The 303 Compo Thread

14th of march, a more realistic approach. but soon as ten submissions are in, the jig is up, and its voting time.

on the judges team this time we have:

@dnbforum
owner and capo of this forum

reactor girls
producer and runs record label easternpromiseaudio.com

hopefully we can get [MENTION=6906]$marty[/MENTION] to join (admin on here, and part of the power dnb trio Dexcell) and phuture-t (the next third of easternpromiseaudio.com and up and coming dnb guy charlie large potatoes, got metalheadz playing his stuff and all)

so with any luck the team will be hans, tom, ant and adam.

and the prize? THE INTERNETS.

ALL OF THEM.

(and possibly a thing)

[MENTION=8700]tv_g[/MENTION] hey nic, what do you say, can i tempt you with a little 303 compo? and if you wont play could i be so cheeky as to ask you if you would consider judging the compo?

I'm slammed this month, so no new productions from me. If I understand, judging involves writing 4 or 5 reviews? I can do that and I can be objective about it (but Drumfunk will win :teeth: ). :wave:

I'm slammed this month, so no new productions from me. If I understand, judging involves writing 4 or 5 reviews? I can do that and I can be objective about it (but Drumfunk will win :teeth: ). :wave:

awesome thanks man!! this is going to be the maddest jury ever, im going to try and get phuture-t in on it and hopefully someone from dexcell and we will have the most badass panel of judges ever (mental note make droney drumfunk w jazz samples)

Hey, not sure if this has been asked yet, but does the tune have to be @ DnB tempo? Or does anything go?

it has to be drum and bass. if you can create that without the bpm, be my guest. but chances are youre going to have to use 160+ to get it right

i think the answer is it has to be dnb bpm, but im not adverse to the idea of a different bpm, long as its dnb.

how is everybody doing btw? anyone feeling frisky? or do we all have dick? cos i got a dedicated laptop for the 303 loops which i then try to sync with my sequencer computor . lots of resampling going on. still sounds like shit, have a feeling it always will, but if you listen to phace + my mind is modular (which i think they made on a modular setup? i mean hence the name? or maybe a modular software synth like reaktor or serum or any of those new ones from u-he or why not buzz) there are some great elements that would sound even better if you did some 303 acid wankery on it. im also listening to acid techno to get into the flow of things, but it really depends on what youre using.

whats everyone using? is anyone using the tau1 from the pack? because some 303 sw synths are more powerful than others, and thats no lie, in fact, i should have outlawed certain synths since a) theyre not freeware and b) they are not available for mac and 1) they are super awesome and everything you do on them sounds rad

but too late for that, SO, hows everyone doing!?

how is everybody doing btw? anyone feeling frisky? or do we all have dick? cos i got a dedicated laptop for the 303 loops which i then try to sync with my sequencer computor . lots of resampling going on. still sounds like shit, have a feeling it always will, but if you listen to phace + my mind is modular (which i think they made on a modular setup? i mean hence the name? or maybe a modular software synth like reaktor or serum or any of those new ones from u-he or why not buzz) there are some great elements that would sound even better if you did some 303 acid wankery on it. im also listening to acid techno to get into the flow of things, but it really depends on what youre using.

whats everyone using? is anyone using the tau1 from the pack? because some 303 sw synths are more powerful than others, and thats no lie, in fact, i should have outlawed certain synths since a) theyre not freeware and b) they are not available for mac and 1) they are super awesome and everything you do on them sounds rad

but too late for that, SO, hows everyone doing!?
So far I have everything structured, used the Tau for the sub and a techy kinda arp. But I'm enjoying the most the film samples. Stretching them is giving me good results so far. Chopped some dnb breaks to get individual hits and layered them as well. But it's shit. Shitty-shit downtempo dnb.

Haha I also did shitty half tempo dnb!! utterly tubular!! Weren't you and Ron go n's work together? Where is old manus anyway. Dude I listened to some hellektro last night, man that stuff is weird

Well, I'll have one final go at it, and will try to finish it. Do not expect anything huge though.

Last edited:
I'm using Tau in a Reaper Rewire slave but I'm using Creakbox and RubberDuck (which I suspect gave me malware :eek:) to preview stuff to get closer to a real 303 workflow. My aim is some Acid/Psytrancy stuff and then darkness with the samples and such and some BSE/Dieselboy style drums.

The deadline is the 15th now?

Back
Top Bottom