I made a cheesy track.

IV4

DnBF Sheriff
VIP Junglist
I wanted to make a cheesy track that had some emotion and drums different to the ones you can hear in the track in my sig. I also wanted to make a decent intro and break. Another technique I have been working on that I tiled was smashing the fuck out of my bass with compression and really taking advantage of the tails being louder, you can hear that in the b-line. Overall I applied the concept of doing more with less and built the track and then spent a lot of time on key parts of the song. This track was extremely frustrating to make, and even though, it maybe only has 30-40 track lines, the processing of each line got so overwhelming logic could play a bar and crash.

Please, let me know what you think or just leave a post letting me know you listen. All critique is welcomed.

absolutely not my cuppa tea but i can see where you wanna go with this. somehow i'm not getting any low end of the clip though, you might wanna check your subs

not cheesy at all man, its euphoric...love it!

I think you need to kill the build up 1 or 2 bars before it actually drops, strip it right back, no percussion or anything, just build the suspense up rather than adding the perc in...then Boom. (a bit like you did with the end of the breakdown, but without the drum roll into the drop)

mixdown needs work, its lacking warmth, bit better after ~2:15, but still a bit top and bottom heavy; prior to 2:15 you've got nice top end, percussions nice and shiney, kick and snare nice and punchy, and the sub is there, but needs more warmth, atm its all top end, sub and perc

double that vocal channel up, split them far left and far right, and give each channel a slightly variation in FX (really subtle difference, just enough to widen it a tiny bit, one way to do is simply with EQ, so you might have a 0.5db boost @ 2khz, and a 0.5db @1.5khz dip on the left channel, and then do the opposite on the right channel, so 0.5db dip @ 2khz, and 0.5db boost @ 1.5khz...or you could do it with reverb, have a slightly different filter/depth/tail length on each channel left and right, i really do mean "slightly" tho, the difference shouldn't be clearly audible, its just about separation of the stereo field...think in numbers smaller than 0.5 and you'll be good to go...this is a trick used on vocals in pretty much all commercial vocal tracks, called "doubling")

also the main saw synth aswell, could do with allot more warmth, sounds awesome in the top, but has no warmth and depth, maybe double the channel up, and drop one of them down an octave, and take some of the top end off it? obviously this is gona mean some more tweeking of the mix and EQ to balance things out, but without the warmth in the mid-range, its not sounding the way you intend

I think the second bit could be tightened up a bit aswell, after 2:15, its not far off at all, just needs a few EQ tweeks and more careful compression overall to really glue it all together

I look forward to hearing this finished...if you struggle with the mix, hit me up with a PM, I've got some time over xmas, would be happy to mix it down for you...i don't make allot of dnb like this any more, but i fookin love the style :)

Last edited:
Obviously i have no idea what im talking about... but i dnt find it cheesy mabye the vocal a little but some sounds are dark enough for my ears. id say liquid sound and executed well. my mate and myself are trying to get this sound (kinda) i like the bass sounds good i cant get even close to that sound i would like to hear the disto reece a bit louder when it comes in though.

Judging by your methods and Miszt Critique you guys really take it too next level. Quality track

i have a soft spot in my heart for trance, especially trancy drum n bass, is that what you mean by "cheesy", the pads?. If so, it only has a slight odour of a brand new cheddar(aged 6 months max). i never liked playing these types of tunes but enjoyed listenin to them if that makes any sense. i suck at critiquing btw. i usually only comment if i like something lol.

not cheesy at all man, its euphoric...love it!

I think you need to kill the build up 1 or 2 bars before it actually drops, strip it right back, no percussion or anything, just build the suspense up rather than adding the perc in...then Boom. (a bit like you did with the end of the breakdown, but without the drum roll into the drop)

mixdown needs work, its lacking warmth, bit better after ~2:15, but still a bit top and bottom heavy; prior to 2:15 you've got nice top end, percussions nice and shiney, kick and snare nice and punchy, and the sub is there, but needs more warmth, atm its all top end, sub and perc

double that vocal channel up, split them far left and far right, and give each channel a slightly variation in FX (really subtle difference, just enough to widen it a tiny bit, one way to do is simply with EQ, so you might have a 0.5db boost @ 2khz, and a 0.5db @1.5khz dip on the left channel, and then do the opposite on the right channel, so 0.5db dip @ 2khz, and 0.5db boost @ 1.5khz...or you could do it with reverb, have a slightly different filter/depth/tail length on each channel left and right, i really do mean "slightly" tho, the difference shouldn't be clearly audible, its just about separation of the stereo field...think in numbers smaller than 0.5 and you'll be good to go...this is a trick used on vocals in pretty much all commercial vocal tracks, called "doubling")

also the main saw synth aswell, could do with allot more warmth, sounds awesome in the top, but has no warmth and depth, maybe double the channel up, and drop one of them down an octave, and take some of the top end off it? obviously this is gona mean some more tweeking of the mix and EQ to balance things out, but without the warmth in the mid-range, its not sounding the way you intend

