Need help beatmatching songs with no drum beat at the start.

match it up using the rest of the tune. then take it back to the start and it will be in time.

In time you'll start to be able to mix without the drumbeat too, the atmosperics, noises etc at the start of the track are in time too, just listen for changes in them as that's where the bars will be...

one way i like to do this... start the track off then switch off the turntable you're coming out of so the drumbeat winds down. sounds nice and gives a different edge to a mix plus you get an atmospheric/musical build up to the drop of that tune*

:cowbell::cowbell::cowbell:

In time you'll start to be able to mix without the drumbeat too, the atmosperics, noises etc at the start of the track are in time too, just listen for changes in them as that's where the bars will be...

Hiya could you explian it in bit more detail please. I always thought had to beatmatch with snares and bass kick. What method do you use, how do i go about doing it. Im really intrested, glad i looked at this thread. Is it somethink to do with phrases in the tracks? Cheers for any info giving, nice 1.

Hiya could you explian it in bit more detail please. I always thought had to beatmatch with snares and bass kick. What method do you use, how do i go about doing it. Im really intrested, glad i looked at this thread. Is it somethink to do with phrases in the tracks? Cheers for any info giving, nice 1.

well if you have an intro to a track, e.g. the guitar part in the intro machete, you can match it up with the beat of another tune in the same way as you would match two beats... takes a bit of doing but it is worth it with the right combination of tunes :)

what you have to bear in mind is that most tunes will all be at the same speed, so the slower parts will still match up, but in different denominations, so 8 bars of one tune might match up with the build up at the start of another.

well if you have an intro to a track, e.g. the guitar part in the intro machete, you can match it up with the beat of another tune in the same way as you would match two beats... takes a bit of doing but it is worth it with the right combination of tunes :)

what you have to bear in mind is that most tunes will all be at the same speed, so the slower parts will still match up, but in different denominations, so 8 bars of one tune might match up with the build up at the start of another.

Cheers for that mate, nice 1. I go and give it try now :D

yeah this is more or less how I would have put it -

You're on to something when you mentioned the phrases of the intro.

Most ambient intros will be made up of a number of phrases (or sequences or whatever you wanna call them) and are a standard length 8 bars, 16 bars whatever... Cue it up at the start of the very first noise on the record, which is usually fairly easy to get exactly on, then let it go at the right point as the other is playing, as the phrase ends has the other record you're playing reached it's phrase end at exactly the same time?

Tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's a real bonus as you can pull off sick mixes which you wouldn't be able to do without this technique...

For example: get 2 tracks, one with 16 bar atmospheric intro, the other 8, start off playing the 16, let the 8 go halfway through the intros, the swooshy atmospherics mix together meaning that you can start your mix with an almighty double drop...

This is how Andy, Friction, Mampi and all the other big boys pull off those huge huge double drops that they'll start and then play as a "last tune" to end their set, or after a rewind or summat...

There you go, it took me ages to figure that one out when I was learning it!

For example: get 2 tracks, one with 16 bar atmospheric intro, the other 8, start off playing the 16, let the 8 go halfway through the intros, the swooshy atmospherics mix together meaning that you can start your mix with an almighty double drop...

o_O That sounds immense! got to learn how to do that!

yeah this is more or less how I would have put it -

You're on to something when you mentioned the phrases of the intro.

Most ambient intros will be made up of a number of phrases (or sequences or whatever you wanna call them) and are a standard length 8 bars, 16 bars whatever... Cue it up at the start of the very first noise on the record, which is usually fairly easy to get exactly on, then let it go at the right point as the other is playing, as the phrase ends has the other record you're playing reached it's phrase end at exactly the same time?

Tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's a real bonus as you can pull off sick mixes which you wouldn't be able to do without this technique...

This is how Andy, Friction, Mampi and all the other big boys pull off those huge huge double drops that they'll start and then play as a "last tune" to end their set, or after a rewind or summat...

There you go, it took me ages to figure that one out when I was learning it!

Thanks for that Greg good bit of advice. Im defo gonna learn how to pull that off. Good thing to know. Nice one for tip bro. Take it ezy

Back
Top Bottom