'Ganja-Tek' - New 'Tech' division of Ganja ->

sdm

This is Dog Fort
VIP Junglist
Woah, DJ Hype, gimme teh (Neuro) funk!

DJ Hype said:
There seems to be a lot of debate on the fact that we at Playaz are going to be starting a new label called Ganja -Tek for the more techno edged Drum and Bass sounding tracks. The reason we are doing this is because over the last 2 years we at Playaz have expanded our artist roster and have a lot more choice of styles and acts to release within the camp. I as a DJ/label owner and producer myself have always stated that i will make, play and release any style of Drum and Bass that i choose. Whether on the dance floor or on the radio I have always played and supported every style within the Drum and Bass genre and I am now happy enough to be in a position to showcase more artists than ever b4. I have never tried to have a certain sound other than a melting pot of all styles within Drum and Bass because to me that is the appeal of it. The fact that we are influenced by all style of music is a good thing and can only keep it all healthy.

Those that say we are jumping on the bandwagon should realize that i am a founding member of this scene and have worked very hard in the promotion and evolution of the Drum and Bass scene. Whether it be Valve, Pendulum, Roni Size, Prodigy, Shy fx, Teebee, Photek, Noisia, High Contrast, Calibre, Shut up and Dance, Potential Badboy, Tech itch, Hazard, 4 hero, Sub Focus, Bukem etc...the list never ends, iI have always supported all the artists and their various styles of Drum and Bass music so why shouldn’t I release them as well. At the end of the day i am a ambassador for Drum and Bass the world over and have been playing for 16 years under the name Hype. The scene today is more of a melting pot than ever before and I am embracing that because I have always tried to encourage a diverse Drum and Bass scene rather than it all being on one tip. I know that a lot of you might prefer one style over another and that is your choice, but do remember that if the scene was only doing what you like sooner or later even you will get bored. At the end of the day this is my life and I am very proud to part of the thing we all call Drum and Bass and will continue to work hard within it. To most of you out there Drum and Bass will be a important part of your lives, but for me Drum and Bass/Jungle is my life and always has been. We all have a part to play and believe me when I say I am no fucking bandwagon jumper, just a hard working Hackney man doing this thing called Drum and Bass/Jungle....Peace out!!!!

Your thoughts? Can only be good I say!

i h8 all these diffent sub-genres, the only ones i know (and can tell the difference between) is liquid, jungle, jump up and hardstep. What the hell is nerou funk? and whats tech-DnB, anyone got any artists or anythin?

I laughed at Ganja for setting up Liquid Ganja.

There is a bandwagon (especially for liquid) but Ganja is a bit late for the step wagon, about 6 years I'd say.

Mwahahaha.

It appears to me that sub genres have become necessary evil. I know a lot of people try to avoid pigeon holing, but as a genre grows there have to be ways of describing any spin off or sub genre. House music or dance is no longer one style any more, theres hard house, acid house, deep house, progressive house, tribal house, funky house etc etc. Therefore house is just label to categorize an expanding form of music. The same can be said for hiphop/rap and its sub genres and trance and techno. It was only a matter of time before drum&bass was no longer definative enough to categorize one form of music. Drum&bass producers are taking influences from other forms of music and trying different production methods, therefore getting a new sound from drum&bass. I do believe that pigeon holing gets to the extremes when a form of music that crosses several musical styles or genres gets called "Crossover".

In my opinion this is good. I like change and like to hear what new sounds are coming out of the music world.

Can someone post a list of the current sub-genres of dnb and the most prominent producers.

Just noticed Hype calling "what we like a lof of" Drum & Bass / Jungle.

Can't standing it being divided into dnb vs jungle and Hype is about as back in the day and authoratitive as you can get.

I agree with Hype, i like to think i play abit of everything apart from liquid but it does piss me off about these sub generes. A few months back someone was speaking to me about what tracks i was feeling and he come up with, "O,i didnt think you liked neuro-funk?" i was like hey?? 1st of all i thought it was a tech tune and thought, were the fuck has this name come from and 2nd was, as i explained to him that DnB is DnB, you like some tracks you dont like some tracks, all personal preference and you cant pigeon hole that, thats what dnb has always been.
As for Ganja-Tek, bring it on!

As far as I know Hype is one of the big lads who doesn't screw his artists. So Fairplay. I agree with the all styles.. I don't care what you call it , its all emotions. and if I was angry all the time would ya notice n e more ???
As for some of the other big names, it is common knowledge some have properly screwed up and coming artists by way of restrictive contracts and/or holding back their tunes and them. SO watch out up and coming producers, don't bend over just cos you get told to, and READ THE CONTRACT B4 U SIGN...u'd think it was obvious.....but..hey there ya go.

Ab0|2Ti0N said:
That shit was deep. Long live the hype hype hype!

:hype:

Its evolution! times change and people change, stick to what you like and let it go the way it goes, everything happens for a reason!

And im liking the idea, i continue to hold my salute high to you Hype! respect.

"If music could kill - we'd all be dead by now"
Ya get me?

^ nah, i know, none of the big players do, pretty dumb i reckon, I remember shy fx sayin' DnB and jungle is the same, it just really isn't, they're different. Jungle is an early form of DnB, i wish it was still around to be honest. I loved the ragga inlfuences (wheres that in modern DnB? apart from a few samples here and there, only record label i can think of is rude bwoy plastic).

ally_hunter23 said:
is shit is just hype trying to cash in on whatever he can.
I cant imagine many respectable techy people will release on it.

Dunno man, Bad Ace sent me a clip of one of his shows playing a tune by protius or sumtin, proper good tech stuff, he does support that stuff. I have no problem with him cashing in aslong as he brings the goods a breaks a few people which im sure he will

I think it'll be hard to cash in on tech as it's not popular enough. Liquid was in the limelight recently but tech hasn't been for ages.

If anything it'll bring attention to the tech scene and be good for everyone.

One thing about True Playaz- they're bloody expensive. The mp3 and ringtone prices... ow.

(not that I have or will ever buy a ringtone because I know how to use sound editing software and bluetooth)

Back
Top Bottom