Syntheseizer

I stupidly bought on impulse the novation controller thing for doing some mixes for potential podcast nonesense with me and some mates and find it a bit flimsly and the buttons too small, in hindsight i mabye should have got the push for ableton. im wrkn a lot over xmas n new year so will have decent coinage so ill keep the novation midi controllers in bag for use at work... but want something i can get into again, and after talk in another thread about synthesis mabye a sampler is the answer i like the old S01 but its too much of a workflow hassle also the sound certainly isnt any good for dnb prod. cant hurt to try the mpc ill just sell it if i dont like it also i like the use of word kool comming from you must be good bit of gear and its all about sound for me. Regarding the podcasts im killing two birds with one stone by getting my lad a little extra for his xmas by buying a numark mixer so ill get a shot when hes not around lol.

which one? is that the APC type controller copy? or the remote zero?

I've got a novation remote SL, which I love, its definitely plasticy and doesn't scream quality, but i love it now, I use it as a controller for a mastering bus, rather than as one that flips between different effects and synths...agreed as a mix control its not great, the faders are far to small

I have a novation remote zero, and I love it, it sits under my screen as a controller strictly for the master bus...although it does have faders, they are utterly useless for controlling a mix (I use them as a parameteric EQ), as with any midi-control, they are limited to a very low resolution, 128 stops basically, so if you want to make adjustments smaller than ~0.7db, you cant do it...you need something like a Eucon controller, like the Avid Artist series, they work over Ethernet and provide excellent precision mixing, but... Eucon isn't built into Ableton, so kinda screwed really without an analog desk

yep MPC really does sound awesome, no getting around it, although it only sounded amazing after I was told about the "special sound" it has when the gain is driven hard while recording...for that alone its brilliant, one day I want to build myself a little pre-amp based on the elecontrics of it, coz it has that dirty sampler/hiphop sound that only an MPC can produce...really was a royal pain in the backside to use tho, and massively limited, i couldn't live with it myself

which one? is that the APC type controller copy? or the remote zero?

I've got a novation remote SL, which I love, its definitely plasticy and doesn't scream quality, but i love it now, I use it as a controller for a mastering bus, rather than as one that flips between different effects and synths...agreed as a mix control its not great, the faders are far to small

I have a novation remote zero, and I love it, it sits under my screen as a controller strictly for the master bus...although it does have faders, they are utterly useless for controlling a mix (I use them as a parameteric EQ), as with any midi-control, they are limited to a very low resolution, 128 stops basically, so if you want to make adjustments smaller than ~0.7db, you cant do it...you need something like a Eucon controller, like the Avid Artist series, they work over Ethernet and provide excellent precision mixing, but... Eucon isn't built into Ableton, so kinda screwed really without an analog desk

yep MPC really does sound awesome, no getting around it, although it only sounded amazing after I was told about the "special sound" it has when the gain is driven hard while recording...for that alone its brilliant, one day I want to build myself a little pre-amp based on the elecontrics of it, coz it has that dirty sampler/hiphop sound that only an MPC can produce...really was a royal pain in the backside to use tho, and massively limited, i couldn't live with it myself

No it was the Launchpad mini and control... it was a drunk buy dont ask lol its useless i really should ask here or even just inbox yourself for a bit advice before spending cash on things you helped make a decision on a laptop in the past and its still going strong after what 2 years almost so thanks for that.

I like the look of that but for the kid he wants the decks and its cool for him and benefits me and my mates so win win... mabye i can sell the launchpad and lower the cost of the mpc... im using tom cosm to mix on ableton though and need a controller with some depth. i dont want to spending thousands on synths and hardware though (cos this is where its leading). you think the mpc could duble up as a controller for simple mix for podcasts in anyway? or another suggestion?

nah you don't want to use the MPC as a controller, at least not the old-sampler ones...def want a modern controller so you get decent feedback, like Push (no faders tho) or the new APC MKII...depends on your style of playing tho, what was it about the Launchpad that you didn't like? you might be better off with a combination of a few different controllers to get the control you want over the mix and performance

unfortunelty tho, there are no midi controllers which can provide anywhere near the same mix experience you get from an analog mixer, i wish there where (I've been searching for a long time lol), but midi is restricted to sending numbers 0-128 only, that's really crap resolution when dealing with mixes which might need tweeking by 0.2db or smaller

glad to hear the laptops going strong still :D its already outlast most macbooks then haha

its all good miszt im just having a little think and reckon a little bit more attention and seriousness is needed with my productions for next year. being an ableton user like yourself i know how good the stoc synths and simpler/sampler is so mabye ill just concentrate on that. Regarding the launchpad i find the buttons too hard to push im looking at it right now thinking... "hmmm ive got a mic hanging right above the duo mabye if i took a hammer and sampled the sound i made hitting said buttons with a hammer might make it worth the coin" if i decide to do that ill video it... i wont though it isnt entirely useless my approach to it mabye needs to be addressed lol.

As usual your input has given me a little bit more insight thanks man

Back
Top Bottom