question about mixing 2 tracks

AuGsY

DJ apprentice
When ever i mix 2 tracks i usually lower the bass on the one to about half and the other at normal but i have noticed that the bass will not sound right at all. Should i just kill the bass when mixing with another track or lower it to a very low DB level. I also notice in some sets I have that the DJ uses the bass from 2 tracks.

Any advice is appreciated

you got the right idea to not max your bass on both tracks out, you can be a bit subtle. It depends on the tunes. I wouldnt totally kill the bass, it will make the sound on that tune too washed out and you need to keep some impact in there without getting a muddy sound.
dunno if I can advise any better than that sorry ...

it completely depends on the two tracks you're mixing and this will be different for every mix u do. it's all about just practicing over and over again with different tunes, if two tunes go together well you can have them at pretty much the same level but i always leave one channel slightly higher then switch which channel has the bass louder at the end of a phrase. but try to never have the bass on one channel turned right up when you're still mixing cos when you cut out the tune you need to be able to give the tune you're mixing into a bit of a boost as you're loosing some dB's from taking out the other tune.

i always eq so my upfaders can be pushed to the top and sounds perfect, adjustments on the equilizer and gain will come over time, it just takes a lot of practice ... record your mix and listen to it on various stereos helps provide a good way to see how ur eq'ing can improve.
No one can sorta of tell you the best way because everyone does it slightly differently, my only advice is use gain rarther than upfaders for volume control, and be very carefull when adjusting eq's on the plus side, and never roll two basslines together this will end in some smoking old speakers flappy around trying to cope with too much bass, how much to cut a bass line is something you will have to learn yourself over time .... Gud Luck :respekt:

Last edited:
i always eq so my upfaders can be pushed to the top and sounds perfect, .......
No one can sorta of tell you the best way because everyone does it slightly differently, my only advice is use gain rarther than upfaders for volume control, and be very carefull when adjusting eq's on the plus side, .....

yep, very important to set your gain/trim knobs before you even get in the mix, then use the volume faders or crossfader as needed. put the needle to the bassiest part of the track to set your gain properly

yep, very important to set your gain/trim knobs before you even get in the mix, then use the volume faders or crossfader as needed. put the needle to the bassiest part of the track to set your gain properly

yea i always set my gains before i get into the mix, i never used to till i found a few tracks that were recorded waay to quiet.

Thanks for the advice

Very easy before you get into the mix que up the bass part of the tune in your headphone and check the levels on your mixer eq..make shure there balanced...always start w/ very litttle bass like -2db will work then mix the yune in w/ -2 db on the bass n 0db for the mids and always keep the highs on 0dbs,,,then just up chanel your mix in make shure your on beat perfect for a long mix, start mixing those mids together n when your song builds up n is ready to drop ,then switch those bass lines up.leave the song that was playing bass now at -0db n the other were the firtst song was playing at if you get a sudden change in sound because the bass change was to drastic then after the change over wait 4 count n drop that bass right back in there at -2dbs n it will sound sick...there alot of trail n error to relly pick up on the right way to drop it but play everything by ear n you should have a good idea what you need to do...Peace Dj Ariez

Approach it musically, you'll have a lot more success. Don't try and be analytical. I find the best way is to just practice and find what I like, what I think sounds alright - and I'll be pretty sure other people will think it's alright too. I've not had any complaints so far!

Back
Top Bottom