Where do i start?

B1aDe

Hear me now!
Alright!

Basicly i'm starting to get into dnb... i've been a bit of a fan for a few years but now i'm really starting to take to it. Basicly i've bought myself 2xpt1000 turntables and a mixer off ebay plus i've got myself a few viynl and i'm wanting to know whats the best way i'm gonna learn to be able to learn to mix dnb??

thanks B1aDe

look at some tutorials on youtube. there might not be a specific one for dnb but the principles are the same across dance music.

yeah. just find a style that suits you. there's enough help about on the net, and dj forums etc.

learn to pitch ride and you'll more or less be set really.

thanks! i've had a look at the dj tutor vids on you tube so i'm kinda getting the idea bearing in mind im a complete novice. I guess just plenty of practice and i will get the feel soon enough

thanks! i've had a look at the dj tutor vids on you tube so i'm kinda getting the idea bearing in mind im a complete novice. I guess just plenty of practice and i will get the feel soon enough

i'm a beginner and im sorta gettin the hang of it now

Most people on this site are really into the way "TC" djs so i suggest you try and copy his style:nurr_nur:

Only joking, the absolute basics are learning how a song is structured into bars etc... i would explain it but it probably wont make sense.But im sure there is probably an old post on here that would explain it.

Then once you know about that then its all trial and error.

look forward listening to your mix on here next week:whipem:

:coffee:

When first mixing dnb start with simple dnb with simple and similar beat patterns, what i did was use two liquidy tunes with long intros (drum beats) then you can practice matching the beats while its nice and simple before all the synths and bass come in and confuse you.

The 1st time you try beat matching dont even use headphone just put the fader in the middle, and get use to how the matched beats should sound, and when one tune starts galloping away get use to touching the platter/ changing pitch to slow it down so that there in time again. Just keep practising at it, remember once you learn to beat match well, you can start do all types of mad stuff, it will take a few weeks to get it perfected but its worth it

so a few weeks to learn the beatmatching? people ask me all the time if im a dj when i say i like to make drum and bass, i tried it, seemed awful difficult. good fun though, might start at some point you know

i've got myself

soulpride- the mule/harry the ginger
tiwsted individual- Hand grenade/clipz remix
clipz-new generation
Brockie+ed sold- represents(chase and status rmx)
die and clipz- number 1 roni size mix

I've been having a practice today and i'm finding it really hard to seperate everything in my head when trying to mix. It all sounds like a bit of a mess if that makes any sense

Do you understand what I mean about learning on 2 records wiv 'same sort of beat'
eg. die clipz - number 1 is the same beat pattern of all your tunes, except 'new generation', if you notice that has a differnt beat.

I'd start with playing 'represent' and then finding the first beat, 'drum kick' in hand greande (original not version with gay flute, as original is simpler) and as the new bar starts on represents push hand granade in so that the beats are in time, 1 will enevitably be faster so you'll have to practice touching the platter to slow it down/speed it up, just untill you get the concept of beat matching and understand how it works. This might not be the right way to learn, but its how I taught myself to mix and I'm doin ok.

it's a bit like drumming really. it's learning how to seperate one thing from the other, and once you clock that, it'll become a lot easier.

when you're clocking those snare hits, you'll know what it begins to sound like to be 'locked in' then it's just keeping it there and learning and listening for when they're slightly going out.

it does take some time, and some people get it quicker than others, and some never do.

best thing is to just practice practice practice!

Yo, fordt off please dont try to dj like any of the good djs you like. Practice, practice, practice. Find the sound you like and truly give it all that you have . I mean take it seriouisly, i know it might start of as just a hobby, but the more you do it ----- you'll see what i mean. "PITCH IS KEY".. Dude i wish you all the best....RESPECT.....

Yeh practice is the key, a lot of people start it and give up
cause it seems too hard but if you keep at it, it will come
to ya. When I started I couldn't get my head round beatmatching
but I just kept at it cause I really wanted to learn how to DJ and
eventually it just clicks. Like riisu said, learning how to seperate
is the key, it all falls into place after a while so just keep at it mate.
There are loads of tutorials and stuff out there to get ya started if
your having trouble with beatmatching, etc. Anyway just stick with
it mate and you'll be loving it soon!!

:jackson:
Do you understand what I mean about learning on 2 records wiv 'same sort of beat'
eg. die clipz - number 1 is the same beat pattern of all your tunes, except 'new generation', if you notice that has a differnt beat.

I'd start with playing 'represent' and then finding the first beat, 'drum kick' in hand greande (original not version with gay flute, as original is simpler) and as the new bar starts on represents push hand granade in so that the beats are in time, 1 will enevitably be faster so you'll have to practice touching the platter to slow it down/speed it up, just untill you get the concept of beat matching and understand how it works. This might not be the right way to learn, but its how I taught myself to mix and I'm doin ok.

After countless attempts back and forth between these 2 tunes i managed something that actually would pass as half decent! Fairly pleased with myself :rik: . I'm not gonna be quitting on this... no way. It's just made me hungry for more

If you have any mates who mix ask then to teach you to catch the beat, then once you've got that learn to beat match. Then once you've got familliar with doing both of those well, start experimenting with the EQ's. Thats was my learining curve anyway.
:jackson:

Back
Top Bottom