Speakers for mixing at home... (Upgrade)

Sicx

VIP Junglist
I know Eurotide's made basically the same thread but I wanted to ask a few more specific questions...

Currently got a set of KAM KHS6.5 I bought back when i first got into mixing years and years ago and they've served me well, but I feel im really not hearing everything I should hear out of my tunes so looking to upgrade.

First thought was to go to KRK rokit 6's but i've been told they're very bassy and drown out the mids? This true?
Other than that not really sure what to get heard Mackie's are good?
Looking for something small-ish, with clear sound and good low end. Budget is around 250-300 so I understand im not gunna get really good quality for this but im after anything better than my KAM's

cheers!

Much better, worth the upgrade. I don't know how the 5 inch model of the Yamahas compares to the KRK 5s though, can only vouch for the 7s.

I've been looking at selling both 5s and just picking up one 7" for now as I dont really have the cash or space in my current room.

I've got the krk 5's. Lovely all round speakers for the price in my opinion. Not enough bass for me tho. Well there is but not like you'd get from having larger speakers or a separate sub. But I can't turn them up where i live to my desired level anyway

Assuming the 6 or 7's would be better, but can't confirm.
Its a tough choice and you'll get conflicting information from everyone. Your best bet is to narrow your choices down as much as poss then go somewhere to listen to them all.

I've got the krk 5's. Lovely all round speakers for the price in my opinion. Not enough bass for me tho. Well there is but not like you'd get from having larger speakers or a separate sub. But I can't turn them up where i live to my desired level anyway

Its a tough choice and you'll get conflicting information from everyone. Your best bet is to narrow your choices down as much as poss then go somewhere to listen to them all.

In my previous experiences of Rokit 5's & 6's they both have limiters which are fucking annoying when you really want to crank them to the max.
Been there done it at parties etc. Just frustrating as they cut out completely.

I went up to Decks.co.uk's store Friday and can pretty much confirm that those Yamaha's that muz talks about do sound crisp as hell, and they are quite affordable too considering what else is on offer for around the same price.

Powered nearfield monitors are not a good idea for mixing. As Smiffy has said above, they start to cut out when you play them at high volumes for extended periods due to overheating of the internal amplifiers.

If you want a sturdy option then get an am and separate speakers or active PA speakers for mixing.

In my previous experiences of Rokit 5's & 6's they both have limiters which are fucking annoying when you really want to crank them to the max.
Been there done it at parties etc. Just frustrating as they cut out completely.

I went up to Decks.co.uk's store Friday and can pretty much confirm that those Yamaha's that muz talks about do sound crisp as hell, and they are quite affordable too considering what else is on offer for around the same price.

Cheers for both of your inputs, I completely agree they lack bass, I just struggle to hear them for some reason, cant put much space between them and my ears in my crappy university accommodation.

I find my rokit 6s fine for home mixing - wouldn't use them for house parties as the minute you have more than ten people in the room you need something with more punch, but the range of sound is good, and i don't find that the bass drowns out the mids and highs too much at all.

Then again prior to these i was mixing on logitech 2.1 speakers which was essentially one giant sub.

I'm looking to upgrade too at the minute. The krk 5's are fine but they are very direct. You basically have to stand in front of them to get the full benefit of them and yeah not very bassy. Has anyone got krk 5s of 6s with the additional subwoofer? I'm either thinking of getting that or getting an entire new system. Will check out these Yamahas..

I don't like KRK's at all. They sound like a hi-fi.

I've mixed using KRK's and yamaha's and the yamaha's are much better, especially for EQing. They are also good for production

I'm looking to upgrade too at the minute. The krk 5's are fine but they are very direct. You basically have to stand in front of them to get the full benefit of them and yeah not very bassy. Has anyone got krk 5s of 6s with the additional subwoofer? I'm either thinking of getting that or getting an entire new system. Will check out these Yamahas..

Ive got the 5s with a 10" Mordaunt Short sub and it makes a ton of difference. Apparently the KRK sub is a bit shit.

@Harry3 I didn't think you could add another manufactures sub to the KRK's. Have you got a link to it, I can't find much googling..

Its via my mixer, put the Sub into my master out with RCAs and the rokits into the XLRs. Probably not the proper thing to do but it works and sounds good :teeth:

If you get a sub with XLR thrus though, I dont think anything could stop you hooking the KRKs upto it properly? The KRKs dont use ... I cant think of the word for it... "specific sockets"

Back
Top Bottom