What do you do???

TinnitusD&B

I've been sat at the computer for f*cking hours and i can't seem to put anything decent down thats worth listening to!

What do you all do when the inspiration runs out? Any tips? Tactics? Anything???

Go a different genre altogether. I usually do dubstep or have a bad go at some future garage for example.

just make some patches or breaks etc
or maybe go to remixcomps.com and try remix something?

just make some patches or breaks etc or maybe go to remixcomps.com and try remix something?

The break i made the other day is the one i'm struggling with now. I normally make the main part of the track first then make an intro after but I'm doing it the other way round now and it seems to be going ok. I'll check out that remix comps though, never heard of it before, it sounds decent. cheers man!

If basically everything sucks that you make on one day just do something else and come back the next day. It's different every single day man.

Like someone mentioned above, making your own sounds and creating perc loops and that sort of thing is good for your own arsenal of personal content that you can quickly drag and drop together. I find when making a track as well, that having a lot of content to play about with quickly is better for progression, otherwise I get stuck and start to lose that ability to forward thing where the track should go. Don't get stuck in the 8 bar loop.

Try maybe looking at the framework and structure patterns of some other tracks and note them down. That's something I'm planning on doing myself soon actually as it's been a while and I could do with some inspiration on how others are done.

About a year ago I was in the same position for basically most of the year following. I almost work exclusively with samples now. I don't go in with intent to look for a sound i want, rather I search for something that I like and I think I can use and just build from that.

Like someone mentioned above, making your own sounds and creating perc loops and that sort of thing is good for your own arsenal of personal content that you can quickly drag and drop together. I find when making a track as well, that having a lot of content to play about with quickly is better for progression, otherwise I get stuck and start to lose that ability to forward thing where the track should go. Don't get stuck in the 8 bar loop.

Try maybe looking at the framework and structure patterns of some other tracks and note them down. That's something I'm planning on doing myself soon actually as it's been a while and I could do with some inspiration on how others are done.

Good call, i've done some loop creating and but not really with other sounds to resample etc. i'll give it a go. Where about in manchester you from man?

- - - Updated - - -

cheers guys. Im actually gonna start a collab with a guy i met on here so hopefully that will help.

We're actually sampling some vinyls now actually, some that I picked up from a local oxfam shop a few months back. It's good to just step away from making a track and build up a new unique library.

I'm actually in Bolton, so not directly in Manchester itself but 15 mins aways on the train.

I can never sit down and make a tune. I start with an objective. Make some pads, bass or whatever.
Once I have a pallet of sounds an idea will blossom.

Save your channel strips as well. I have a number of saved channel strips that I use on nearly every tune I make.
It's a good way of creating your own 'sound' or 'vibe' without recycling sounds.

The most important thing though...
Listen to lots of other genre's! I listen to a lot of metal and it inspires me. Especially in terms of rhythmic arrangements

Back
Top Bottom