Vinyl Mixing Help

kidchop92

Hi everybody

New to DNBForum so please go easy on me. This maybe a silly question but it's something that I need clearing up.

I have been mixing Vinyl for just over 1 year on Stanton t92 which have served me well. However with the push from Record Labels to press on 33RPM I have started to notice that the BPM is not correct. Usually if I mix a 33rpm track with the same BPM on a 45rpm, I notice that the 33rpm will always go slightly faster and go out of sync within 5 seconds.

For example last night I mixed LSB - Leave 33RPM 174BPM against Spectrasoul - Away with me (Calibre Remix) 45RPM 174BPM. The LSB tune always plays very slightly faster than the Spectrasoul tune and have noticed it always happens with any 33RPM pressed tune against a 45RPM with the same BPM.

Mixing any tune with the same BPM I expect it to stay in sync.

Can anybody confirm if this should happen or if it is a problem with my Turntables?

This happens a bit on my stanton T.62's, all I do is just move the pitch slightly until both tunes are locked in, it's a bit annoying at times but easily fixable by just moving the pitch a bit

This happens a bit on my stanton T.62's, all I do is just move the pitch slightly until both tunes are locked in, it's a bit annoying at times but easily fixable by just moving the pitch a bit

Indeed it is annoying. I usually have to decrease the speed of the 33RPM just above were the light goes off 0, how about you?

For example when i Play LSB - Leave (with the pitch fader set to 0) its playing at like 174.10 BPM causing it to drift off

Well at least now im not alone, maybe this is a fault with Stanton decks or does this happen on other turntables?

Last edited:
Indeed it is annoying. I usually have to decrease the speed of the 33RPM just above were the light goes off 0, how about you?

For example when i Play LSB - Leave (with the pitch fader set to 0) its playing at like 174.10 BPM causing it to drift off

Well at least now im not alone, maybe this is a fault with Stanton decks or does this happen on other turntables?

I usually move the 45 tune up a bit and the 33 tune down a bit, the light is still on both ways so it is just a slight adjustment,

Ahh does that work?

I thought even with a slight movement on pitch fader with the light still on, it was still at 0?

I will try this later, thanks for your help!

The turntable will have an analogue pitch fader which will deteriorate over time. This will cause the pitch to not be as accurate as it was when the turntable was brand new.

My advice: Disregard what the BPM of the tune is and just use your ears to beatmatch and pitch adjust your cue'd tune.

My advice: Disregard what the BPM of the tune is and just use your ears to beatmatch and pitch adjust your cue'd tune.

This.
[MENTION=101100]kidchop92[/MENTION] - do you try and mix everything on 0 or near the light just out of interest?

Considering the huge amount of minor inaccuracies that can be introduced in the process of making a track until it's pressed you can't really be guaranteed that "174 bpm" is "174 bpm" on anything than the same pressing played on the same turntable.
Minor inaccuracies can be everywhere from the computer/DAW being used, the lathe used to cut a master or differences between two turntables.

As has been stated already, you have to rely on your ears to match the beat, and continue to listen for drift/match tempo for as long as you have two tunes in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom