Strong/Weak production values?

Dj Jammin

VIP Junglist
Read a post by Lokki Earlier about the state of the dancefloor today and how people have weak production values. Can someone explain exactly what this means and give me examples of artists with weak production values and artists with strong production values.

id expect hes on about the 'pre-set' producers who create one synth line ***cough 'clipz' cough*** and just use it in ever bloody track they make. Twisted Ind., G Dub, Hazard, Pendulum an drumsound have all been guilty of this, but if it aint broke, eh?

Strong prod. value producers would be the likes of spor, sub focus, bad ace inc (imo :D) calyx, lynx, etc all trying to make there next tune as different as the last one!

just my interpretation tho :D

What I meant by this was that the approach to a lot of dancefloor production (not all!) is to knock tunes out that don’t really take time to be well produced or pay much attention to actual music. I should have really said ‘producers approach to making tunes’ instead of specifically production values.

I’m not talking about people like G Dub or TC but the hundreds of copycat producers around at the minute..even the ones that sample directly from these guys.

My overall point was that a lot of DnB has a horrible throw away mentality at the minute, where tunes are knocked out like big macs,..and have about as much soul! I mean there is one producer in particular who I have met and im not gonna name, but he’s a big producer, his knowledge of music was shit, and he is a ‘respected’ producer…

I mean don’t get me wrong Dillinja, prime example of a great producer that makes fuckin heavy dancefloor shit, but at the same time it has real texture to the sounds, real bass…

Yeah that’s my fuckin problem..WHERE HAS THE FUCKING BASS GONE!

Its like its gone full circle..we used to look outside for influences and now somehow people are looking inside dnb for influences which has in my opinion made for pretty crappy sounding production.

It is an opinion.

Iguess ..i think of dnb in the context of it being music not just something to dance around too mashed off your face..lol ..
im getting old….

yeah yeah..totally..im not saying for a minute they arent...opinions are fine. and if you read that original comment in its context youll see what i meant...that people slag of penduklum when they were good producers

Actually im a big fan of Twisted..cos he actually came through with fresh ideas back then and got ripped off hard by D minds..
I also really like G Dub..they cant do no wrong..im not against that style at all when its done right.

Last edited:
Its like its gone full circle..we used to look outside for influences and now somehow people are looking inside dnb for influences which has in my opinion made for pretty crappy sounding production.

Dillinja in 2004 - "A lot of the people who are producing now are influenced only by drum 'n' bass so they're losing contact with the outside world. It's a really narrow-minded sound right now. Years ago the producers were listening to all sorts of styles to make their music -- they were into hip-hop and jazz and hearing new sounds. Now there's a new generation that grew up on drum 'n' bass and that's all they know. It's like it's created its own monster."

And now Pendulum have said the same.

that quote from dillinja is bullshit there's shitloads of fresh new brilliant drum n bass coming out. I seriously think that if i keep looking at these forums im gonna start thinking like some of you lot and i really don't want that...

that quote from dillinja is bullshit there's shitloads of fresh new brilliant drum n bass coming out. I seriously think that if i keep looking at these forums im gonna start thinking like some of you lot and i really don't want that...

Yeah mate, I mean what does Dillinja know, I mean fuck, who is he and what has he done for the scene? :-x Why don't you call his tracks clownstep while you're at it. Slagging off dnb's most profilic producer is bollocks.

Do you understand the difference between 'brilliant' dnb and 'inspired by other sources'? A track can be 'brilliant' while being hermetic (look it up in the dictionary).:weakest:

I suggest you take a listen to jungle/dnb from 1992-1997 - yesterday's music was fresher than today's dnb. The kids making the music didnt know what they were doing and weren't afraid to take chances, much like today's dubstep/grime producers.

:hype:

im not for one second syaing there isnt loads of great dnb still about, infact there is more than ever IMO...

Dustek not once did i insult dillinja's skills as a dj or producer, i simply said that he's talking shit. It's pure forum snobbery, i've been looking at forums for a long long time (Not always drum n bass) And every single one has snobbery on it. Doesn't matter what it's about (programming, hacking, gardening) there is always gonna be people who look down on a certain style/way of doing something/idea. I just hate that atmosphere.

To put it simply: I will listen to a tune (whether it be Wobbly jump up/Liquid/Nerospunk/techstep or anything else) if it puts a smile on my face and i enjoy the music regardless of how good the production techniques or influences are. Then i will like it.

Wheras i get the impression that you'll turn your nose up at anything by a producer who generally does dancefloor tunes. "It's not by noisia,break, or teebee and calyx therfore i do not like it"

you might wanna check out Ed rus and Optical's interview on dnba that explains a bit about good production and what it is...

What was your point?

the reason i said to watch the Ed Rush and Optical interview is that they make the point that i was trying to make about how a lot of dnb has lost soul recently and has started sounding too plastic and electronic and the rich, organic sound has gone ...

Woop woop handbags at ten paces. Are the painters in ladies ?? LOL

I hear what a lot of you are sayin. So lets take Dillinja as an example. We all know he can write just about any peice of music he would want to , and it would sound fat. But he stick with certain formulas. Cos tehy work, they make the floor go wild..\Like a shark..it doesn't need to evolve its deadly...you wanna tell me a shark is borning...lets go swimmin bitch he he so what we're saying is we want eh odd track from these cats taht are a bit left field, or deeper or whatever, but a surprise...
As for copycats...a few of them have gone on to be highly orginla, tghey were just learning teh ropes by copying teh sound tehy wanted...but some producers and a lot of MC's and DJ's should leave it alone, co sall they do is clog it up for the dedicated people who will still be playing DnB in 15 to 20 years time, and still love the music.
THat is my take on it, but hopefully someone want a good all slanging match so bring it :end_of_wo

Last edited:
What was your point?

the reason i said to watch the Ed Rush and Optical interview is that they make the point that i was trying to make about how a lot of dnb has lost soul recently and has started sounding too plastic and electronic and the rich, organic sound has gone ...

I agree....but there is so much new talent that is blindin....and soulful...:hagglers:

i wasnt having a go.. just saying not sure what response jammin wanted...that post wasnt really a question ya git meeeeeeee.....

and its not musical snobbery as far as genres is concerned cos i love good dancefloor stuff..and would say that there are some wicked technical prodcuers in that genre, G Dub for example.....

But there is sooooo much chaff too that it can be quite cringe-worthy at times.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom