speaker upgrade

EuroTide

VIP Junglist
Hey,

I´m looking for an upgrade over my Alesis iM1Active 520 monitors, as one speakers lows are a bit fucked
and i feel like not getting the most out of my records soundwise.

Mostly playing hiphop , reggae, dnb but all sorts of stuff too. new speakers would be used pretty much for vinyl only listening
i`ve been mixing less & less over the past two years.

i dont have any preferences, active monitors, amp .., doesnt matter.
budget is roughly 500€ but i can stretch that, i dont mind second hand gear.

any suggestions would be welcome

cheers

thanks Craig, will have a look at them and compare them to what i got. there is also an extra sub for them from what i saw

Got the Yamaha HS7's myself.

Highly recommend the range absolute love them since upgrading from KRK's

When i bought my monitors I had it narrowed down to KRK Rokit 6's and Yamaha HS7's......ended up going with the Rokits cos of the rear ports on the HS7's.......and now regret that decision, as mixdowns do not translate well on the Rokits.

Yeah they are decent for general listening, djing...etc, but not for studio monitoring. I have no idea why they get recommended so often on production forums, the sound is too coloured for that purpose.

Noone is actually recommending the amp + speakers route ?!

amps (as in HiFi amps) can also colour sound, theres also a billion different choices out there and many of them are unsuitable for true, flat sound reproduction. Then youve got all the hassle of working out your ohmage and actually finding some good, affordable, acoustically flat speakers that arent already amplified. (the NS10's would be a decent choice tho!)

Why bother with all that when you can buy a finely tuned package thats already been tested to within an inch of its life? Plug and go!

amps (as in HiFi amps) can also colour sound, theres also a billion different choices out there and many of them are unsuitable for true, flat sound reproduction. Then youve got all the hassle of working out your ohmage and actually finding some good, affordable, acoustically flat speakers that arent already amplified. (the NS10's would be a decent choice tho!)

Why bother with all that when you can buy a finely tuned package thats already been tested to within an inch of its life? Plug and go!

You want the sound to be colored. You're mixing, not producing. I've never understood why people mix on monitors. That's not what they're made for. You're far better off going with speakers and an amp. Everything is warmer, which is a good thing. That's what you'll be encountering when you play out.

You also don't want to mix with near field monitors in your face. You're going to blast them way to high because you're having fun. That's going to glow your fucking ears out. You can space speakers further away from your face.

i got the rokit 8's they have a kick to them to say the least. far too louf for my little flat but sound nice when pushed

Back
Top Bottom