etc, etc...

Buy a book called "How to DJ Properly" it will explain everythin from, dropping in to beat matching to scratchin to beat juggling... It has everything in it you can get it from HMV for like £5 its definatly a must have for beginers, I got my copy after about a year of mixing and it still taught me stuff.

Buy a book called "How to DJ Properly" it will explain everythin from, dropping in to beat matching to scratchin to beat juggling... It has everything in it you can get it from HMV for like £5 its definatly a must have for beginers, I got my copy after about a year of mixing and it still taught me stuff.

I can second that Sc0tty!! I bought that book when I forst started out and it really does help you out... Go for it mate!

It's on amazon http://www.amazon.com/DJ-Skills-essential-Mixing-Scratching/dp/0240520696/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_i

For paperback about 20 bucks.

I also found some good stuff on Amazon's related feature. Dink around there and you'll find some proper books.

Yeah i got that book. Fuckin quality. I still think the best way to learn is teachin ya self. Practice practice practice. U wont become G-Dub overnight m8, be ready to spend years on the decks b4 ur a original badman!!!

yeah teaching yourself is a good way, as long as you can count beats and bars, it's all practice from there, i know what to do but it's just getting the mixing tight.

Hey !! this forum is so good for tips !! so much parental advice !! :)

When i first started the best way i found to practice was with a mate , so we would allways be in competition of each other?
and like it totally spurs you on to do better than them !so ur constanly like must learn must learn .
For learning to scratch Qubert has like dvds were u can have a scratch competition with him ? like you set ur laptop in front of ur decks and he scratches over some bars then stops to let you ? it pure fun !!!!! almost as if he was really there , but hes not :confused:

:boxing:

what i used to do when i was droppin another tune in...as soon as it drops turn tha bass down on the tune that was already playing..it makes the drop sound more in ya face

Switching bass can be very effective, you can get pretty creative with the levels. Easiest way is to bring a tune in with no bass and then, depending on the tunes you are mixing, either 'merge' them by switching the bass slowly or swap the bass as soon as the new tune drops.

When i first started the best way i found to practice was with a mate , so we would allways be in competition of each other

If you have any mates that Dj fairly well get mixing with them.. helps so much because..

1. You dont get pissed off, give up and go sulk lol..
2. You can compete as said above.
3. Your mate will be there to give you useful tips and knowledge

Thats all i can offer aswell as my above comment!

Do you actually count beats and bars?

Even when I started I didn't actually have to count them, its just obvious when to release the record isn't it?

Do you actually count beats and bars?

Even when I started I didn't actually have to count them, its just obvious when to release the record isn't it?

It helps, but at the same time, you can always "sort of know" when to release the next track- but I suppose, that goes hand in hand with the whole 'Knowing your tracks'

Back
Top Bottom