Most Skill?

Who would you guys say has the most skill of all the current headliners out there? I only say headliners because theres no way I can know of your locals or any of the less famous names out there.
My vote probably goes to
Friction
Freaky Flow
Dieselboy

They all have superior track selection and Friction has uncanny speed, but so do Dieselboy and Freaky Flow. I've seen Friction cue up records in like less than 20secs after switching out. Dieselboy throws a good set live, his cd's arent so good but when I saw him live, great stuff, plus he's got alot of good DJ's lined up on Human nowadays, two of em are locals here in Seattle. Freaky Flow, havent heard much of him as of late and Flipside was like the only MC that wasnt so annoying. Maybe this topic is dumb but i'd like to know opinions (y)

Who would you guys say has the most skill of all the current headliners out there? I only say headliners because theres no way I can know of your locals or any of the less famous names out there.
My vote probably goes to
Friction
Freaky Flow
Dieselboy

They all have superior track selection and Friction has uncanny speed, but so do Dieselboy and Freaky Flow. I've seen Friction cue up records in like less than 20secs after switching out. Dieselboy throws a good set live, his cd's arent so good but when I saw him live, great stuff, plus he's got alot of good DJ's lined up on Human nowadays, two of em are locals here in Seattle. Freaky Flow, havent heard much of him as of late and Flipside was like the only MC that wasnt so annoying. Maybe this topic is dumb but i'd like to know opinions (y)

for skills look no further than temper d on 4 decks..
the man has like two tunes double dropping, teasing with the third one, and dropping some scrathes on the 4th...
mental..
definition of next level.

Obvious choice but..

Andy C always does the job for me - he's a machine!

Obvious choice but..

Andy C always does the job for me - he's a machine!

Alot of people pick Andy C over Friction, i'm curious as to why. When i heard Andy C's essential mix, it seemed fairly normal to me, just wondering.

Alot of people pick Andy C over Friction, i'm curious as to why. When i heard Andy C's essential mix, it seemed fairly normal to me, just wondering.

thats fair enough. if you see him live and still dont like him is the real test though. some dont dig his tunes or style, but imo the man is a pure rave DJ with class

ive seen 3 deck techno sets that would blow minds by a guy called Dave Oreilly years back. fader abuse in effect.

From the sets I've seen live, I'll always pick Andy over Friction. Don't get me wrong though, Friction is amazing, just not better than bad boy Andy C!

for skills look no further than temper d on 4 decks..
the man has like two tunes double dropping, teasing with the third one, and dropping some scrathes on the 4th...
mental..
definition of next level.

ill have to agree with you on that one mate! he made me want to buy a third deck this year. hes a human mixing machine! haha!

skills eh??? i got skills... numn chuck skills, computer hacking skills, bow-staff skills...
040424_MoviesNapoleon_vl.standard.jpg

marky marky marky.....check his interview on the Playaz site.

Ive never seen Andy pick up his deck and turn it vertically whilst scratching a la Marky (i know its gimmicky..but that is pretty fucking skillfull eh?)....plus Marky has started incoporating soul, hip hop and funk into his sets... big up! (and hes a nice bloke!) in my mind he is the saviour of dnb...
you listen to Andy or Friction andits hard to tell them apart but with Marky there is personality that shines through...

personally a gripe of mine in dnb is the arse licking that goes on, especially towards the nine or ten top dj's (Friction, Hype, Andy, Mampietc) that means you end up with the same DJ's on the bill all the time. yeah, they ae good but id like to see them stand up against some smaller DJ's ive heard Temper D certainly being one of them.

and what about me...haha!
:jackson: :end_of_wo

Last edited:
ill have to agree with you on that one mate! he made me want to buy a third deck this year. hes a human mixing machine! haha!

skills eh??? i got skills... numn chuck skills, computer hacking skills, bow-staff skills...
040424_MoviesNapoleon_vl.standard.jpg

marky marky marky.....check his interview on the Playaz site.

Ive never seen Andy pick up his deck and turn it vertically whilst scratching a la Marky (i know its gimmicky..but that is pretty fucking skillfull eh?)....plus Marky has started incoporating soul, hip hop and funk into his sets... big up! (and hes a nice bloke!) in my mind he is the saviour of dnb...
you listen to Andy or Friction andits hard to tell them apart but with Marky there is personality that shines through...

personally a gripe of mine in dnb is the arse licking that goes on, especially towards the nine or ten top dj's (Friction, Hype, Andy, Mampietc) that means you end up with the same DJ's on the bill all the time. yeah, they ae good but id like to see them stand up against some smaller DJ's ive heard Temper D certainly being one of them.

and what about me...haha!
:jackson: :end_of_wo

Yeah it seems like it'd be hard to knock the top 10 off the list nowadays, I see more of that brown nosing going on with pendulum though, Pendulum is weird because somehow (unfortunately) they have bridged the gap between those who know nothing about DnB in general and those who do, making it worse because no you have the people who are like "well yeah, i listen to pendulum, so i like DnB" which is hardly the case IMO. Pendulum is good though, don't get me wrong. Also, noone has anything to say of Freaky Flow? I think he's amazing.

