Playaz vinyl: Break - Strictly Entertainment & Hazard - Bricks Don't Roll EP

Re: Playaz vinyl: Break - Strictly Entertainment & Hazard - Bricks Don't Roll EP

Exactly!

Does it really matter which 'buy' button you click? All comes through the same letterbox.

I can't remember from memory. I just remember them pressing something 'in demand' and then sales being really slow.

I feel some anger in your post?!

At least this option guarantees the sales for them no?!

Basic marketing brother, no one uses their store no will buy their records. Places like Juno have got a regular flow of the same customers, in greater numbers than Playaz so they have potential to sell a lot more records.

Plus it'd take out half the promo side to it, when people are instantly alerted to new releases on Juno etc., whereas Playaz themselves will have to make a lot of noise in order to attract customers to buy records from their store.

Also, I'd say most people get into the habit of just buying from one place, meaning that if there is a record that you only half want on on your preferred store you're probably more likely to buy it than if you have to set up a new account on a new store. People like convenience all dat 2 clicks and instant purchase shit.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah man, it is well documented that I was not a fan of how Playaz was doing the vinyl thing for a bit there - they basically rubbished the whole vinyl industry publicly, then put up a 'pre-order' of one of their releases can't remember which one) via Chemical and Redeye and used the lack of sales of it as more ammunition to do more public sledging of the industry (which is bullshit as not many vinyl buyers pre-order anything apart from very special releases anymore). A few of us (including myself) suggested they do a pre-order system to test the viability of pressing a release, which they did for Time Trippping / Bumble Bee's, which was a resounding success (as far as I am aware). Off the back of that they pressed the Never The Same EP, which seemed to do pretty well, and then all of a sudden pressed that Original Sin 12" (which I thought was a bit average at best, considering they didn't choose the right tunes off the EP for it IMO), and it sold as I would have expected (poorly) - then they were back to publicly rubbishing the vinyl scene again.

I just got the feeling from them that they almost wanted it to fail, so then they could publicly mock it all and have an excuse to not bother pressing any more releases. When Hype made the announcement that he was changing to Traktor the whole label just seemed to have turned their back on an industry that they had been a huge part of for so many years.

Lately they seem to be a lot more positive towards it, which is great. I think labels should be very appreciative towards those of us who are prepared to shell out good money for their releases on vinyl, especially with the rife nature of digital sharing and throw-away nature of a lot of music these days.

Spot on mate, I don't think the label is run particularly well, they're far too conservative and don't take enough risks if you ask me and you can see that in their releases too, they're pretty comfortable putting out "safe" music. But they've got a very strong pool of artists in your Hazard's, Original Sin's etc. the label really should be making bigger moves than it is. And not having confidence in pressing Hazard's releases (of all people), when he must be one of the best-selling artists in the underground dnb scene, just says it all really.

I don't know anything about the processes of manufacturing and distributing vinyl, but I'm sure we can all name smaller labels that regularly do it successfully, by pressing only those releases that they will know will sell and pressing only in small volumes.

- - - Updated - - -

On a lighter note, why the hell didn't I grab Time Tripping when it came out? Forever sorrowfully searching discogs for eet.

Last edited:
This Break release is quality. But what's the point trying to do this now months & months after it was released digitally. Surely, if they were serious about selling vinyl they'd put this pre-order link up so people could receive the vinyl before it is released digitally. Which in-turn would increase the interest in the product & they'd sell a lot more. I've moaned numerous times about this before, releasing vinyl after digital (especially this amount of time after) is just not a good business practice. One label that does it right is Rupture, the vinyl is always released a good 2 months before it's digital version, no doubt helping them move more units. These things are a big part of why I got so frustrated when I was a vinyl only DJ.

I just got the feeling from them that they almost wanted it to fail, so then they could publicly mock it all and have an excuse to not bother pressing any more releases. When Hype made the announcement that he was changing to Traktor the whole label just seemed to have turned their back on an industry that they had been a huge part of for so many years.

You guys remember when they stopped doing vinyl and on the Playaz FB there was a post that got deleted about all the releases being made available on minidisc or some shit, that was a piss take.

You guys remember when they stopped doing vinyl and on the Playaz FB there was a post that got deleted about all the releases being made available on minidisc or some shit, that was a piss take.

it wasn't that AT ALL...they have put up serious posts that made their feelings pretty clear about the vinyl industry (I just don't have the time to scroll through their facebook posts for an hour backing up my claim, but I am pretty sure a few people on here know what I am talking about)

Also, if Playaz are running pre-orders like this, I think the paying public should be able to see how far the contributions have got to and what figure we are working to (ie:- a 200 or 300 pressing) similar to partitions on that Change.org site. I think that could only be beneficial if they run something like this in future
https://www.change.org/p/to-the-bbc-trust-savebbc3

it wasn't that AT ALL...they have put up serious posts that made their feelings pretty clear about the vinyl industry (I just don't have the time to scroll through their facebook posts for an hour backing up my claim, but I am pretty sure a few people on here know what I am talking about)

Yeah I've seen the interviews with Hype and he was pretty reasonable, like I said that Facebook post got deleted, even if it was just some snot nosed intern on their social media team it wasn't cool, obviously there was a backlash which is why it got deleted.

oh hey mate!! didn't click that was you...here's hoping my copy is at home when I get there then :) I am in Takaka next weekend you should pop over!
All good! Did they arrive? Would love to bro but things are pretty mental with kids and exams at the moment. Have a good party man! Might be doing a Welly mish later on in the year!

Back
Top Bottom