Pendulum talk about forum critics

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterM

VIP Junglist
http://www.beatportal.com/blogs/post/pendulum-strike-back/

Pendulum have always been an act to drive debate and controversy within the drum & bass community.

Since ‘Hold Your Colour’ and their collaboration with Freestylers, many have seen this Australian dance act as being either too commercial or regarded as saviours of the scene.

This week, Pendulum release their new single ‘Granite’, a track from their forthcoming album that looks to drive the band more towards a live sound.

The track takes the act from their previous album, ‘Hold Your Colour’, and builds on their live elements.

Heavily present within this track are heavy guitars, full vocals and big drums; a hybrid between metal and drum & bass, which will appeal to some and not to others.

Many within the drum & bass community decided to label the act as a sell out.

After a lot of criticism on drum & bass forum, Dogs on Acid, Pendulum decided to respond with this comment:

“Okay, I’ve had just about enough of this.

“I don’t mind when people aren’t particularly fond of our tracks - with every tune we make I go through different stages of loving it and hating it, so I can empathise with pretty much every comment made so far.

“The only comments I don’t get are the ones saying we’ve ‘sold out’.

“I define ‘selling out’ as not only making music for profit, but also making ANYTHING you don’t really want to make for ANY reason (including fame, pleasing fans, staying true to a genre, or un-necessarily repeating yourself out of fear of progression).

“The only way I think I could have really ‘sold myself out’ is if I had made any more tracks that sounded like vault / another planet / still grey etc.

“Those tunes are cool for what they are, but I’ve moved on in both my musical taste / influences, and my ambitions for this group…

“If you want to blame anyone for our change in direction, blame Led Zeppelin, The Shadows, The Surf Coasters, Dead Kennedys, Dick Dale, Howlin’ Wolf, Weather Report, Tool, In Flames, Herb Alpert, Underoath and all the other stuff I’ve been listening to instead of drum and bass.

“We have fended the vultures off this project so much that it would probably fill a novel if I tried to explain it all.

“All I’ll say is, I wanted to make every single thing we’ve ever put out.

“Saying we ‘sold out’ is talking out your ass.

“I never wanted to make straight up dnb — it was never on the cards.

“Oh, and by the way - I’m not sure if drum and bass is dead or dying (I’ve been in the studio / on tour too long to tell).

“However, if your genre was flimsy enough to be knocked over by ONE SINGLE RECORDING ARTIST who happened to - god forbid - sell some fucking records for the first time in about 5/6 years, then I’m glad it was us that got to drive the final stake through its stale pig shit heart - and good riddance.

“Wake me up when your genre is making something that people outside the scene think is worth listening to again.’

The whole response can be seen by visiting the Dogs on Acid forum website.

In the meantime, check ‘Granite’ out now and judge for yourself.

But whatever you do, just don’t tell Pendulum what you think!

And hold your breath for the Dillinja remix coming soon.....

Niiiice! If there was anyone who didn't hate pendulum before, this is sure to change their minds...

They have made some fair points but, as they have established themselves primarily as a drum and bass act, they haven't really done themselves justice by saying:

However, if your genre was flimsy enough to be knocked over by ONE SINGLE RECORDING ARTIST who happened to - god forbid - sell some fucking records for the first time in about 5/6 years, then I’m glad it was us that got to drive the final stake through its stale pig shit heart - and good riddance.

Good going... :2thumbs:

“However, if your genre was flimsy enough to be knocked over by ONE SINGLE RECORDING ARTIST who happened to - god forbid - sell some fucking records for the first time in about 5/6 years, then I’m glad it was us that got to drive the final stake through its stale pig shit heart - and good riddance.

“Wake me up when your genre is making something that people outside the scene think is worth listening to again.’

ha ha ha ha ha.

hopefully no-one will wake him up and he can stay sleeping.

i totally agree with him!
I can see why hes angry i would be too... i would probably be worse than that though.....

Last edited:
GENIOUS ! I LOVE IT WHEN THE INDUSTRY TYPE COME ON LINE NOT UNDER ALAS'S AND TALK THE TALK .