I think the second bit could be tightened up a bit aswell, after 2:15, its not far off at all, just needs a few EQ tweeks and more careful compression overall to really glue it all together

I look forward to hearing this finished...if you struggle with the mix, hit me up with a PM, I've got some time over xmas, would be happy to mix it down for you...i don't make allot of dnb like this any more, but i fookin love the style :)

Fucking hell man, you give the best and most insightful advice on the forum. I really want to express my attitude. As far as tweaking almost everything you mentioned is everything I am struggling with especially the warmth of the synth on top. However, I reached my full potential and knowledge with this track and my cpu usage on my computer. If you can believe this track crashes reason and I did not think that was possible until now.

If you would like to do a mix down or a remix give me a few days. There is another producer out there who is like you and has helped me over the years who wants to finalized this in a collaboration so I will be making this into stems when I get some time. I'm just getting hammered right now with finals at school, its the busy season at work, and I got three kids.

Thanks one again.

- - - Updated - - -

Obviously i have no idea what im talking about... but i dnt find it cheesy mabye the vocal a little but some sounds are dark enough for my ears. id say liquid sound and executed well. my mate and myself are trying to get this sound (kinda) i like the bass sounds good i cant get even close to that sound i would like to hear the disto reece a bit louder when it comes in though.

Judging by your methods and Miszt Critique you guys really take it too next level. Quality track

Yes you do and your every bit as good if not better than me, your advice and opinions good or bad are always welcome. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

i have a soft spot in my heart for trance, especially trancy drum n bass, is that what you mean by "cheesy", the pads?. If so, it only has a slight odour of a brand new cheddar(aged 6 months max). i never liked playing these types of tunes but enjoyed listenin to them if that makes any sense. i suck at critiquing btw. i usually only comment if i like something lol.

Yea, me too, I love drum and bass as a whole and would like to produce every kind of style. I also mean the synth is cheesy but I like cheese everyone in awhile. Thank you for your feedback.

big ups iv4 , feeling the anthem feel, all i would maybe do is take the big distorted string style chords and add a touch of tremolo to wobble the pitch a little or maybe detune them a little bit to give them some warble as they seem quite "straight" or "flat" if that makes sense. but otherwise always great production from you, only listening in cheap cans so dont wanna give any pointers on mix. big ups!

damn fine track ivan. trancey. im listening on shitty 2 cent earbuds i stole on the train and the mixdown is luxurious from where im sitting. sounds analog. means its probably wrong on real monitors, but still. maybe it could use some techy stabs or something to signify its drum and bass-ness lol i dont know

damn fine track ivan. trancey. im listening on shitty 2 cent earbuds i stole on the train and the mixdown is luxurious from where im sitting. sounds analog. means its probably wrong on real monitors, but still. maybe it could use some techy stabs or something to signify its drum and bass-ness lol i dont know
First feedback you have ever given me and you tell me I need techy stabs to make it sound like drum and bass. Thnaks.

Man, you should keep at this style for a while, this tune is class. Technical stuff aside, I reckon this sounds as good or better than some of the other cheesy (your word) tunes around. Commercial may be a better word. I would definitely take Miszt up on his offer.

Can you bounce or freeze tracks to help with the processing power btw?

Man, you should keep at this style for a while, this tune is class. Technical stuff aside, I reckon this sounds as good or better than some of the other cheesy (your word) tunes around. Commercial may be a better word. I would definitely take Miszt up on his offer.

Can you bounce or freeze tracks to help with the processing power btw?
[MENTION=26040]wingz[/MENTION]
Absolutely, I am and with all thanks to [MENTION=13272]miszt[/MENTION] have mixed the track down into eight channels. After doing so I also can see what wings was taking about concerning the sub-bass. So right now I am currently trying to work out a process to add a sub with no pop sound playing with the notation I currently have. Hopefully Mitzt can make put a professional mix together and work out some stereo spacing issues I have. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom