How does one achieve tight tom rolls?

LG18

I'm in need of tightness in my tom samples.

All my acoustic toms samples are too boomy and have too big a reverberation tail.
I've done the obvious EQ alterations, but it didn't do much.

Is there any way to make them less boomy?

Cheers.

- LG

turn them down...right down

compression will generally bring tails out even more, so you may be over doing it; but also ppl tend to have rolls way to loud, turn them down to -inf, and bring them back into the mix very very slowly, until they just sit right in the mix, if you find they start to pop out of the mix to much, turn them down a bit and start to EQ them so they don't interfere with your other more important sounds

I know on Abletons Impulse you can edit the amount/length of the sample that is played. So if there is a reverb tail on the sample, you could bring this down to cut off the end of the sample removing the reverb.

If you got the money, you can grab one of those virtual drummer VST's. They come with a few kits and midi patterns and also have a lot of adjustment capabilities for each and every single piece of the kit. Real good for getting the exact drum sound your looking for.

You can purchase differant kits as well. Metal, punk, etc. The one I have even has a current value kit add on, thing is sick. CV is know for his tight toms and kicks.

Edit: there's a few different ones around. One is actually called "virtual drummer". The one I have I believe is called addicted drums.

Last edited:
There's definitely a few things you can do!

For starters, try turning down your gain so they don't have so much force.

You can put a filter on it to see if you can takes out that noise (I'd recommend the Atom, look it up. Totally free and it's DEEEP). You may have to mess around with all the filters (hi, band, low, etc.), since I don't have a reference to the tone you're attempting to omit.

If that doesn't really do the trick, try running a tube amp plugin (Voxengo Tube Amp) or effect over it to "warm" the sound.

Believe it or not, you can run a reverb plugin to try make a more muffled sounding reverb. I have Apple software, so I have AUMatrixReverb which is really nice. Although I feel like you can push it only so far, you can still run two reverbs in your chain to mess with it some.

Hopefully this helps get ya on the right track! Cheers

New track off upcoming DnB mixtape

Last edited:
If you are lucky enough to have a multi-band noise gate plugin, it can make wonders. From what I remember from Reason and 4Dyne mb comp/limiter/noise gate, with right settings, you could make 200Hz-500Hz (mud range) from toms to sound like a resonant "pop" and remove the muddy tail in the process.

The absolute simplest way would be to use a compressor with high attack and high release, or use a transient shaper and turn the release down

I got a side question if yea guys don't mind me slightly high jacking the thread.... Is there a transient shaper that shows the audio waveform in live time as you edit it? So you could eventually see how the waveform is affected by what changes your doing to it.

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

Back
Top Bottom