Some food for thought !!!

I also have to say the way Jump-up represents itself feels really dated. The graphic design on the flyers, the faux-90's yardie language used in the copywriting, the general production standard of the beats, the standard of their online presence, and wildly unoriginal flows the MC's use. Its all feels a bit amateur

lol, first post. this geez will fit in well here

Label nights are one of the most reliable formulas in event promotion all across electronic music, so the real question is why are there so few jump-up labels with the suitable profile and structure to warrant being invited to host a label night ? If I was a local promoter and wanted to throw a jump-up night the franchise choices are awful. Its pretty much just Playaz who can offer genuine reciprocal value for money.

I also have to say the way Jump-up represents itself feels really dated. The graphic design on the flyers, the faux-90's yardie language used in the copywriting, the general production standard of the beats, the standard of their online presence, and wildly unoriginal flows the MC's use. Its all feels a bit amateur

Last point I want to make is about the 'big names' as Eks puts it not wanting to perform at the jump-up raves. The whole Jumpup sound feel like its been reverse engineered from the assumption that there'll be a mini-army of MC's all looking to pack machine-gun flows over as much of the set as possible, so the beat-makers are intentionally crafting soundtracks that enhance that formula. Try and replicate that Multi-MC formula over beats that don't have tons of space for the MC's to occupy and the whole thing falls to pieces. Recast the role of the MC in the rave-scene, and the variety will return - but at the moment there is a lack of trust in MC's and its just too much of a gamble. after all its the DJ, not the MC that mostly cop the blame for a badly received set so I can totally understand why they would avoid taking those bookings. Question is after almost a decade of a very narrow formula, is there really that much of an appetite in the 'rave' scene for other styles of act to get booked anyway ?

Fair opinion. I don't agree with most of it. The bit about general production standard I agree.

I wish they would make more tracks like this. This is top production at its best. Heard this get dropped a few times at jump up nights and it went down a treat but you wouldn't hear anything like this getting dropped at jump up raves now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jump Up always felt like the entry point for most people getting into D&B (if you're of a certain age at least anyway). And for a few years some of it was great (03-07 for me) but it all just started to become a bit samey then steadily got worse. Think there are any anthems in the raft of new school jump up like there would've been about ten years ago? Last tune I liked by a stereotypical 'jump up' producer was Silent E by Konichi.

It homogenised itself too much and didn't grow where the music, or the MC's, got any better

all just started to become a bit samey then steadily got worse.

Yeah jump-up used to have its own internal subgenres. TC + Heist with the mock-Dillinjah sound / Benny Page + Potential badboy had the millennium-ragga thing going on / Hazard and G-Dub with that kind of bristol-bass revival sound / Clipz + Full Cycle crew doing the super-playful joke melody shit

Seems like now it's strictly about screw face basslines, and I can't help but feel accommodating the role of MC's is largely responsible for encouraging that decision.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom