CD DJing

anabasis

can someone school me on CD DJing; I've always mixed on vinyl and never even been near CD decks or seen someone mix on them.

I assume you can you pitch tunes up and down like vinyl, but how the hell does this work?? (obviously the ability to change pitch by slowing/speeding up playback is unique to vinyl).

I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who made the jump from vinyl to CD mixing, was it an easy transition?

plus any recommendations on decent decks?

thanks in advance

I used to hate CD decks but i've warmed to them as its too expensive to cut our tunes to dub. They are pretty simple to use and you can get your head round them with ease. My only gripe was that you can't see what's going on in the track (ie Breakdowns/lengths of intros) and also you have to be careful with your CDs as they may get dirty/scratched so the track may skip when you are in the mix.

can someone school me on CD DJing; I've always mixed on vinyl and never even been near CD decks or seen someone mix on them.

I assume you can you pitch tunes up and down like vinyl, but how the hell does this work?? (obviously the ability to change pitch by slowing/speeding up playback is unique to vinyl).

I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who made the jump from vinyl to CD mixing, was it an easy transition?

plus any recommendations on decent decks?

thanks in advance

Watz up....i made the switch from vinyl to cd's about 2 years ago. it was kinda weird @ first but once u get the feel for them you'll never go back. The pitch control is just like a turntables and you pretty much us them the same way. i started off with 2 turntables then i got a 3rd and i loved them. i actually swore by them for about 7 years. i would refuse 2 use cdj's, i was one of those strictly vinyl guys. One day a buddy of mine got a pioneer cdj1000 and he brought it over for a mix session, i had a few songs on cd and have never mixed cds so i was curious about trying them. At first i felt like i was cheating on a girlfriend or something (it just didn't feel right).
After a few times mixing on it, i noticed i was starting to enjoy it. About a month later i was playing a rave in Costa Rica and the turntables had broke earlier on in the night (something that happens often) only the cdjs were working. i had brought my cd book with me and with about a month an half of practicing with them i felt confident enough to give it a try. So anyways to make a long story short, i ended up pulling off the set, had 1 of the best times ever playing live and as soon as i got back to California i ran out and bought 2 pioneer cdj1000's and have loved them ever since...
I still use turntables every now n then mainly 2 shut up all the people that want to talk shit4 not playin vinyl....i just tell them good mixing is good mixing no matter what you use.
View attachment 2388

Last edited:

No. Every dj cd deck has pitch change. You use it exactly as you use it on a record deck. In fact good decks allow you to change bpm without changing key - no smurfing of sound.

Some cd decks have platters that spin like a record. You push them around exactly as you would a record. Oh, some have platters that don't spin but you can still adjust pitch on them.

If you fuck up, you just hit rewind and don't have to mess with needles.

Mixing with cd decks is extremely easy because of the pitch change options and cue buttons. Instead of having to cue up exactly and react to platter spinup, you press play and the track starts playing exactly where you want it, i.e. the beginning, the drop or anywhere else. Great for double dropping.

I'd recommend Axis 8 or 9 decks to start off with. Cheap, tough and a shitload of options including effects that put the Pioneer 600 to shame.

much appreciated for the replies!

im sure you should be able to find some decent tutorials on youtube, what made you want to change

sold my records and decks a few years back, certainly don't have space or for them now! want to get back into DJing, and can't be arsed building up a collection again especially when I've got most of what I'd want to play on CD already. and a vinyl habit is a verrrrry expensive addiction, not going there again!

No. Every dj cd deck has pitch change. You use it exactly as you use it on a record deck. In fact good decks allow you to change bpm without changing key - no smurfing of sound.

Some cd decks have platters that spin like a record. You push them around exactly as you would a record. Oh, some have platters that don't spin but you can still adjust pitch on them.

If you fuck up, you just hit rewind and don't have to mess with needles.

Mixing with cd decks is extremely easy because of the pitch change options and cue buttons. Instead of having to cue up exactly and react to platter spinup, you press play and the track starts playing exactly where you want it, i.e. the beginning, the drop or anywhere else. Great for double dropping.

I'd recommend Axis 8 or 9 decks to start off with. Cheap, tough and a shitload of options including effects that put the Pioneer 600 to shame.

cheers, this was exactly the info I was after!

CDJ for teh win!!!!

i made the switch about 2 years ago.... its alot cheaper than wax & u can do more w/ ur music.

as for pitch and what not, it workx the same as vinyl

sorry to bump this one up; I've just been offered Denon 1800f decks...does anyone know if these are any good, especially for beatmixing? cheers.

personally i wouldnt get rid of ur vinyl decks, jus add cdjs to ur set up
i need to get one sharpish, mainly so i can rinse passive/aggressive's ghost town remix!
and i've got a 320 copy of sweet dreams remix knocking about on here, shhhhh!

CD decks suck the only reason i use them is cos i cant affrod to cut mine and other peoples tunage to dub :(

I fi could i would

VINLY 100% FTW

I couldn't agree more, but sadly I don't have space or money for vinyl/decks. needs must n'all that.

anyone know anything about these 1800f's? can't find any reviews online strangely.

$marty said:
My only gripe was that you can't see what's going on in the track (ie Breakdowns/lengths of intros)

Have you had a go at the Pioneer 1000 MK3's? they have a better display than the MK2's kinda takes care of that. bought a pair a few months back takes a bit getting used to but you can "read" the track so to say as like on vinyl with the grooves.

Back
Top Bottom