Menosance - Dragonfly Club (need an opinion on track) + my Lightning Remix Entry

Menosance

aka OSOI
VIP Junglist
Hi there,

I hope you are all enjoying your Christmas festivities and all full of health. Here I am writing about 2 tracks, one original and one other a remix. The original is called Dragonfly Club and it is an ambient/atmospheric minimal D&B track. I tried to go for a personal twist of the Autonomic sound and I am happy with the result. One question is on the drums, mainly kicks. What do you think about them? Also, what do think about the whole track? All critique is welcomed :)

https://soundcloud.com/menosance/dragonfly-club-test/s-gEaxK

Also, I have finished my Lightning remix and also uploaded it onto Beatport Play. Here is the link if you would like to listen:
http://play.beatport.com/contests/nu:tone-lighting/54a00520753a0d78af5d7fb8

All comments/critique on both tracks is welcomed! :)

Thanks in advance,

Much Love, Meno :D

(Gonna review Dragon Fly club.. excuse me if everything I say sounds totally incorrect as I have no experience in minimal dnb... or hardly any dnb at all :'D)
The kicks could... sidechain a bit more with the sub...? that's about most I can say.. one of em sounds pretty weak and poofy but I'm not sure if that's intentional or not @_@
The track is very different, I like it, though it doesn't really feel like drum 'n' bass (least none that I've heard) it feels more like an experimental track of some sort.
It's really chill though, I like it a lot :>

(Gonna review Dragon Fly club.. excuse me if everything I say sounds totally incorrect as I have no experience in minimal dnb... or hardly any dnb at all :'D)
The kicks could... sidechain a bit more with the sub...? that's about most I can say.. one of em sounds pretty weak and poofy but I'm not sure if that's intentional or not @_@
The track is very different, I like it, though it doesn't really feel like drum 'n' bass (least none that I've heard) it feels more like an experimental track of some sort.
It's really chill though, I like it a lot :>

Thanks for your kind comments lad :)

Dragonfly club: I love the little ringing atmo you're using as a riser, it's absolutely chilling.

I'm not sure the intro is completely necessary, I would cut some or all of it. Also, I'm feeling a lack of a hook or central riff here. There's quite a lot of tension and energy though.
I think it has potential, but the obvious thing is the lack of loudness and huge boomy bassy impressiveness. It's crude, but you kinda have to do it for dnb.

Lightning remix:
Mostly it comes out as you intended (I think :D) I would tweak the rhythm of the central stab though, I'm not 100% feeling the groove of that but it could just be me.

Dragonfly club: I love the little ringing atmo you're using as a riser, it's absolutely chilling.

I'm not sure the intro is completely necessary, I would cut some or all of it. Also, I'm feeling a lack of a hook or central riff here. There's quite a lot of tension and energy though.
I think it has potential, but the obvious thing is the lack of loudness and huge boomy bassy impressiveness. It's crude, but you kinda have to do it for dnb.

Lightning remix:
Mostly it comes out as you intended (I think :D) I would tweak the rhythm of the central stab though, I'm not 100% feeling the groove of that but it could just be me.

Thanks mate :) I do get your idea of Dragonfly Club being more straight in your face, but I didn't wanted to be like that. It is mainly made for the headphone listening listener. Even the kicks are 'naked' 707s kicks, and they just there to give the necessary groove. I do get your point of the intro though, still don't know how to resolve it.

For the Lightning remix, I just want it to interpret it at my sound and at 87 bpm, so yeah it came out as I intended to be. Central stab is a bit repetitive, but fuck it wasn't really happy with the samples in the first place and I wanted to keep the original's vibe as well.

Nonetheless, thank you for critique :)

Back
Top Bottom