anybody pressed their own vinyl?

filtersweeperVC

filtersweeper
Just a couple questions.
1. Is there a min order usually?
2. Do you need to cut a dub plate first?
3. Should it be mastered by a pro first, or will my "mastering" be o.k.
4. how much does it cost for a given number. ($200 for 50 or something)

think its about £50 to get two tunes mastered and pressed on a vinyl. Thats only going by what others on here have said.

i can get 2 tunes pressed to plate, fully mastered for £40. i got two tunes pressed but there not very good at all, my production wasnt up to scratch at all. if ur gonna do this make sure that the track is fucking good, its gotta sound the bollox before you give it to the engineer to be mastered, then he will just tweak it up abit.

Just a couple questions.
1. Is there a min order usually?
2. Do you need to cut a dub plate first?
3. Should it be mastered by a pro first, or will my "mastering" be o.k.
4. how much does it cost for a given number. ($200 for 50 or something)

first of all..... yes there is a minimum order.... usually 500....

do you need a dub-plate first??... not really.... but is good to have... you never really know how its gonna turn out untill you hear it played throuugh a needle....

dub-plates arent essential as they use a glass version as the "master".... this glass vinyl version costs about £70-90 usually. AND NO YOU CANT PLAY OFF IT!! haahahaha... it sounds fuked after 2 plays.... ive tried it.... haha

Mastering..... NEVER MASTER YOUR OWN SHIT!!..... what are you going to use?? ripped shitty software programs youve downloaded.... or maybe a over priced bit of software that emulates the real thing???

Goto a mastering studio..... get it done by a pro.... he will use thousands of pounds worth of kit..... VERY EXPENSIVE monitors..... usually in a room that has been reverb/echo neutralised.......

anyway..... if your in London or willing to travel to London... then the best place to go is Transitions Studio.... 020 8699 7888

hope that helps////

thanks for the proper info Rocksteady. Being from Canada, near Toronto, I was looking to see if "Sniper dubplates" was still in business, but it seems like it kicked the bucket... almost like the scene out here. LOL , well not completely yet.

Set up charge: usually around £30 - £40 (needed to set up the printing process)

Metal/Glass Masters - usually around £80 (needed to stamp the grooves into the vinyl)

Then its usually anywhere between 50p to a £1 per vinyl after that.... depending on how many you get printed. Low quantities will mean you'll pay more per record.

If you wanted Test Presses.... they are usually around £1 each..... minimum of 10 at most vinyl pressing places.... (they print these before putting them to full manufacture so you can see how they sound and look etc....)

oh and then you have the stickers...... 1000 white label stickers..... £30

Back
Top Bottom