Cant Mix for Shit [Noob Post]

Manu Forti

Detached Audio
VIP Junglist
Not often i post in here however im a little bit anxious about a promo set im trying to put together for Detached Audio... As the label deals with IDM the bpms are all over the place from 80 to 160 ive had a bash at doing it using tom cosm on Ableton Live and also i have numark mixtrack pro2 the latter im not so familiar with but a friend is he mixes dnb however, and says he cant mix over those bpms. Im like why get it done ill make some transitions if theres any bpm issues and say one song is moving from a happy little tune into something dark and nasty ill make the transition reflect that.

He still seems a little bit erm well i dunno, so my question is should i keep trying to get it in ableton or get him to persevere, im used to ableton but dj i dont do.

Another question might be if any of you guys know how to mix mabye you could help by doing the mix for me??? [im just throwing that out there not sure if anyone would be remotely interested]

I dunno advice or something would be appreciated though.

If you are happy to mix in your daw then obviously mix tunes that you can, for tempo changes just echo and reverb out a small phrase then fade in the breakdown of a different BPM tune. aslong as its smooth then it doesnt matter if there are few tunes tempo switches that aren't actually mixed with anything. hope that helps ronald weeeeeeezle

ive got ginger pubes anaw... PFFFFF

Ok i was thinking about something like this i actually have a few London/American guys who ive worked with who said they would do sound bites mabye i could add that... i really just want it all to flow though im inspired by amon tobin set with the sparkly cubes n shit, mabye im aiming a little high there lol... although if i got all stems from artists i could mabye make that work better?

I really think i should be able to do this in ableton... am a fkn dreamer eh i just like this... big inspiration for DA

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm depends on your timescale really and how much of your life you want to invest in this mix?

my workflow in ableton is pretty quick saying that i think this would be a programmed set. I was hoping to do an hour long set every quarter of the year so finished for end of march.

personally id start off keeping things relatively simple otherwise you could get demotivated when shit stops flowing. Then as you say work on the next one and build up your skills

Back
Top Bottom