tune selection

dj eeze

obviously when ur mixing u cant mix 2 tunes that dont go like the nine with the one.

coz no matter how good u can mix if the selection isnt good it will sound crap.

so i want ppl to post on what makes good tune selection and how they achieve it

how i do it is mix one tune that has a catchy tune i.e flamenco - sub focus with a bass orientated tune i.e warhead.

yeah i see what you're getting at there, but if you're mixing into a really hard/liquid part of a set then i find it's more difficult to find tunes that have opposing features (bassline - melody). My approach is to try and mix all my tunes into new ones i've bought til i know what goes with which. The only thing that i do find doing this is that it tends to lack spontaneity so now i'm just learning the tunes and dropping the one that i feel would be best for the mood, now that i'm developing an ear for the music it's becoming second nature to just grab a record, whack it on, and it'll go with the preceeding tune well (apart from my mediocre beat matching - practice makes perfect!)

now i'm just learning the tunes and dropping the one that i feel would be best for the mood, now that i'm developing an ear for the music it's becoming second nature to just grab a record, whack it on, and it'll go with the preceeding tune well (apart from my mediocre beat matching - practice makes perfect!)

's what djing is all about imo. going with the flow :)

took me years to get it, and still have some days where things just dont connect

big ups

Last edited:
obviously when ur mixing u cant mix 2 tunes that dont go like the nine with the one.

coz no matter how good u can mix if the selection isnt good it will sound crap.

so i want ppl to post on what makes good tune selection and how they achieve it

how i do it is mix one tune that has a catchy tune i.e flamenco - sub focus with a bass orientated tune i.e warhead.

Listen to the tracks and train your ears. Practise practise. Flamenco vs Warhead - use Warheads instantly recognizable beat intro.

As far as mixing is concerned, mixing is not just beatmatching (in fact, people care much too much about beatmatching). You can mix anything together if you drop 'it like its hot'.

Try to make a new tune out of 2 tunes
your looking for a flow or journey ...you wouldn't just ram your cock into a dry puntag ( well some of you might).....
so don't start wit the biggest tune..save some of teh best for last ...I dunno peaks and troughs works too...

its all about creating emtion....so don't play YMCA:fuckjoo: :sick:

Try to make a new tune out of 2 tunes
your looking for a flow or journey ...you wouldn't just ram your cock into a dry puntag ( well some of you might).....
so don't start wit the biggest tune..save some of teh best for last ...I dunno peaks and troughs works too...

its all about creating emtion....so don't play YMCA:fuckjoo: :sick:

you have a quick mind for the lively metaphor steddy.:towelie:

i feel,(aside from flow, key, beatmatching, and mood) samples (the word(s)) in the tunes mixed together must fit idealy as well.

ie - you wouldn't want "i wanna be more like you" playing next to or on top of "gettin hi n lo, to make you love me"

Back
Top Bottom