Building a Mixing Desk

danhowe25

Alias
So Im thinking of building myself a mixing desk as all the ones on decks.co.uk, htfr etc are all crap, and i think itd be pretty cool to have a personalised desk. has anyone else built their own desk?? got any tips?? or even better any plans?? also i was gonna try and have it so the mixer was angled up, anyone know a good way of doing this?? any help would be much appeciated.

So Im thinking of building myself a mixing desk as all the ones on decks.co.uk, htfr etc are all crap, and i think itd be pretty cool to have a personalised desk. has anyone else built their own desk?? got any tips?? or even better any plans?? also i was gonna try and have it so the mixer was angled up, anyone know a good way of doing this?? any help would be much appeciated.

My first tip would to buy yourself some wood.

Next a few nails... and maybe some liquid nails.

to angle your mixer.... cut a triangulated piece of wood.... with a 90degree angle at one end..... and a 35/30 degree slop to rest the mixer on.

Other than that..... i suggest getting yourself a midget and building your stand around that..... so while your mixing you can secretly pop your midget under your desk and be in a whole world of bearded fun......

hahahahahaha!!!

:lol_board

I aint got no help 4 ya but if u manage to do it let me know all the spec so i can make my own haha

ez

im gonna cheat though :P my mate said if i tell him what i need and get him all the stuff he'll help me build it (build it for me, i couldnt build a lego tower) just wanna get peoples opinions on whats some good materials as i havnt got the foggiest!

im gonna cheat though :P my mate said if i tell him what i need and get him all the stuff he'll help me build it (build it for me, i couldnt build a lego tower) just wanna get peoples opinions on whats some good materials as i havnt got the foggiest!

aaahhhh!!! cheater!!! BAN HIM!!

Yeah I built my own - I went to this place where they sold me everyhting I need, and even gave me some instructions on what I should do...

Now what was it called?

Oh yeah that's it, IKEA!

i had teh same idea, of building my own mixer, and i actually looked into it in depth, and promptly gave up on it after realising how much work it will be.

basicly, youre looking to get a blank PCB board, and then separate amplifiers, potentiometer, fader/crossfader, switches, analog to digital convertors if you want an FX section, power suply, etc, blah blah the list is fakin huge...
and also remeber, that after sourcing all of that, you'll have to soldier everything together, and make a faceplate.

basicly, unless you have some serious cash, your best bet is to "compromise" with a ready one.

what seems to be the issue with getting, say a DJM 800 ?
its bloody brilliant.
also check Korg's Zero 4/8.
excellent mixers, just as long as you dont scratch.

i had teh same idea, of building my own mixer, and i actually looked into it in depth, and promptly gave up on it after realising how much work it will be.

basicly, youre looking to get a blank PCB board, and then separate amplifiers, potentiometer, fader/crossfader, switches, analog to digital convertors if you want an FX section, power suply, etc, blah blah the list is fakin huge...
and also remeber, that after sourcing all of that, you'll have to soldier everything together, and make a faceplate.

basicly, unless you have some serious cash, your best bet is to "compromise" with a ready one.

what seems to be the issue with getting, say a DJM 800 ?
its bloody brilliant.
also check Korg's Zero 4/8.
excellent mixers, just as long as you dont scratch.

i werent talking about making my own mixer i meant a custom built desk that i can put my turntables and mixer on mate lol

right then 1st of all measure ur decks and mixer and decide how big u want the surface to be.

then measure how high u want it to be for most comfortable mixing

decide if u want the dex and mixa to sit in the surface or on top(ibn will take a lot more work)

then buy sheets of thick mdf ' nails ' spirit level ' some kind of saw.

voila its a mixing desk

*taken from* BDS guide to mixing desks for dumasses by a dumass. 2008

has anyone actually built their own desk?? any advice on what materials to use etc??

Seriously mine is made out of one sheet of cheap MDF (complete with coffee stains) and 2 brackets from B&Q.
After a quick bit of drilling and banging......................... Bada bing bada boom it was done.
If you look back in the general section there is a thread called 'whats your set up', you can see it on there(y)

mine is an old keyboard stand with a piece of chip board on top

top fuckin notch my son

i74lsk.jpg

33dxrfr.jpg

2cymgwy.jpg

sorry the pics of the wedge aren't better, but i'd have to disconnect everything to get a proper photo.

it's not nailed down to the main desk or anything, so can be moved about and what not (y)

Back
Top Bottom