Pulling a speaker apart?!

Agent Smith

Currently Putins Koala
VIP Junglist
Cut a long story short, my old mixer used to blow the left speaker on my setup due to a dodgy XLR output.
I have a spare speaker which is being used at the moment, and have upgraded my mixer and sold the old one.

Sadly it blew one of my new Pioneer speakers link below for what they are.
https://www.decks.co.uk/products/studio-monitors/pioneer/sdj50x#.VOxSKkxFDIU

My question is - how many things could possibly "blow" or break in the speaker? If its a fuse i'll be willing to take the back off and give it a crack myself (been quoted all sorts to even have a look at these)

If its something bigger than a fuse I know its potentially not even worth paying the dollar for it.

Anyone with experience pulling apart speakers and replacing parts hit me up, would be interested to know if potentially this is an easy fix as surely there aren't too many components that will make up this speaker?

I CAN FIX EASSSY bro

- - - Updated - - -

To answer your Q:

1) The pre amp could be blown.
2) The tweeter or bass bin blown
3) Fuse

Does the speaker just not work at all?

[MENTION=66217]Agent Smith[/MENTION]

- - - Updated - - -

Alsooooo, FYI to find out whats borken you open it up , add some mains power and carefully trace the voltage through until it stops = broken component (y)

[MENTION=26766]RUSSLA[/MENTION]

The speaker turns on, power switch is on fine.

The sound that actually comes through is either nothing or this very faint muffled sound, which when you turn up the gain boosts it but the quality is appalling.

Trip to Bournemouth if you fancy fixing it! haha

Ok your preamp is fooooked then I recon. Just had a search to buy the part - no go it seems :/ Snookered there boss unless you can find the bit - Buuut thats assuming it is the preamp.

What a predicament

Going to hi-jack your thread a little here sorry Stu, seems silly to make another though.

Something happened to one of my KRK's (RP5) a few months ago, no idea how as it was just sitting under a table at a mates for weeks but now when i turn it on (no input going in) all I get is a horrendously loud muffled, bassy buzz. So loud and awful I have to turn it off instantly as it feels will do more damage being on. Any ideas on that one anyone? I am useless with electronics.

I've had a brief look online for a place I can drop it in to in Brighton to have a look at it but not had much luck.

your best bet, for both of you; take it to a local electrical shop (not fucking maplins!) and ask them to fix or at least diagnose it for you. If youre looking at the amps, it might be cheaper to buy a new unit altogether and save yourself even more of a headache.
Alternatively go back to the manufacturer and convince them its their fault somehow.

Back
Top Bottom