YOU DONT NEED ANYONE TO VIA FORUMS TO TATTOO THE TONGUES BROWN , ITS ALL FASHION NOT FUNCTION AND SHIT THE BED JUST LIKE THE PROGIDY YOU CAN PLAY TO A MILLION PEOPLE DO WHAT YOU LOVE AND GET PAID FOR IT WHILE 90%+ OF FORUM USERS "TRY" N PRODUCE "WANT" TO BE DJS AND BASICALLY DO WHAT YOUR DOING ? THE THING IS THEY CANT GET OFF THE STARTING BLOCKS AND INSTEAD OF NETWORKING THEY JUST COLD DIS A SCENE THERE INTO ... ? HELLO ... NO LOGIC NO COMMONSENCE WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT ..
PEOPLE HATE LOSERS BUT THEY DONT HALF HATE PEOPLE THEY CONSIDER TO OR GOING TO BE WINNERS , THEY WILL ONLY BE CELEBRATING THE WINNERS IF THEY COULD BE INVOVLED ... ? GUYS YOU DONT NEED A NET TWAT LIKE MYSELF TO TELL YOU , YOU HAVE A GOOD THING , USE THERE NEGITIVE NRG AND TURN IT INTO POSITIVE AND KEEP MAKING TUNES THAT MAKE PEOPLE IN THE DANCE HAPPY , BECAUSE AT THE END OF THE DAY MUSIC IS ONLY ENTERTAINMENT .. THAT ENTERTAINMENT MAKES A FUCK LOAD OF PEOPLE HAPPY ? END OF STORY .. MAY BE NOT WHAT ME AS A PERSON IS INTO AT THIS POINT IN TIME *SORRY ABOUT THAT* BUT FOR YOUR OWN SANITY AND CREATIVITY DO WHAT YOU CONSIDER THIS BEST FOR YOU AND YOUR BUSINESS ... GOODLUCK AGAIN WITH THE FUTURE !!!!

Last edited:
i dont think theyve sold out cos theyre jus doin wat they want too, but pendulum are gay!!!:rinsed:

Last edited:
i dont think theyve sold out cos theyre jus doin wat they want too, but pendulum are gay!!!:rinsed:
Damn straight they are Sc, fucking asshole talkin bout the drum an the bass like that, I was sort of thinking he was speaking sense about the sell out bit, but then to my horror I heard some unkind words pointed in dnb's direction, he made money off the Junglist's and stuff, I hope he looses his hearing that way he can never punish the music world again with his shit music

:rik:-pendu...who

GENIOUS ! I LOVE IT WHEN THE INDUSTRY TYPE COME ON LINE NOT UNDER ALAS'S AND TALK THE TALK .

YOU DONT NEED ANYONE TO VIA FORUMS TO TATTOO THE TONGUES BROWN , ITS ALL FASHION NOT FUNCTION AND SHIT THE BED JUST LIKE THE PROGIDY YOU CAN PLAY TO A MILLION PEOPLE DO WHAT YOU LOVE AND GET PAID FOR IT WHILE 90%+ OF FORUM USERS "TRY" N PRODUCE "WANT" TO BE DJS AND BASICALLY DO WHAT YOUR DOING ? THE THING IS THEY CANT GET OFF THE STARTING BLOCKS AND INSTEAD OF NETWORKING THEY JUST COLD DIS A SCENE THERE INTO ... ? HELLO ... NO LOGIC NO COMMONSENCE WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT ..
PEOPLE HATE LOSERS BUT THEY DONT HALF HATE PEOPLE THEY CONSIDER TO OR GOING TO BE WINNERS , THEY WILL ONLY BE CELEBRATING THE WINNERS IF THEY COULD BE INVOVLED ... ? GUYS YOU DONT NEED A NET TWAT LIKE MYSELF TO TELL YOU , YOU HAVE A GOOD THING , USE THERE NEGITIVE NRG AND TURN IT INTO POSITIVE AND KEEP MAKING TUNES THAT MAKE PEOPLE IN THE DANCE HAPPY , BECAUSE AT THE END OF THE DAY MUSIC IS ONLY ENTERTAINMENT .. THAT ENTERTAINMENT MAKES A FUCK LOAD OF PEOPLE HAPPY ? END OF STORY .. MAY BE NOT WHAT ME AS A PERSON IS INTO AT THIS POINT IN TIME *SORRY ABOUT THAT* BUT FOR YOUR OWN SANITY AND CREATIVITY DO WHAT YOU CONSIDER THIS BEST FOR YOU AND YOUR BUSINESS ... GOODLUCK AGAIN WITH THE FUTURE !!!!

