how do you write the second drop?

What I usually do is make the start of the 2nd drop a bit different from the first.
Keep the same FX, but make the edits/fills completely different.
(This is with Neurofunk though.)

I don't think the 2nd drop necessarily needs to be significantly different from the 1st especially if the 1st one works well. IMO a lot of the classic D&B tracks are based upon repeating a small number of great sounds rather than massive changes. I sometimes think I make too many changes in my tracks rather than roll out the same basic loop with a few small alterations and automation. Probably comes from repeated listening to the track whilst making it

Well, it really depends. A solid tune can have the exact same mainpart 2 times and no one will complain about it. But some tunes have that second mainpart where everyone is like "dude, you need to wait for the second mainpart, it's even sicker than the first one!".
Just keep the essential elements from the first mainpart and only change some of the details, e.g. the roll before the drop.

Automation! I don't see the point in massively changing the arrangement but automating some of the parameters in you synth can help bring out some new sounds whilst keeping the flow of the track unchanged

The first drop could hit all your cool sounds making it massive, then the second one could hold back on some elements when it drops, then bring them back in one by one every 32,64,or 128 bars or whatever... Make the crowd work to get them back. If the fist drop is hella sick, people will be expecting that again. Giving it to them piece by piece will make'em go nuts when it finally come back to the full sickness of the first drop.

Just an idea, we've all heard it before. And done properly work out good.

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

I have been incorporating part 1 of chorus as the time for the second drop. I have been trying to make my tunes less repetitive and more interesting while trying to keep the same melody/lead more or less.

Back
Top Bottom