So I'm starting to make plug-ins, and I could use some feedback!

Dugg Funnie

VIP Junglist
Hey everybody, long time no see!

I been keeping busy, hustlin', workin' hard, etc...

Anyways, I've been working on launching a plug-in company, right now there's a beta test of our first plug-in. It's a pretty simple plug-in that uses the Haas effect to give you more control over placement in the stereo image than traditional rotary panpots.

If you want to snag a copy (free obvs) you can grab that here. There currently isn't a mac port, I need to get my battery replaced so I can compile the thing in XCode.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8qt06r3w4epczhx/HaasPlugin(2).dll

And also, I put together a quick 10 question survey because I have a couple ideas form the business end of things that I'd like to get your feedback on. I see a lot of flaws in the current operations of plug-in companies and I have some ideas of a different way to monetize the system so that the company can still operate (albeit with, presumably, margins tighter than Mary Magdalene), and customers can still get plug-ins at a reasonable price. So, like I said it's 10 questions, if you go slow it'll take you a minute and I'd really really appreciate the input, so please fill it out!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LWD8WBV

Thanks!

And if anybody downloads the plug-in and has issues to report please feel free to post them up in this thread!

Cheers

@ mention me when there is a Mac version duggface

- - - Updated - - -

also just done the survey and didnt receive my free gift pack. Gutted

There should be a Mac .component out by the end of the week; possibly tonight if my buddy comes through with a new battery.

I'll be in the studio next week and I can give this a test. :) Are you using a library like Juce or WDL/IPlug? I've been thinking of making a few simple plug-ins specific to my style.

Yup I use JUCE.

Specifically I do prototyping with RackAFX, developed by Will Pirkle which allows me to put together the building blocks of the DSP algorithms really quickly. Then I take the code form that and migrate it into the JUCE framework since JUCE is the don.

I will check this plugin later today, thanks!

Now for future plugins you make I can include and use them in my tutorial videos and show my viewers how they work. Would you be interested in that?

yeah the precedence is the Haas effect; which is also referred to as the precedence effect so that's what I went with for the parameter name.

Glad you like it!

The next patch should smooth out the movement of the precedence knob (for those so curious/nerdy I'm adding linear interpolation to the delay), make it more CPU efficient, despite it already being a very light CPU load, and then adding mono-input compatibility, right now mono-in will create weird phase problems in the output.

- - - Updated - - -

I will check this plugin later today, thanks!

Now for future plugins you make I can include and use them in my tutorial videos and show my viewers how they work. Would you be interested in that?

That kind of exposure would be supremely awesome! Thank you for the offer. I can't exactly say what plug-ins will be developed next & on what sort of timeline. Given, that I'm still just getting the start-up trajectory going and pair that with the fact I'm trying to explore business models that, as far as I know, don't really exist elsewhere in the audio plug-in market. But once I have more of a long-term picture established with the company I'll definitely be looking into affiliates and other brand expansion ideas.

That kind of exposure would be supremely awesome! Thank you for the offer. I can't exactly say what plug-ins will be developed next & on what sort of timeline. Given, that I'm still just getting the start-up trajectory going and pair that with the fact I'm trying to explore business models that, as far as I know, don't really exist elsewhere in the audio plug-in market. But once I have more of a long-term picture established with the company I'll definitely be looking into affiliates and other brand expansion ideas.

Just keep me updated! :)

Yup I use JUCE.

Specifically I do prototyping with RackAFX, developed by Will Pirkle which allows me to put together the building blocks of the DSP algorithms really quickly. Then I take the code form that and migrate it into the JUCE framework since JUCE is the don.

Cool. I wrote a couple simple plug-ins with WDL, but have seen JUCE referenced more. Suppose I'll give it a try too before marrying myself to just one. :thumbsup:

If we have ideas for new plugs, can we tell you and if you like the idea you might make them?

Not only yes, but also that's actually an idea I've had since the beginning of wanting to create this thing.

Basically, in the survey when I talked about the subscription idea one of the things I was tossing around was a restricted part of a forum for subscribers only where people would cast their ideas for a plug-in, then other members would critique and refine the ideas, then through some sort of voting system the community would collectively agree as a whole what they want the next plug-in released by the company to be. And they'd get access to beta testing & input on GUI design, etc...and I figure I'll make source code available for people interested in that sort of thing too.

Not only yes, but also that's actually an idea I've had since the beginning of wanting to create this thing.

Basically, in the survey when I talked about the subscription idea one of the things I was tossing around was a restricted part of a forum for subscribers only where people would cast their ideas for a plug-in, then other members would critique and refine the ideas, then through some sort of voting system the community would collectively agree as a whole what they want the next plug-in released by the company to be. And they'd get access to beta testing & input on GUI design, etc...and I figure I'll make source code available for people interested in that sort of thing too.

Sounds like a good idea. Couple things though:
1. I don't think you should restrict the number of people too much because most people won't want to put in too much effort. It's really hard to get good feedback for your tracks these days, and the same would probably apply to plugins.

2. Don't rely on them too much. 'If I'd asked people what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse' Henry Ford. (one of my fav quotes) You are in a better position to imagine creative plugins than most people who just use them.

I see this plug-in being very handy to position sounds. It was also very quick scroll the scales to a/b changes. I did run into two errors in Sound Forge 10.0 which might be related:

1. Output gain (and all parameters) defaulted to 0.0 which seemed odd.
2. When trying to process, I received the following error and then the plug-in failed to render out audio: "An error occured when loading a plug-in or plug-ins. The plug-in preset(s) could not be loaded." I think you need to have at least one preset created (although I couldn't save out one to test this).

Hey, so bumping this thread because I've since updated the code, AND FINALLY got a mac version out:

http://apexaudio.org/product/haa5-stereo-control-beta/

If you want it for free just leave the price at $0 and go through, at the end there should be a download link for Windows & Mac versions respectively. For any mac people out there, I specifically would really appreciate any input/errors you encounter, I don't have a DAW on my macbook so my testing options are relatively limited.

Also, pay no mind to my basic wordpress site skills.

Back
Top Bottom