should have read this before posting, I have never really liked pendulum though, of all his dnb tunes I liked 1, I know it's opinion but I have heard better tunes on here

the bit where he says

"However, if your genre was flimsy enough to be knocked over by ONE SINGLE RECORDING ARTIST who happened to - god forbid - sell some fucking records for the first time in about 5/6 years, then I’m glad it was us that got to drive the final stake through its stale pig shit heart - and good riddance."

i think people can take this out of context... people were moaning about Pendulum killing dnb...and its true if it was (which its not) that feeble then it deserves to die.... hes not saying he wants it to die,..... now lets not all be dumb enough to just focus on one sentence out of context...which clearly everyone is going to in traditionla forum stylee!

granite is shit but who cares, if they dont like d'n'b anymore thats there choice. if they keep releasing in the charts then people will notcie d'n'b more.

bringing more people and more bigger nights.

and when ive made loads of hot tunes these people can buy them! woo! lol

no need for some of the comments by them tho

they never did stick to one genre really.....
rob swire does the majority of production with pendulum, el hornet is the dj and has also done production with 'boys & girls' with aquasky and 'hollywood' with gridlok....what has the other guy done?

i think soon they will break up and all go their own ways.......
-rob will start a indi band called the somethings
-el will keep djing and collabing with other producers
-and the other guy will go back to perth and work behind a bar.....

^^^^^
ring of truth, but they have defied the odds so far.

I think the post is quite bitter, but justified.

They have every right to reply to their critics. I just think its amazing how negatively the majority of the scene seems to have turned against them, and for such pathetic, lame small minded reasons. If a band can be so huge and then so despised in the space of a couple of years, for the things they have done, it makes me wonder if I respect dnb anymore ... its sad.

no offence.

/sigh

Hey everyone,

First of all, I think its a shame that one of the genre's most successful producers is leaving the scene, i really wanted another "Hold Your Colour" .

Secondly, Elhornet made a suprise visit to Perth and played a free show on Friday night and it was off the hook !!

1. pendulum did sell out!
they came into disagreement about a record deal with break beat kaos & thier mentor DJ Fresh and brought out a new version of hold your colour with 2 track changes so they could get the money coz they wouldnt be able to bring bloodsugar/axle grinder out on warner brothers on thier new album

2. no1 is asking them to stick to drum & bassand evern the drum & bass artits who cross genres create decent music, look wot adam f did with redman. i cant believe they sed they dont want to do tunes like vault, still grey & another planet but they r 3 of their best tunes imo. granite is a drum n bass tune hands down and it is jus a shitter version of bloodsugar so i dunno wot they r tryin to say there about it being progressive

3. that response is just petty, can u imagine if any other well known music act said this sort of shit, oh wait i forgot they r rockstars!its jus playground politics
"if your genre was flimsy enough to be knocked over by ONE SINGLE RECORDING ARTIST who happened to - god forbid - sell some fucking records for the first time in about 5/6 year"
aren't they a little flimsy for bein knocked by a few ppls opinions (and thats all they are) but if that opinion is widespread then it is usually true
pendulum have sold out and are now shit!

1. pendulum did sell out!
they came into disagreement about a record deal with break beat kaos & thier mentor DJ Fresh and brought out a new version of hold your colour with 2 track changes so they could get the money coz they wouldnt be able to bring bloodsugar/axle grinder out on warner brothers on thier new album

3. that response is just petty, can u imagine if any other well known music act said this sort of shit, oh wait i forgot they r rockstars!its jus playground politics
"if your genre was flimsy enough to be knocked over by ONE SINGLE RECORDING ARTIST who happened to - god forbid - sell some fucking records for the first time in about 5/6 year"
aren't they a little flimsy for bein knocked by a few ppls opinions (and thats all they are) but if that opinion is widespread then it is usually true
pendulum have sold out and are now shit!

1 - so Bryan G is a sell out because he releases ANOTHER V compile album with the same re-releases we've already had? (Planet V, V Forever, V Classic)
Is Fresh not a sell-out too as label owner of BBK?

Grooverider did an album for Sony, what about that. Sell out?

I dont think so, and I havent heard them accused of it lately either.

3 - they have every right to answer like that on the forums; thats the point of a forum, even for well known people. They have always been online, and I can think of at least one other very well known dnb artist, Goldie, who has defended himself online in an obnoxious manner. But as he was seen to be upholding the image of steet tough dnb everyone ate it up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom