Custom Earplugs

muzzadj

VIP Junglist
I know we have had a couple threads over the past but thought i'd make a new one as things may have changed.

Definitely about time I got some sorted so i've got a few questions really....

1. Anyone here using any?
2. What are recommended brands to be looking at and where to buy from?
3. I know they come at different frequency levels. What's peoples thoughts on that on what to go for?

Cheers!

They don't come with various frequency levels, they come with attenuating filters. Its basically how many decibels you want the sound reducing by.

Usually when you buy custom ear plugs you get a variety of filters with them.

Etymotic are pretty good.

http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/erme.html

Once again proving how useless I am when it comes to technicalities. Cheers for clearing that up mate.

And nice one for that link, always good to go by something someone can recommend.

Once again proving how useless I am when it comes to technicalities. Cheers for clearing that up mate.

And nice one for that link, always good to go by something someone can recommend.

I've had the standard Etymotic ear plugs before to go to a Valve Sound System night. and they worked wonders. I think they were -15dB attenuated and the sound was crystal clear when I was stood right front of the stack. People were walking past with their fingers in their ears because it was rattling their eardrums.

ER series are boss but I got some done at Boots recently that were cheaper and do exactly the same thing. Worth giving your local a call and see if they do moulds there.

ER series are boss but I got some done at Boots recently that were cheaper and do exactly the same thing. Worth giving your local a call and see if they do moulds there.

Bit confused with it all. So do you go to boots to get the mould of your ear, then sent the mould to etymotic to build the product? Or can you just get everything done at boots? Sorry if i'm a bit retarded here.

FYI mine were £125, took two weeks, all done at Boots in about 10/15 minutes.

I've been using ACS pro 17's for a couple of years now, they were £145 directly from acs, I then had the moulds done at Leightons Opticians.
I had one of them remoulded recently as it didn't fit that great once I had my ears syringed, and it only took a week from the moulds being taken until delivery. They now 3D print all of the ACS plugs, making the turnaround really quick, and they are much more low profile, and sit really flush in your ear.

can you use earplugs whilst mixing in clubs or is it a mission?

Absolutely, in my opinion you would be crazy not to! It takes some getting used to and you have to crank up the headphone volume to compensate.

The new ACS plugs (now that they are 3d printed) are much more comfortable to mix with because of the low profile, so you headphone never catches them

I've been thinking about this recently too. Is it definitely worth forking out for custom fitted ones, or are they out-of-the-box ones for £15 good enough? As I've been recommended a few of them

The £15 ones are good enough if you are going to loud environments for a couple of times a month.

If you are constantly in loud clubs/environments every week then I think custom fitted ones are much better value for money.

The £15 ones are good enough if you are going to loud environments for a couple of times a month.

If you are constantly in loud clubs/environments every week then I think custom fitted ones are much better value for money.

Cheers mate. Yeh I would only say it was twice a month really. Might stick with the cheaper option for now then.

can you use earplugs whilst mixing in clubs or is it a mission?

Takes a bit of getting used to for sure, also if the club monitors are quiet you might have problems. You do have to stick with them cos your mixing will be shite to start with but its worth it.

I've had Elacin plugs for years, with the -15db filters. Always thought that was a bit too much reduction, so recently bought the -9db filters.
Great for concerts/clubbing, reduces the post-party ringing to almost nothing.

Tried using it for mixing once, had to take em out after three mixes because I just couldn't hear what I was doing :S

Back
Top Bottom