midi keyboard on reason 2.5

Toejam

OOOBEY DOOBEY
VIP Junglist
I have been using reason 2.5 for a while now, ive completely ignored using/buying a midi.

Excuse my ignorance but how easy are they to set up to the software?

i understand computers but Midi's are unknown territory for me

cheers TJ

its really easy mate, if your gettin a usb one reason will probably recognize it straight away, if any probelems do accur just click under the preferences menu in reason and here you should be able to sort out the connection

I have been using reason 2.5 for a while now, ive completely ignored using/buying a midi.

Excuse my ignorance but how easy are they to set up to the software?

i understand computers but Midi's are unknown territory for me

cheers TJ

u should probly upgrade to a better version of reason imo!:rinsed:

i recently went to buy monitor for my pc (home sale) and he had a midi keyboard for sale aswell 30 pounds, it was quite big had pitch bend etc... obviously it was old but would it do desired effects on reason 2.5 ??

dont start saying uuprade cos im too skint

would a keyboard with just a midi connection work straight with reason 2.5?

my old man got me a large keyboard with a amidi output for crimbo yay!

i dont have the cable to connect it yet cos im skint until new year.

am i right that its 25squid for a midi usb cable?

thats the cheapest i could find?

dont mention ebay cant be arsed with that

my old man got me a large keyboard with a amidi output for crimbo yay!

i dont have the cable to connect it yet cos im skint until new year.

am i right that its 25squid for a midi usb cable?

thats the cheapest i could find?

dont mention ebay cant be arsed with that

If you don't have a soundcard with a midi input which means its budget, then forget about making any professional sounding tracks, you'll be strictly messing about.

eeeekk! i have a custom made pc and i cant remember what soundcard it has.

Can you explain a bit more?

If you don't have a soundcard with a midi input which means its budget, then forget about making any professional sounding tracks, you'll be strictly messing about.

:ipfft@u:

we aint all rich like you, we make do with what we can afford

besides, he diddnt say he was making tracks to get played by andy c and pressed on vinyl, he just wanted to know about pluging a keyboard into his pc

right, i'll get back to "messing about" now :-/

:ipfft@u:

we aint all rich like you, we make do with what we can afford

besides, he diddnt say he was making tracks to get played by andy c and pressed on vinyl, he just wanted to know about pluging a keyboard into his pc

right, i'll get back to "messing about" now :-/

A fair sound card with midi will put you back the cost of a few CDs, hardly fucking Ferrari territory. Did I fucking suggest a top-of-line card for $2000? I pity you if you can't afford a used Audigy 2.

Any sound card that doesn't have midi is most probably the bottom end of the bottom end.

If you're spending money on buying a keyboard for production purposes then you should also be spending it on a sound card that doesn't suck balls. There are sound cards without midi that are great but basically, a good guide is that the more inputs and outputs a card has, the better it it is.

Now back to his question: If you don't have a midi input and if you don't whats in there, then your soundcard is probably seriously crap abd this will affect the ease of your work with Reason. Shell out some more money for a quality budget card, you'll notice the difference after a very short while.

a few tips...u can still score decent non-usb midi controllers/keyboards on ebay/buy and sell/craigs list/kijiji etc....but u r just as good as ur soundcard(which u could still get a deal on, many places)...but the bet is in usb controllers/keyboards....
tip#2...don't forget the octave switch when using ur midi keyboard in reason....
tip#3 look both ways when crossing the street
now for tip#4.......it'll cost ya....peace:pimp:

A fair sound card with midi will put you back the cost of a few CDs, hardly fucking Ferrari territory. Did I fucking suggest a top-of-line card for $2000? I pity you if you can't afford a used Audigy 2.

You can pick up a decent external for the same price as a used audigy 2 - Creative stuff isnt very good for creating a decent sounding mix on, ever (my computer used to have one, and my mixes always came out sounding aweful, while when i used school macs with shitty tascams, the (headphone) mixes sounded pretty decent) Creative stuff is great for games though!

Any sound card that doesn't have midi is most probably the bottom end of the bottom end.
yes, it is, definitely!

If you're spending money on buying a keyboard for production purposes then you should also be spending it on a sound card that doesn't suck balls. There are sound cards without midi that are great but basically, a good guide is that the more inputs and outputs a card has, the better it it is.
And monitors, and outboard equipment, and a rackmount, and a mixing desk, and software instruments... could go on all day really.

alternitively, he can buy what he can afford, when he can afford it. Or would you rather he buy a Creative Audigy 2 now, and be stuck with a consumer grade soundcard for a longer period than he would be on his onboard, if he were to save up and buy a firepod or something?

As for the 'just messing about' comment... everyone has to start somewhere, surely.

A budget but much better (probably) sound card + keyboard is going to cost just a couple of quid (10?) more than a keyboard + midi -> usb adapter... Even an Audigy is better than a motherboard sound card or something bought for a fiver.

There's messing about and there's 'messing about'. Adding a keyboard qualifies as 'messing about' phase 2 or 3.

I used an Audigy and a midi keyboard for a tenner at first. Made my best tracks back in the day :)

ok... i finally got my lead through the post, i plugged it in and nothing ????

just for preference its a yamaha portasound pss-660

i noodled about a while but like i said in my first thread i really dont know how they work

can someone tell me how the basics of it works?

i dont want too mess too many settings up until i know what im doing:alf:

Back
Top Bottom