Logic X users I have questions.

IV4

DnBF Sheriff
VIP Junglist
So back in the day like 2006ish, all I wanted to do was get Logic. However, i could not afford a mac let alone 1,000 dollar program. In 2008 I bought a second hand mac and got garage band. About two years after that, I grew out of garage band and got reason. Four years later, I love and hate reason. I have never been a serious producer but I believe it is time to move on..... My biggest fear is the learning curve. To learn a whole new program sounds....terrifying especially when I have not learned everything about reason. However, Komplete, Camle Phat, Fm Synthesizers, decent Samplers, and all the other things I want to work with could be available to me. I would like to think after Reason 7 that reason is catching up to the modern world but with reason 8 I am just not sure. I am insecure about this and need your opinions to make a sound decision

Last edited:
if i could figure it out, anybody should be able to. got my first mac 4 years ago and had no prior knowledge o logic and it took me about 6 monhts just be able to use lol.I wondered why the daw wasn't making any noise when i would hit a note on a midi keyboard without loading a plugin type shit.... loll. now with X out and no need for the fucking environment and the ease of track stacks for bussing i'de say it's pretty standard and easy to learn. thee biggest problem i encountered was setting up my virus as a multi output, took me so long to configure so i could use it the way it was meant. would't stress too much about it as i said, if i can figure it out, anyone can.

Its the same learning process as was you had with reason, except now you already have some DAW experience. Its only $200 too, completely worth it even if you only touch it once in a while, with the great plugins it has. Like, even if you only used it for stem mixing/mastering itd be worth it.

I'm a Reason user & since I recently got a Macbook, I decided to try out Logic. Although I've got a basic idea of what I'm doing in it, I still tend to mainly use Reason when making sounds & drums & so on. It's workflow is perfect for me. But, what I do love about Logic is how easy it is to work with audio. Mixing is great in it aswell. Also, the plug-ins Reason lacks can be used in Logic.
So overall, the creative part is Reason, the more technical part is Logic, for me.

Former Reason 7 (also FL Studio and Reaper) user here, been making music for 4 years, moved to Logic Pro X about a month ago. To the point, if you ask me: Get Logic, the deal is this:

Update from Reason 7 to Reason 8 = 129€/$, Reason 8 for new users = 369€/$

What you get: Workflow upgrade for people who don't use keyboard shortcuts, and 2 new amps to replace something (Line-6 amps) which are 10 years old.

Logic Pro X from app store = 179€ (cheap as fuck) over here

What you get: Support for 3rd party AU plugins and VSTs if you get the vst adapter, 5-10 times more effects and 90% of them sound better than than stock ones in Reason. You get the "Pedalboard", which makes Line-6 amps seem like a piece of crap. EQing is so much better; you are not limited of having one spectrum eq per track, unlike in Reason there's a proper linear phase eq, adjustable 6-48db/oct curves instead of having the fixed 24db/oct low cuts/high cuts, and you're able to do surgical equing easier than in Reason where the Q is limited to something like 4 in the spectrum eq, when in Logic it's limited to 100. Same goes for compression and limiting, there's a lot more flexibility. Audio editing is a lightyear ahead of Reason. Logic's clip distortion effect could be made a vst plugin with the price tag of 100€/$ and hardstyle/hardcore producers would still buy it. About the synths, I mostly use ES2 for everything else and Sculpture for ambient/weird/realistic/vibey stuff, same way as I used Thor + Malström.

Only thing that I miss from Reason is the 4Dyne (RE multi-band comp/limiter/gater).

Talking about the learning curve, apart from occasional googleable how-to-[thing you want to do]-in-Logic-Pro-X issues, the only thing that I struggled with at the start was Sculpture, which is cool as hell, but has so many knobs, it's really confusing when you open it for the first time.

Just my opinion, but I think Reason gets left behind in the competition. The price is rip off, considering what you really get. Pro Tools is over priced too, but it doesn't sink because it's an industry standard in many places, and some new people are like "hey all pros use Pro Tools, I need it too". However there's so many things missing in Reason, it's not worth of 300-400€/$ for new users. Same thing with REs: would you rather buy something that costs 100€/$ as an RE which you lose if you move away from Reason, or buy the VST version which costs 120€/$ and you can stick with it forever, no matter if you change daw 3 times (most VSTs from major companies are also available as an AU/AAX etc.)?

no need to limit yourself to Logic...given that you have been used to a full studio package of synths and fx in Reason, i'd consider Ableton Live Studio, you get amazing synths, samplers, fx, sound banks and tools as standard in the studio edition, and a completely new and intuitive way of developing tracks in the Clips/Scenes view, which makes creating, developing, remixing and playing tracks far more interesting and fun, rather than the tedium of using a linear timeline (you gotta try it out to know why its so advanced in comparison to all DAW's which are still using just the timeline/linear view), and can use all the plugins you want...

its certainly an investment, but not one you will look back from with regret :) (i'm sure Ableton will have an xmas/jan sale if they arnt already...)

imo the only benefit you get from using Logic instead of Reason, is an (arguably and marginally) better audio engine

Last edited:
if they have demos get them

i used ableton in college and god i fucking hated it
the bit you are talking bout clips/scenes view i hated most.lol

after reason cubase would probably be my favourite never had a long go on logic though

can u get cubase for macs?

if they have demos get them

i used ableton in college and god i fucking hated it
the bit you are talking bout clips/scenes view i hated most.lol

after reason cubase would probably be my favourite never had a long go on logic though

not knowing how to use something is a terrible reason to hate it :P as with any piece of software, you have to put time into learning to find the benefits; what used to take me hours in arrangement, now takes just minutes...not having to rearrange things manually, and being able to play with arrangement on the fly, without having to redo the entire timeline, is a genius piece of interface design

i tried getting used to it but just couldnt
i know its decent but just doesnt work for me

also maybe i like the misery

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only used Ableton once or twice and I still have no idea what I'm doing. However, I think I will learn it and make the switch as I find Logic a bit tedious when using a large amount of tracks. I'm still using Logic 9 though.

I'm very tempted to go back to PC and using Fl studio to be honest... Making all my sounds in Logic then bouncing them down and arranging in FL

Yes. I've never used it myself but it seems expensive compared to Logic so I've never been tempted.
I did use Reason for a few months many years ago and while I liked it after moving to Logic Express 7 I've not looked back.
Ableton is about the only thing thats tempted me and I've resisted it so far

Back
Top Bottom