Some food for thought !!!

No OS & G-Dub did it with style and flow. Totally different to the style Annix brought to the scene.

Well, let´s just agree to disagree here, I turned a bit away from Jump Up when this sound came up, was more into the sounds of Distorted Minds.

Yes, the style is different. Minimal. Not screechy. And I definitely prefer it to the ever same samplepacks of Majisly or Pluv.

this would actually work though. DJs are more versatile than MCs. Taxman has had tunes that arent that jump uppy. His remix of digital - the gateman comes to mind, although i dont think it was ever released

While I agree to an extent what you're then saying is I'd like to book taxman as long as he doesn't play to jump uppy.

Back to the previous named example, you know that loxy covers a spectrum of darker & deeper so anywhere within that range he'll play what the crowd is feeling. The jump up guys don't cover that range unfortunately. You book taxman or hazard or whatever to do what they do and that's mix 16 bar drop into 16 bar drop. Again no implication of being an idiot or bad at their job. They're obviously great at their job if they're still doing it!!

Look at dBridge. He covers the widest range of styles but you know as long as you want to hear something within his confines (which are huge) you're ok to book him. Imagine flipping it and putting dBridge b2b with Kid Drama at innovation in the sun pool party!

While I agree to an extent what you're then saying is I'd like to book taxman as long as he doesn't play to jump uppy.

what i would be saying is "i admire your artistic merit not just within jump up but within all aspects of dnb and i think it would be interesting to hear your selection and mix when it comes to the slightly more minimalistic side of dnb"

i remember taxman, at the dnb awards 5 years ago or so, went from something fairly jump uppy into Signs (calibre remix) and the whole place went off. i doubt any of the new jump up lot (annix, alpha, guv, etc) would ever mix it up like that but taxman i do see as above that other jump up lot. same with hazard i think

what i would be saying is "i admire your artistic merit not just within jump up but within all aspects of dnb and i think it would be interesting to hear your selection and mix when it comes to the slightly more minimalistic side of dnb"

i remember taxman, at the dnb awards 5 years ago or so, went from something fairly jump uppy into Signs (calibre remix) and the whole place went off. i doubt any of the new jump up lot (annix, alpha, guv, etc) would ever mix it up like that but taxman i do see as above that other jump up lot. same with hazard i think

Maybe my choice wasn't the best example. You must get my point though. If you play a lot of jump up expect to get booked at jump up events basically.

Through your artistic merit approach you could open it right up and say Dave Clarke is a fantastic artist. Let's book him for critical as it would be interesting to hear his selection.

I guess there's no real correct answer but the approach of expect to get booked based on what people know you for is a realistic approach to follow?

Dave Clarke at a Critical party would work IMO - a 90 minute set of 150-160bpm booty electro? Halogenix and Stray on the bill too? That would be perfectly easy to imagine.

Dave Clarke at a Critical party would work IMO - a 90 minute set of 150-160bpm booty electro? Halogenix and Stray on the bill too? That would be perfectly easy to imagine.

But you're pre defining what dave clarke has to play.....

Yeah but I've seen him play electro sets before and by the second hour he's well into the 150's and it's always sick tbh. It's not like you're asking him to play something he doesn't play...

Yeah but I've seen him play electro sets before and by the second hour he's well into the 150's and it's always sick tbh. It's not like you're asking him to play something he doesn't play...

Trust me to pick another shit example!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been happening for a long time, things becoming more and more fractured and separated, and now it's reached the point where if you go to an Exit night you will basically not be listening to the same type of music as at a Hospital or Hardware night. The crowds are completely different as well.

So what now? Do you pick your side and stick with it? What if you want a bit of this and a bit of that, at the same night? I'm sure there are larger nights in the UK that cater to a wide spectrum, but they don't really happen in Aus / NZ / most other places.

It's a bit of a shame if like me you have always liked all different kinds of dnb. Listen to old One Nation tape packs and you'll hear Darren Jay or Fluid mixing Ed Rush & Optical tunes with some dirty jump up or jungle stuff, with 2 or 3 quality MCs, to massive crowds of thousands of people. You don't really get that sort of unbridled variety any more, do you?

Last edited:
Some good comments.

I know times change and things have to progress but it would be nice to hear Bassman Trigga & Spyda over an Andy C set. Its not going to happen the way drum & bass has divided itself. Maybe mixing it up abit would be a good start maybe take it back to the old days where's these dj's wouldn't care who is over there set or what night they have been booked to.

Hell while we at it lets get mc's doing the dj'in and dj's doing the mc'in :teeth:

It's a bit of a shame if like me you have always liked all different kinds of dnb. Listen to old One Nation tape packs and you'll hear Darren Jay or Fluid mixing Ed Rush & Optical tunes with some dirty jump up or jungle stuff, with 2 or 3 quality MCs, to massive crowds of thousands of people. You don't really get that sort of unbridled variety any more, do you?

I do miss this!

I know times change and things have to progress but it would be nice to hear Bassman Trigga & Spyda over an Andy C set. Its not going to happen the way drum & bass has divided itself. Maybe mixing it up abit would be a good start maybe take it back to the old days where's these dj's wouldn't care who is over there set or what night they have been booked to.

It would be nice if we could get there but it's been that long now I think that sort of night would really struggle now! Shame but such is life eh?!

Label nights are one of the most reliable formulas in event promotion all across electronic music, so the real question is why are there so few jump-up labels with the suitable profile and structure to warrant being invited to host a label night ? If I was a local promoter and wanted to throw a jump-up night the franchise choices are awful. Its pretty much just Playaz who can offer genuine reciprocal value for money.

I also have to say the way Jump-up represents itself feels really dated. The graphic design on the flyers, the faux-90's yardie language used in the copywriting, the general production standard of the beats, the standard of their online presence, and wildly unoriginal flows the MC's use. Its all feels a bit amateur

Last point I want to make is about the 'big names' as Eks puts it not wanting to perform at the jump-up raves. The whole Jumpup sound feel like its been reverse engineered from the assumption that there'll be a mini-army of MC's all looking to pack machine-gun flows over as much of the set as possible, so the beat-makers are intentionally crafting soundtracks that enhance that formula. Try and replicate that Multi-MC formula over beats that don't have tons of space for the MC's to occupy and the whole thing falls to pieces. Recast the role of the MC in the rave-scene, and the variety will return - but at the moment there is a lack of trust in MC's and its just too much of a gamble. after all its the DJ, not the MC that mostly cop the blame for a badly received set so I can totally understand why they would avoid taking those bookings. Question is after almost a decade of a very narrow formula, is there really that much of an appetite in the 'rave' scene for other styles of act to get booked anyway ?

Back
Top Bottom