Djing basics (for beginners)

did you find this helpful?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So a beginner should learn the primary fundamental of being a DJ first...........How to beatmatch.

Oh, and..................................

11879949.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so you've been DJing for a whole year now. You've learned how to mix with a MIDI controller and a laptop. You've now moved on to CDJs and a mixer. This is actually were the fun starts for you.

I started DJing in 1996, before you were born. It was a lot different back then. You needed at least £2k to get a decent set up and then you had to start buying vinyl at £5 for a 12". It was an expensive game to get into and the first thing you did was, as Teddy has already told you, get 2 of the same record and try to beatmatch until you get it locked down. This is what takes the most time to perfect and is the key skill that makes the transition from mixing on turntables to mixing on CDJs and even midi controllers almost seamless.

IF YOU CAN BEATMATCH YOU CAN MIX ON ANYTHING!

Technology has made becoming a DJ a lot cheaper and easier to access as anyone can buy a Hercules controller for £200 and download a load of illegal tunes from TPB. This doesn't make you an instant DJ. You need to put in a lot of hard graft and learn how to do the basics very very well before you can even call yourself a DJ.

Do you plan on taking the skills you learn and playing a set in a night club in front of real live people?

i've had sets at raves, Played on a few little radio stations. its not a Career choice for me at all. its a hobbie. yeah i do, not yet though, want to get all my studying out the way before i start playing live again.

i've had sets at raves, Played on a few little radio stations. its not a Career choice for me at all. its a hobbie. yeah i do, not yet though, want to get all my studying out the way before i start playing live again.

Its alway been a hobby to me, albeit one I am very passionate about.

You have 3 years to hone your skills before you graduate from Uni. Maybe your Uni will have a DnB society that you could get involved in and start putting nights on with.

You have 3 years to hone your skills before you graduate from Uni. Maybe your Uni will have a DnB society that you could get involved in and start putting nights on with.

Very good advice, thanks :)

I'm in a dj society at my uni here in Birmingham, not the greatest of groups but fucking good for networking; meeting likeminded producers, dj's and promoters.

As someone in his 30's that's been mixing for over 10 years, I really feel like the medium doesn't mean shit. With that said, it'll make you a better dj by starting without software. Software has too many tools that can easily become crutches. Start with the basics and learn the fundamentals, then move on. I do a lot of things people think are blasphemy. I use a ton of cue points, cue drops and effects. I still beatmatch because it's a lot more fun. I use the phase meter because I play a lot of tunes with beatless intros. I don't play like Teebee or Mefjus and act all spastic spamming drops because the music I play isn't made for that, but I still use a lot of the same tools they do.

Basically, after you've picked up the fundamentals, you're free to break it down, but you must be competent playing on all mediums. That means starting with vinyl or CDJ's.

Back
Top Bottom