headphones/monitors question

ses

hey how do you guys monitor? i.e.

do u usually have both headphones on or just one? do you have both channels in the headphones or only the incoming track? just wantin to know cos i can mix almost perfectly in time with just one track comin through one headphone then il put both headphones on n put both tracks through the monitors to fine tune the mix. my mixer doesnt have split cue so can only do blind cue when both tracks are playin, anyone prefer split cue?

when I drop my tune I only have the incoming channel in my headphones but before I mix it I listen to both channels together in my headphones to listen if the beats are matching etc ..

I only have the incoming track on my headphones, and only have them on one ear, as soon as I start the mix I take them off completely though and do it all through the monitors

cue the incommin track in my headphone, and give it a little flick into the master every now and then just to make sure it's crispy.

after it's dropped, normally swap my headphones over to the track that'll be on it's way out to monitor that - again, giving it a flick into the master just to make sure it's crispy.

oh yeah, only ever have the headphone over one ear (left for me) so one ear is always hearing the full mix outa the speakers. very rarely do i take the headphone off. like to monitor constantly.

ya na.

yeah , I always have it on one ear ( for me my right ear ) so I can hear the mix in the headphones and the speakers as wel ..

see, the thing is, i would love to do that. but i just don't feel comfortable. there are times i do it, very rarely though.
just feels like i'm in total control when i've got a constant monitor going on.

cos i'm a control freak.

Yeah it's weird isn't it? I just don't feel comfortable if i've still got headphones on when I'm mixing, in lot's of way it'd be easier if I could leave them on the whole time, taking them off and on the whole time is a bit of a pain, and cueing the track up again quickly when you've pulled a rewind is harder when you've got to put your headphones on again (or do the lean over to one side and keep it on your shoulder thing, although I get a pain in my neck if I do that one too much) but I guess people are just most comfortable with the way they learnt...

Back
Top Bottom