DnB Master Classes From Digital Labz

khujo1023

Hey Folks,

Has anyone taken/watched a series of these before? I am asking because I think I may just purchase the bundle but want to know if the techniques they cover can be applied from one DAW to the next. It isn't worth my money if the majority are tied to pieces of gear/tech I don't own.

I bought all of them and have went through about 5 so far. Most of them have been outstanding with a few right at just ok.

i got the optical one - ridiculous!

i got the mind vortex, mefjus and break ones. I really want the optical one bad but the trailer for that video looks like the video quality is kinda bad, worse than the other vids so it made me really iffy on it. i'd love to hear any kind of insight from optical cuz he has more knowledge than any other dnb producer out there imo.

the digital labz vids never had the best quality as far tlas the vids are concerned but they're usually good enough to be able to follow along without a problem. the videos are shot from the audience's point of view so you see the presenter but you can't see the details of what's on the projected screen (their daw, etc). but luckily the periodically cut to screen capture software when necessary so you get a better view of their screen.

some vids are filmed better than others, I especially like when they cut to showing the screen capture shots. how is the quality of the optical video? cuz that's the best guy they've landed so far.

Last edited:
I've watched half the Optical one. He uses Cubase and I use Ableton but most of what he talks about is pretty general stuff that can be applied to any DAW. It isn't really Cubase specific knowledge. I've really enjoyed the first half so far.

Actually watching him use Cubase has made me appreciate Ableton more.

Last edited:
I've watched half the Optical one. He uses Cubase and I use Ableton but most of what he talks about is pretty general stuff that can be applied to any DAW. It isn't really Cubase specific knowledge. I've really enjoyed the first half so far.

Actually watching him use Cubase has made me appreciate Ableton more.

i'm sure we all agree that optical might be the best engineer in the biz and he's a legend as a producer also. but does he cover any techniques or knowledge that isn't in other masterclass videos? because imo most masterclass videos cover the same stuff over n over, if you've seen a couple then you've seen them all, with only a couple exceptions. i dont mean the digital labz but all masterclass vids. the digital labz vids are actually the best masterclass videos available as far as content is concerned bc the artists breakdown their songs entirely. but the "takeaway" knowledge doesnt vary much in most masterclasses, from the computer music mag to digital labz. as i mentioned above, digital labz video quality is hit n miss and while it's interesting to see the workflow of pro's, sometimes it gets redundant. with the good videos the main thing i get out of good ones is inspiration, some masterclasses are great at inspiring and motivating which that alone makes the good ones worth the money. but does optical share anything unique and not covered by other masterclasses?

to anyone who hasn't seen these videos, don't let my opinion deter you. you might find great value in them. digital labz does masterclass vids in a way that's different from the magazine masterclasses, they're more thorough and have a seminar setting, which is what makes the camera-work tricky I'm sure. iirc some of digital labz vids have screen capture software that let you see what's going on in high resolution and some videos they don't, in the latter they zoom into the projected screen and focus. it's good enough to see what's going on most of the time but is still a little fuzzy resolution-wise in those circumstances. hope this helps.

Last edited:
[MENTION=83401]djdizzy[/MENTION] - yeah found his presso very different to the majority of pro tuts. Covers some very basic concepts (waveforms, stereo, contrast etc) but in a way that put a lot of other techniques I've seen in other vids into context, for me was worth the $. He also offers quite a different view/approach to most other pros on eq, compression, processing breaks n shiz

Also for what it's worth I got more out of the Eveson masterclass than others on digital labz site

Opticals is by far one of the most informative and he does a great job in presenting. He constantly makes references to Breaks presentation as if to say 'i'm not covering this, check out Breaks".... Which, I watched beforehand and found the two coupled together really well.

The music theory one is junk.
Krusts - 'Power of Authenticity', felt like a strong motivational speech at times, which is great because I learned a different perspective.
Breaks is fantastic as well, a lot of practical knowledge and application.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the one on synthesis is really good as well.

Back
Top Bottom