Pics from Goldie@Bonbon Shanghai 26th Aug

this man fuckin scares me.

Nah mate, he's safe as fuck (y)

@Dustek: I don't have the videos, it wasn't me who upped the vids onto Youtube. However I can ask the person who's got them to yousendit to me and then give you them.
Piccies are looking good on the wiki sites (y)

Last edited:
YES VERY GOOD.. how long was the set for?.. and how late is the club open till out there!?

Goldie played a 3-hour set from 1.00am to 4.00am, and the club closed at 5.30am. Goldie was actually having such a good time, he wanted to stay on playing until the very end but Jane dragged him off because the residents needed to play at least once before the club closed, and they all had to catch a plane at 9.00am. So we all just hung around the dancefloor drinking vodka and causing mischief (y)

Last edited:
Goldie played a 3-hour set from 1.00am to 4.00am, and the club closed at 5.30am. Goldie was actually having such a good time, he wanted to stay on playing until the very end but Jane dragged him off because the residents needed to play at least once before the club closed, and they all had to catch a plane at 9.00am. So we all just hung around the dancefloor drinking vodka and causing mischief (y)

Legendary.

I had a night with A Guy Called Gerald, talking shit all night long, then a 5 am set on the seashore as the sun rose.

Just found this picture of Goldie teaching a little beggar boy to throw a slayer, while on the Bund in Shanghai :slayer:

1102847223_l.jpg

Looked a wicked party mate, big up! Some fantastic piccies too :slayer:

this collection is basically the hottest most realistic club pics I have seen ever.

Excellent shots Indi. I'm very impressed. I'm glad to see there's a nice drum and bass scene growing in your area too.

1102847223_l.jpg

This is one of the best pictures I've ever seen!! :rofl:

I've also written an article about the night to accompany the pics, its for a local music magazine in shanghai. I could post it here for you all to read if you want, especially you DNB Magazine :teeth:

My article

"26/08/06 Finding Gold In The Far East - Goldie @ Club Bonbon, Shanghai

Article & Pics by Indi

So its 8.47am and I'm still awake now, haven't had any sleep yet and I'm chilling out in my hotel room. Goldie and Lowqui are in the room across from me getting their stuff together, because they got to jump a plane in an hour. Man, tonight has been a hectic night. A lot of fun, but hectic.

The drum n' bass scene has been slowly but surely getting somewhere, and now the major cities are getting big name artists to regularly play. For me personally, the Shanghai dnb scene is at the forefront. Beijing has a lot more nights and events happening, but the scene in Shanghai is much more inviting, everyone is closely knit together like a family and this is reflected thoughout the events and the fans. DJ Siesta and the Phreaktion crew have put China on the dnb map for good, and no-one can take that away from anyone. And the placing on the map, the maturing of the scene, was without a doubt at Bonbon last night.

The floor was primed, everyone was ready to expode into a mass of giggling delight. DJ Siesta play a lovely mix of energetic dnb from the likes of MIST, Logistics, Baron, Sub Focus, and the crowd were eating it up, in anticipation of the main event. Nothing could stop us now.

As soon as Lowqui picked up the mic and Goldie stepped behind the ones and twos, there was a massive roar from the crowd. This was what everyone was waiting for. The Funktion 1 soundsystem was warm and clear, the bass resonating through our mind and body, and the lights were cutting colourful lines through the crowd like a technicoloured sword. Goldie dropped his first record, Lowqui encouraged the crowd with his lyrics, and the entire club transformed into a sea of good vibrations.

For those who don't know, Goldie is dnb royalty. At the forefront from day one, a true soldier. This is the biggest thing to hit dnb in China and for a man that commands so much respect, he was without a doubt one of the coolest guys I've had the pleasure of meeting. Throughout his entire set, he was enjoying himself just as much as the crowd before him, dancing around, interacting with everyone. Lowqui got from behind the DJ booth and wandered around the crowd, talking to people, getting handshakes and getting everyone to get down to Goldie's sounds. Goldie played a selection of new and classic Metalheadz tracks, as well as Heist's remix of 'Kick Push', Calibre's 'Signs' remix, Baron - 'Drive In, Drive By', and countless others, and the crowd just ate it up with enthusiasm. Shanghai dnb would never be the same again after tonight.

This was a very special night for everyone in China involved in drum n' bass. It was pinnacle of the chinese dnb scene reaching maturity. It was the result of a lot of people's persistance and hard work to get it where it is right now. As it stands, there are a few soldiers dotted around in cities all over China, pushing the sound no matter what. Because of their persistance in refreshing the ears of the chinese youth, we have a small but healthy scene. Because of people like Jane (DJ Siesta) we have standards that we can now work towards, as a whole.

There's something inspiring about watching something grow, whether it's a puppy, a plant, or a person. And it's even better if you don't have to wait years and years for the gratification of watching something to reach maturity. Siesta and the Phreaktion crew must be in bliss right now knowing they've pulled off an incredible thing by creating such a healthy and vibrant drum'n'bass scene in Shanghai. They've watched it grow, nurtured it, drawing in more fresh new faces, and creating a truly positive vibe as the events continue to get better and better and better. And this means that the scene we contribute to will get better and better. It is something that I am very proud and honoured to be a part of.*

Big thanks to Goldie and Lowqui for getting proper messy and showing Shanghai what dnb is all about. And a big thank you to the Jungle Jane and the Phreaktion crew for making this possible. Shouts to all the dnb dogs in China, Hayden and Dan in Beijing, Cookie, Wash and the Magnetic Soul crew in Hong Kong, Joe in Chengdu, Mael in Kunming, and everyone involved in dnb in China, whether you're a promoter, DJ, MC, producer or a supporter. Drum n' bass worldwide!"

*http://urbanon.com/news.php?item.6.2

Last edited:
I meant to reply to this earlier...

They're great photos, and big applause to all for getting Goldie there and building up the scene to that level.

Goldie is a true ambassador for DnB, and brings a real charismatic personal energy that very few DJs do.

This event (and all the Eastern European ones) are proof of DnB as an enduring worldwide musical phenomenom and culture that has outlasted and (I believe) in some ways surpassed, the rave / acid house culture that spawned it.

:rolleyes:

I meant to reply to this earlier...

They're great photos, and big applause to all for getting Goldie there and building up the scene to that level.

Goldie is a true ambassador for DnB, and brings a real charismatic personal energy that very few DJs do.

This event (and all the Eastern European ones) are proof of DnB as an enduring worldwide musical phenomenom and culture that has outlasted and (I believe) in some ways surpassed, the rave / acid house culture that spawned it.

:rolleyes:

:word: Spot on mate

Back
Top Bottom