Transpose Audio in Logic Pro X

timeslut

Hi guys,

I've noticed in Fruity Loops, Cubase, and Abelton that there is a "Transpose" for any track/audio file. For instance, in Maztek's Sample Genie tutorial, he simply turns the knob for his snare track to adjust the pitch. Fruity Loops and Ableton as well: as simple as a turn of the knob.

For Logic Pro X, I can't find it for the life of me. If I click on the "i" for info on a MIDI track, the ability to "Transpose" does appear. Not a knob, but I can type in the amount.

However, when I drag an AUDIO sample, the ability to type in the "Transpose" amount disappears. I click on the "i" in the top left, and it is no longer an option. Does this mean the only way to transpose audio in Logic Pro X is to double click on the sample, go to Functions, then Time and Pitch Machine, then type in the number of "cents", preview, and post?

Is there an easier route I haven't discovered or is Logic Pro X a step behind all the DAWs in this regard? And yes, I know the ESX24 allows you to pitch it at different keys, but the sample speed increases depending on the pitch- quite annoying as well. And I also know that there is a "Pitch Shifter" (both AU and built in) but both of those degrade the quality (the default Pitch Correction in FX is horrible for maintaining audio quality past 3 semitones).

I'm not aware of any quick high quality way of changing the pitch. I normally use the Time & Pitch Machine for anything I'm using as audio or EXS24 for anything that I'm going to play around with.

yeah annoyingly you're right, Time & Pitch machine is the quickest way as standard - Which is miles behind other daws. Although you do get much much more control over how the sample pitches using a range of different algorithms to get you there

don't let other DAW's quick transpose functions fool you...sure its quick, but you still need to play with the time stretch algorithm for it to sound good, helpfully Ableton also makes this very simple

I suppose one route is to just use Kontakt (instead of the ESX 24). I'll give that a go.

One other alternative is loading it into Ultrabeat, but I prefer seeing my samples in Audio. In Ultrabeat, you can adjust the pitch of each individual sample.

don't let other DAW's quick transpose functions fool you...sure its quick, but you still need to play with the time stretch algorithm for it to sound good, helpfully Ableton also makes this very simple

Good point, I remember that in Reason 7 at least, sometimes you pitch a bassline 2 semitones up and it starts to sounds complete crap.

If it's a single hit, your best bet is to select the region and then convert it to a new Sampler track. I find that the pitching within the EXS 24 delivers the cleanest result so samples versus the stock Logic Pitch plugin and Time Machine.

If it's an Apple loop, click "i" to open up the Inspector panel and you can transpose the apple loop itself using the "Transpose" input box in inspector.

Back
Top Bottom