Yeah it seems like it'd be hard to knock the top 10 off the list nowadays, I see more of that brown nosing going on with pendulum though, Pendulum is weird because somehow (unfortunately) they have bridged the gap between those who know nothing about DnB in general and those who do, making it worse because no you have the people who are like "well yeah, i listen to pendulum, so i like DnB" which is hardly the case IMO. Pendulum is good though, don't get me wrong. Also, noone has anything to say of Freaky Flow? I think he's amazing.

I am aware of Freaky Flow but to be honest ive never really heard many freaky flow sets.. ive never really heard the name mentioned when these conversations crop up...

i take it you've witnessed a set recently that you liked.

when you talk about DJ skill...it can mean different things.. for example technically some Dj's are good, but not that entertaining, or vice versa...

i really think Marky is the best Dj dnb has at the minute on the 'A list' so to speak. he has the best technical skills, also is amazingly entertaining to see, and is fucking brilliant at selecting tunes based on their musicality and vibe of the night...a skill that a lot of DnB DJ's sacrifice these days in order to play the biggest / loudest / newest / most crowd pleasing tunes....

but seriously, check out his interview on Playaz site...hes oin the fucking level!!! i think a lot of DJs could learn a lot from him.

And to reiterate a previous point...there are sooo many good DJ's around that have been forced to up the game in order to compete with the dnb DJ's who survive on their name rather than skills...Temper D being a perfect example.

and yeah actaully...Diesel Boy would be up there fro me as well.

Last edited:
that's a tough one to call IMO, Mampi's sets are always spot on double droppin all the way and of course Andy C with his 3 deck stuff. Marky is a bit of a legend, i've seen a video of his "violin" style scratching and it's mind blowing! But for overall diversity (and that's what i like personally) i have to say Friction. He seems to be able to take choons from any sub-genre and create a mix that just sounds, well....right! It's not just his diverse DJing either, it's also his ability to create a rollin liquid tune or a bangin techstep track and either to be jumped at by anyone. IMO he's a bit of a roll model - "i like DnB" - not "nah, that's shit it's clownstep" dya know what i mean?

personally ... i rate marky above friction ...but yeah Friction is a little bastard on the decks for sure! haha!

but im really into DJ's that combine other genres of music into their sets outside of dnb...and marky combining soul and reggae etc into his recent sets is very inspiring...and ive always rated the tunrtablists who got into dnb like Craze and the Pervs etc....i like hip hop, dnb, dupstep, garage, breaks, rock, soul, reggae, as well as dnb....so thats what rocks my boat but ....yeah...er.....

like i said i do get bored of the same DJ's all playing the same kind of sounds...but this is an age old argument in dnb.

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw Marky live..maybe I missed something, but It was okay. Well, a bit better than okay, but still Friction shook me up alot more than Marky did. Anyway, Matrix is also nice with his Mixes, they usually have a nice chill overtone to them and always go down easy. As far as Tech goes, I'm really a fan of Panacea and Dieselboy mixes, Dylan, Calyx and Tech Itch do it up well too. Pendulum has good mixes but alot of their songs come off as corny, especially since they are played out constantly =( BUT, don't get me wrong, i've heard plenty good Pendulum sets. I'd say though, overall i'm just really a big fan of Friction, by skill in this instance I mean the speed and precision in which they do each mix, and how well the songs mesh.

people get too anal about DJ'ing IMO. :gimp:

i like who i like and think that people worry about it too much.

you can only really take drum n bass mixing 'a la' Friction / Swift /Andy etc so far.

i mean how good can it get ..really??? your just mxing tunes at the end of the day....

but im really into DJ's that combine other genres of music into their sets outside of dnb

fair point there mate! i do really like the scratch perverts mix's cos they've got a bit of everythin. In fact, me and my mates have recently started mucking about with techno and dnb. I've been droppin Hip-hop into DnB for ages but one day we got bored and just wanted to see what we could do with a few tunes. They was having a 3 deck techno mix and the record i had picked up (purely by accident) was DnB, i thought "what the hell!" and put it in, obviously seriously slowed down, but it went! we've started doing allsorts with it now. Mixing in hardcore, mid track pitch/tempo shifts and general tomfoolery! and it's all in an effort to do something a wee bit different but hopefully more interesting to listen too aswell!

CREATIVITY!

thats the way forward. think outside the box dont just go for the double drops! haha! (it rhymes!)

Back
Top Bottom