The Prodigy - Nasty (Spor Remix)

I don´t think so.

Extratone is niche.

dnb? Not so much.

I live in rural north-germany and it gets radio plays, features in every shitty soap and by pr agencies to sell anything. Nobody knows "Feed me" but people know dnb. Chances are high that you rather find somebody that will relate the term "Feed me" to a wrestler :teeth:

1. I didn't mention europe did I? Go to Thailand and find me people who know drum & bass ;) 2. the d&b that gets played on radio is mostly not defined as d&b. It's pop music. Most of the people who listen to Sigma because they heard it in a soap trailer will not look into what it is or what genre it is. Same for the charts really. The genre nowadays is meaningless.
Still that was not my point, my point was Spor doesn't need to attract any big d&b labels because he will sell needless without a big label in the back.

1. I didn't mention europe did I? Go to Thailand and find me people who know drum & bass ;) 2. the d&b that gets played on radio is mostly not defined as d&b. It's pop music. Most of the people who listen to Sigma because they heard it in a soap trailer will not look into what it is or what genre it is. Same for the charts really. The genre nowadays is meaningless.
Still that was not my point, my point was Spor doesn't need to attract any big d&b labels because he will sell needless without a big label in the back.

to say drum and bass is meaningless as a genre nowadays is utterly offensive to anybody that has been involved in making, dj-ing, dancing to,promoting, writing about, talking about and listening to dnb.

this genre of music is THE MOST IMPORTANT genre of music to come around in the past 25 years.
The fact that most of the people that listen to sigma or heard it in a soap trailer but wont look into what genre it is, means that actually the genre is utterly totally accepted by everybody in the mainstream which is not meaningless at all. THAT IS A GOOD THING.

to say drum and bass is meaningless as a genre nowadays is utterly offensive to anybody that has been involved in making, dj-ing, dancing to,promoting, writing about, talking about and listening to dnb.

this genre of music is THE MOST IMPORTANT genre of music to come around in the past 25 years.
The fact that most of the people that listen to sigma or heard it in a soap trailer but wont look into what genre it is, means that actually the genre is utterly totally accepted by everybody in the mainstream which is not meaningless at all. THAT IS A GOOD THING.

What I was trying to say is that for vast majority (mainstream people) a genre is meaningless, they just look into the charts or look it up on shazam but don't care what genre it is. If they like it, they like it. It's mainstream, pop music the radio stations make them listen to it. Do you honestly think 40 year old guy who listens to the radio listening to Sigma - Changing and liking it will ever look up what genre this is? Or do you think he will check out the latest Scar tune on Headz just because he likes Sigma - Changing? ;) Obviously the more music with this tempo gets into the charts the more this tempo is accepted by general people. But it's not running under the flag "HEY THIS IS DRUM & BASS, GET TO KNOW!".

What I should have said is that Spor has gone over to the general d&b audience and doesn't need to attract people from the d&b audience - he's got his own audience. That's why I said he's bigger than d&b.

no artist is bigger than dnb. no artist is bigger than dubstep. no artist is bigger than garage..etc...no artist is bigger than the genre of music they produce. not one artist transcends music full stop. what you are saying is that this genre would not exist without spor???? i can assure you the genre would exist without him

and you are completely wrong about the impact that 'pop' dnb has on the listeners. yes a 40 year old clueless person to electronic music possibly could find out a bit more about the tune he just heard on the radio easily as there is much easier access to it when there wasnt 15 years ago, just the same as a savvy 10 year old can do. i know many people that have been introduced to dnb over the years through chart 'pop' dnb that have wanted to come to events and check the underground form of the music. dont forget that the popularity of this music was massively assisted in the early hardcore days with many many tunes getting into the mainstream charts in the early 90s. that led to a huge amount of extra interest from kids who were just listening to mainstream pop music, oh and that was when the music was bought and paid for, before youtube etc and free streaming or illegal downloading.

what you have to remember with every single genre of music there is always an underground. always. just because pop dnb isnt your thing doesnt mean it wont attract other people to listen to it and eventually possibly get into the more underground style of its form.
it just takes a good few years to filter down.
that is what has happened over the past 25 years since dnb came into life.

i mean i kinda get what you are trying to say, kinda, but i'd rather be known for making music with integrity than have 'my own audience' as you put it..plus 99% of that EDM audience that like feed me's music will download it for free anyways so i doubt being 'bigger than dnb' is a good thing for him anyways :)

no artist is bigger than dnb. no artist is bigger than dubstep. no artist is bigger than garage..etc...no artist is bigger than the genre of music they produce. not one artist transcends music full stop. what you are saying is that this genre would not exist without spor???? i can assure you the genre would exist without him

and you are completely wrong about the impact that 'pop' dnb has on the listeners. yes a 40 year old clueless person to electronic music possibly could find out a bit more about the tune he just heard on the radio easily as there is much easier access to it when there wasnt 15 years ago, just the same as a savvy 10 year old can do. i know many people that have been introduced to dnb over the years through chart 'pop' dnb that have wanted to come to events and check the underground form of the music. dont forget that the popularity of this music was massively assisted in the early hardcore days with many many tunes getting into the mainstream charts in the early 90s. that led to a huge amount of extra interest from kids who were just listening to mainstream pop music, oh and that was when the music was bought and paid for, before youtube etc and free streaming or illegal downloading.

what you have to remember with every single genre of music there is always an underground. always. just because pop dnb isnt your thing doesnt mean it wont attract other people to listen to it and eventually possibly get into the more underground style of its form.
it just takes a good few years to filter down.
that is what has happened over the past 25 years since dnb came into life.

i mean i kinda get what you are trying to say, kinda, but i'd rather be known for making music with integrity than have 'my own audience' as you put it..plus 99% of that EDM audience that like feed me's music will download it for free anyways so i doubt being 'bigger than dnb' is a good thing for him anyways :)

We really should get a room ;) I didn't say D&B didn't exists if it wasn't for Spor that's silly, I've corrected myself already in my last post.

What I should have said is that Spor has gone over to the general d&b audience and doesn't need to attract people from the d&b audience - he's got his own audience. That's why I said he's bigger than d&b.

I said the vast majority, I'm not denying it doesn't happen. It does of course but the vast majority doesn't care and won't look into it.
I do think he's majorly overrated and this remix is nothing that excites me whatsoever just to make it clear. All I wanted to point out is that he's not depending on the d&b audience if that's good or bad for him I don't know and really couldn't care less.

Jon is a talented guy, there's no denying that, and hopefully the Spor album will deliver more than this remix did. I'm glad he's going back to his roots and producing dnb again, I have to say there was pretty much no Feed Me tune I liked haha.

I think this is just boring. Sounds like a 2008 tune ala Bassline Smith & Drumsound meet Pendulum.

I´m also not looking forward to that Prodigy album, they should have retired in the 90s :teeth:

Back
Top Bottom