question about Dj'ing

JanBogaerts

Hi, I'm spinning the decks about 5 to 6 months now and participating in a dj contest in 2 months, but i have a question..

When you guys have to play a gig or something do you prepare youre set or do you just go on the stage and do your thing?

Cheers

know your tunes back to front then u know what mixes in nice together. dont plan a set just go with what ur feeling.

BUT the djing contest guys mostly win by planning.

Don't plan a gig, you might as well record a cd at home and then play it at the gig. Being a djing is being crowd interaction. You're playing for an audience, crowd. You want them to have fun - and what you've planned at home might not be what they want. So get a little drunk before the gig, feel the vibe and play what you would like to hear and dance to. Know your tunes and what goes with what, work on a couple of cool mini sets, say three-five tunes in a row that you know exactly how to play in case you have trouble warming up or start crashing - Souljah's right.

Hi, I'm spinning the decks about 5 to 6 months now and participating in a dj contest in 2 months, but i have a question..

When you guys have to play a gig or something do you prepare youre set or do you just go on the stage and do your thing?

Cheers

Easy bro.... been mixin for about 5/6 years now.... and i can honestly tell you..... I have never once prepared a mix for a booking. Sammy_Dodger will be sure to back me up pn that one..... i might do a mix at home between 2 tracks and think yeh thats pretty good..... i then might... if i i still remember it... play it out.....
But peeps are different mate..... if u feel u have the confidence to just go freestyle then do it mate....... it will make u a better DJ in the end....... but sayin that.... theres absolutly no problem with preparing your set....... maybe prepare a few mixs...... prepare loads of different mixs...... but dont play a set from a tracklist!!.... unless your sum kind of genius and know exactly what sort of crowd are going to be there...... then its pretty much gonna be a 100% flop.....

Thats my opinion anyway mate...... hope it helps

:ditto:
always good to have some good mixes you know ur going to play but u dont want to locked into a one way road, when u've got a tune rolling u should be assessing ur options of the next two or three tunes, not just the next mix

:ditto:
always good to have some good mixes you know ur going to play but u dont want to locked into a one way road, when u've got a tune rolling u should be assessing ur options of the next two or three tunes, not just the next mix

good advice mate..... its a bit hard to think like that at first though to be fair

i've got a few 'combos' stacked up, ya na. a series of tunes, about 3/4 that work together, but i've got different 'ways out' of them depends on how i might want the action to follow afterwards.

with only having experience on the radio, i guess it's a bit different, because you're soley responsible for the vibe. but when it's live, you feed off the crowd.

still, it's nice to be prepared to a certain extent, but when it's out live, you can tell by peoples reactions what that like and they don't.

i'd definatly work out a little intro to get the crowd on your side though. just come in real big and smash in, then you'll be able to mould them into any shape you want.... that's from my experience of being a punter though :teeth:

IMPORTANT: Start as you mean to go on!!!

In my opinion your first tune is the most important.... peeps make their judgement of your dj'n within the firs 10min or so...... therefore if your gonna practice anything... practice your first few mixs..... then go freestyle.....

blates. put it this way. i know i'm definatly opening with :

benny page - battlefield
> original sin - don't be silly (on the first drop)
> g dub - tink ya bad
majistrate & nicol - upside down
> hazard - mr happy
hazard - killaz don't die

and then seeing what happens from there really. bit of wobble to get it going and see how the flow goes!

Riisu mate, lets hear your advice after say 20 gigs :teeth:

But Battlefield is a nice heavy intro, will get their attention.

About making your first tune heavy - do it BUT only if you really really know what you're doing (tunewise). You might just clear the floor and that will really fuck with you for the rest of the night. I'd advise blending with the previous dj, getting the floor used to you and then smashing something. If you mess up, the punters might not run off. Then again, do what you want - its your gig. But remember, your favourite tune, is not the floors. They might want Propane Nightmares instead of Noisia.

I like to just go into a gig with what i call a bag of tricks..i have a selection of tracks that i want 2 play and since i practice so much i have multiple mixes and combos i can do during my set..i try not 2 plan out sets but their r mixes that i make sure i do while im playing.:2thumbs:

If you've got plenty of time to plan a set then do it! Might aswell get the best set possible. Especially if your in a comp! If peeps are coming to see you then you may aswell give them the best possible show!

Bollocks. People don't want a perfect set - if they did, djs wouldn't be booked, an Andy C cd would suffice. A live artist plays for the audience and reacts with the audience.

But for a comp - plan it.

comp = prepare to do your best u can do .
dmc type djs when going into a comp dont play to the crowd they go there to show people what they got ,... practice practice practice ......

playing out at a night = mixed bag of tunes to cater a across the board type of raver , no harm in pre understanding what records go with what to inharnce your set , this is also known as trademark mixes ,... andy c has them ,nicky blackmarket has them blah blah , ....

Well ok then, So if i prepaire a set I have the most chance that I will win it..

Then that is what i'll do, would be nice to win the contest, first place gets the chance to play at a big dnb party!

Cheers

I have found that if i have prepapred a few songs in the beginning it helps me get over whatever preformace anxiety i might be having but usually that goes right out the window when the crowd starts to rock out and i forget about all of it and just go freestyle!

Back
Top Bottom