The 303 Compo Thread

logikz

I Am Not The King
Hello Everyone, and Welcome!

As discussed, here is the tb303 drum and bass tune competition thread, complete with rules and samplepack, and with any luck, contestants and entries too!
The deadline is the 2nd of March, the finalists will be selected by a public poll, will then, in turn, be reviewed and rated by a commitee of trusted production forum members.
The winner will get ALL the internets AND possibly maybe AN ACTUAL PRIZE in the form of a samplepack from goldbaby samples http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/
or a guitar pedal, these is what the prizes have been like in the past, so it will probably be something like that, this time around too.

[MENTION=77852]Sulihin[/MENTION], Big thanks for scoring the synth off Muons FB page!
[MENTION=81988]Menosance[/MENTION] [MENTION=91769]Dark Lizardro[/MENTION] [MENTION=99625]ManuForti[/MENTION] [MENTION=5676]lug00ber[/MENTION] [MENTION=97264]xiris[/MENTION] [MENTION=35050]H*product[/MENTION] [MENTION=92424]Chax[/MENTION] [MENTION=97126]Crizis[/MENTION] are you rrrrrrrrrready? i count 8 participants myself included!
[MENTION=927]Reactor Grits[/MENTION], any chance of you joinnig the compo at all brotendo?

everybody who has a FB account, go send thanks to muon. its all they ask in return for the synth. its freeware, after all, long as we make sure muon gets their fb likes, i think were in the clear!

so about the synth, its really good, i just installed it and the sound immedately grabs you, its unmistakable and does something to the human brain. thats why were all here, 303s are totally awesome, extremely inspirational and much like the amen just has 'that sound' when you start programming riffs with say randomized cutoff or whatever. i havent heard it very much in dnb, so
its going to be very interesting to hear what you do with it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
so there has been a bit of a change, or a correction, lets say,
this is not a standalone. so no step programming with accents or glides, and no built in LFO or effects,
but you can do all that inside your daw instead. in FLP you can, for example, use the formula controller to LFO with,
andi know Ableton has LFOs everywhere you can route stuff to, and im sure cubase and logic do too.

we have it for PC and mac in the samplepack ready to go, and reason users
will have to use the Silver Box combinator patch. Is that a fair deal to all?

[MENTION=77852]Sulihin[/MENTION] i have never seen the combinator patch, as you suggested it, i take it youve seen it and its equal to the muon tau1?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

about the samplepack, everyone can handle aiffs right? its a comprehensive samplepack, if rather fking eccentric.
1. drums (different kinds, classics, processed, obscure, unprocessed and an 808 kit with many BD single hits)
2. bass (just some sub),
3, synths (odd synth modulations rather than strings, harsh reeces, atmospheres, normal reeces)
4. strings (long synth tones and then cellos and violins and all orchestral instrumentation)
5. vocals (nicked an acapella right off soundcloud, nice and long, use it however you want, bit of a challenge really)
6. samples (for fun and inspiration, jazzy jungle hits, movie soundtrack weirdness)

should be a little something in there for everyone, so, what do you think!

NO 170 PRE-MADE LOOPS INCLUDED. ALL SAMPLES WILL NEED FIXING, GENERALLY SPEAKING, AT LEAST LOOPING OR CUTTING UP, EQ, or whatever.
this samplepack is not for noobs. its got some fun stuff in there, but youre going to have to make it work.

so, please remember that you can only use sounds from the samplepack, with two exceptions.

the object of the compo is to make the best dnb tune, with focus on the 303s synth. you have the option to record other stuff (explained below) and process anything in any way you like, but the tb303 dnb is the theme of the compo. as always, points for creativity, but the 303 sound has to be identifiable in some way, at some point in the tune.

so making a bad ass warpy reece song is great, and usually wins you the compo (regardless of concept) but not this time, as that alone is not going to help,
unless it sounds like a badass 303 warpy reece song. then its a winner.

or, could also be, that its a badass warpy reece song, AND it has kilos of 303s everywhere else you look. then its a winner. and so forth, im sure you get the idea.

recording and other sources of sound:

a) any vocals you like from talking to rapping to singing. shout or whisper, ooooh and aaaah like a one man choir, and so on

b) any industrial noise, hits or wheezing or buzzing or clangs or twangs or biks or boks or ticks or tocks (and the world is FULL of ticks and tocks, youll soon notice this when youre hitting stuff around you trying to find a nice long long screech to make a drone out of, tick and tock wherever you look, its really annoying after a while) you record is not only allowed but encouraged!

now im not sure but i dont think much recording of either kind will be goin on, itll probably be mainly programming and processing, but thats fun too!

PMing all contestants the download link right now!

we need judges, so if anyone feels they could contribute as a judge, please step forward, you dont have to be a producer, just a music fan with love for dnb and techno. anyone?

anyone is welcome to sign up and join the compo, just post "im in " in this thread and youll get the samplepack dl link PMd to your inbox in a matter of milliseconds.

good luck to everyone and may the best man win!

Last edited:
Alright, I had a flick trough the sample pack (which is looking amazing, nice job logikz!), installed the vst 303 thing all set up!
I'll get started on this as soon as I can! Will be quite challenging though

ermm guys. . . the VSTi doesn't work on my DAW probably because it is x64. What shall I do?

Edit: I might have found a solution but I need your approval.

Last edited:
not gonna enter because I have just started producing so still getting to grips with ableton, would be interested in judging though if you need people

ermm guys. . . the VSTi doesn't work on my DAW probably because it is x64. What shall I do?

Edit: I might have found a solution but I need your approval.

Use Ableton 9 64 yeah? whats the solution? inbox me meno

- - - Updated - - -

Its cool meno i just read about reaper ill get it going with that

Where is the sample pack? I am not sure if I can enter seeing how my life is already overwhelming with shit I got to do but I will try.

[MENTION=91769]Dark Lizardro[/MENTION] Liz, good work my man, could you (or anyone else, manu ron, looking at you here) send sann, prettyherb, and marklars the pack?

and what the fuck now someone is using rubberduck??? and then reason users use combi? what the fuck kind of compo is this. ok fine, but no other sounds than the pack, with the exception of the 303 then. fine.
and if the 303 is a reece, well, long as its a 303 its a 303.

and everybody needs a 303.

just went through some of the pack
have a feeling this is gonna be pretty fun hopefully itll get me out of my cuntface block

any kind of processing is allowed yea?
cos ive been making loads of cool filter/distortion combinators lately

Back
Top Bottom