Online Collaboration

Vanden

-nieuwenhuysen
VIP Junglist
So I'm gonna be collaborating a bit with my friend who lives far far away in the north....we don't have the same samples or anything but both use Ableton 9. Is there any easy way to zip up all the samples used and everything else? Or do I have to go and hunt each one out?

Splice is the best way to do it,
you upload the project onto the site and every time you save it saves back to the splice cloud. you can see every separate save and see what has changed in each. and if you lose the project its always backed up on splice. Me and a mate use it for our duo and it works amazingly!

https://splice.com/

Splice is the best way to do it,
you upload the project onto the site and every time you save it saves back to the splice cloud. you can see every separate save and see what has changed in each. and if you lose the project its always backed up on splice. Me and a mate use it for our duo and it works amazingly!

https://splice.com/

Nice one mate! That seems perfect....although - it says it supports Ableton Live 8+, me and my mate both use 9. will this be a problem?

nope it just means it supports down to 8 and everything above! make sure you collect all and save before the first upload, and render down any channels with 3rd party plugins on them that your mate doesn't have and vice versa.

For samples & such, you can always share a dropbox account or something. I work by myself, but I save my own made sample in my Google Drive account so I can access 'em somewhere else if needed.

Turns out my mate is using 8 and i've got 9. He can't seem to open the project i sent him. any way around this other than him upgrading?

that;s what i though. bit of a mission though each and every time, no?

Yeah, it's a mission for sure. Doesn't ableton let you install the program on more than one computer? I could be wrong here, but you might be able to have your mate use your ableton license and install version 9 on his computer.

I mean, people that work together in studios have the same software installed on more than one computer in the studio without having to buy multiple copies.

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

Yeah there is no way around that other than bouncing down the channels or you downloading ableton 8 and using that. You can open 8 projects in 9 but it will convert them to a live 9 file so it wont be openable in 8 after that.

Yeah, it's a mission for sure. Doesn't ableton let you install the program on more than one computer? I could be wrong here, but you might be able to have your mate use your ableton license and install version 9 on his computer.

I mean, people that work together in studios have the same software installed on more than one computer in the studio without having to buy multiple copies.

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

good point

Problem being with giving him your licence is that ableton only give you so many, they can see if 2 computers are using it and may not want to give you additional licences for when you need to install I a new computer or on a os reinstall in the future. Would work, but at your decision to give him potentially your last licence.

So I'm gonna be collaborating a bit with my friend who lives far far away in the north....we don't have the same samples or anything but both use Ableton 9. Is there any easy way to zip up all the samples used and everything else? Or do I have to go and hunt each one out?

Collect all and save in ableton, copy the project file and the sample folder to a zip. Bingo.

Problem being with giving him your licence is that ableton only give you so many, they can see if 2 computers are using it and may not want to give you additional licences for when you need to install I a new computer or on a os reinstall in the future. Would work, but at your decision to give him potentially your last licence.
Yeah, I know with native instruments you can have more than one licens, and if you need to install on a new computer because you upgrade your PC or something, you just uninstall the copy from the computer you will no longer need it on and then their system picks up that it's been removed and another install is essentially "put back into the pool" so to say.

I can't remember what the name of their program is, but it's an actual program that keeps track of all your NI installations. You can open it up and see what's currently installed and if it's up to date and all that.

Back
Top Bottom