Some thoughts on "mainstream" Drum and bass.

Re: Some thoughts on "mainstream" Drum and bass.

Pendulum had some huge tracks - my fav's were Vault, Still Grey, Back To You. But as we all know, they changed and really fell off. i don't think it's fair to group Sigma in with Pendulum, Sigma is still staying true to dnb. i've been a big fan of Sigma for years. they've started to blow up recently and i still love alot of their songs. they try different things sometimes and isn't my cup of tea but i still consider myself a Sigma fan.

btw does anyone know when the hell is this song gonna be released?

Neither do I, they don't deserve to be in the same category as pendulum.

I was wondering the release date of that one too. :)

- - - Updated - - -

People make the music they make cos they want to. they owe you, the consumer, nothing. Get over it and listen to music you do like

Well they wouldn't really be anywhere without people buying their music would they?

If your buying something, the person at the other end should be making a quality product to justify your purchase, and loyalty to said artist/group.

So they do owe the consumer something.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd say they were the only ok tracks too.

The rest sounded like the theme tune to a kids TV show (Granite).

It was trying to do rock and drum and bass at the same time, excelling in neither department, leaving the listener with a collection of cheesy pop rock tacks masquerading as metal, with some drum and bass elements in there in attempts to keep the fans happy (ha).

Last edited by a moderator:

Well they wouldn't really be anywhere without people buying their music would they?

If your buying something, the person at the other end should be making a quality product to justify your purchase, and loyalty to said artist/group.

So they do owe the consumer something.

Lol people don't make drum and bass to make money. They make music they like and hope others will like it too. If you feel like artists who make music for you and others to listen to, owe you more, you need to stop being so greedy.

Lol people don't make drum and bass to make money. They make music they like and hope others will like it too. If you feel like artists who make music for you and others to listen to, owe you more, you need to stop being so greedy.

It's sad how people get in the game trying only to make money. To be honest, I blame the american scene for this. Everyone wants to be Skrillex, earn millions and get laid.

It's sad how people get in the game trying only to make money. To be honest, I blame the american scene for this. Everyone wants to be Skrillex, earn millions and get laid.

Have you considered the possibility that they might actually enjoy and be inspired by Skrillex's music as well? Plenty of people do and there's nothing wrong with that.

Have you considered the possibility that they might actually enjoy and be inspired by Skrillex's music as well? Plenty of people do and there's nothing wrong with that.
Yes, I have mate. And I talk to a lot of aspiring producers on many many forums, facebook groups and all. Those who really enjoy doing music are the minority, sadly. Most of them are looking to the money they assume they must get. anyways, this is how I FEEL about this.

On other forum (I think you post there as well) there was this guy who said: "I wanna be [forgot the name of the dj]", but didn't have a single clue on how to make music. I tried to help him, explaining that great music isn't made in a day. Guess what? The guy almost told me to fuck off.

Oh really?

So it has nothing to do with the fact that they move from an independent label to a major one is it, no.

The major labels expect from their artists a commercial sound to appeal to a wider audience, as I'm sure you'll know. Why else would they randomly start putting out more mainstream tracks?

The reason they most likely moved from their original label in the first place, is because what I mentioned above, generates more money. They no longer have a niche audience.

People might not make drum and bass for money, but then the people berated for this aren't doing that anyway. Granite wasn't a drum and bass track, and in silico wasn't a drum and bass album, if we use Pendulum as an example.

I'm not saying they really owe the consumer anything, but like many people did, I pre-ordered in silico, expecting a drum and bass album from drum and bass producers, and I didn't get that, so I didn't get what I paid for.

Should've listened to it before you bought it then really, that's no ones fault but your own!

Big labels have a bigger reach! And of course people are gonna take a chance to make money when given one, you'd be stupid not to!

Oh really?

So it has nothing to do with the fact that they move from an independent label to a major one is it, no.

The major labels expect from their artists a commercial sound to appeal to a wider audience, as I'm sure you'll know. Why else would they randomly start putting out more mainstream tracks?

The reason they most likely moved from their original label in the first place, is because what I mentioned above, generates more money. They no longer have a niche audience.

People might not make drum and bass for money, but then the people berated for this aren't doing that anyway. Granite wasn't a drum and bass track, and in silico wasn't a drum and bass album, if we use Pendulum as an example.

I'm not saying they really owe the consumer anything, but like many people did, I pre-ordered in silico, expecting a drum and bass album from drum and bass producers, and I didn't get that, so I didn't get what I paid for.

First off, you are retarded....

Secondly, This is not the main section of the forum. We do not argue over stylistic popularity.

Thirdly, Pendulum made a name for themselves before they were famous by making tracks that people liked that had high production value. Being a hipster 10years later is retarded. They got away from the drum and bass because they were tiered of playing the same music over and over again. Honestly, if ten years later people were still asking me to drop spiral or Blood Sugar I would go mad.

Fourthly, when it comes to drum and bass, all drum and bass is a niche market. Drum and Bass is NOT a popular music. There can be some tracks (For example, after glow by wilkinson) that are going for that popular style. However, it is still a track produced my an extremely talented musician(not a major corporation) going for that "main stream style."

Five: I would be willing to guess that Ram Records is the largest of all the "major" drum and bass labels. If you make it into ram it is not because you are a hack. You are one of the best of the best and can deliver a certain quality and style no one else can. With that being said, I'm sure artist like Blu Mar Ten could easily be signed by Ram, but I do believe their style is different and have their own label to deal with. The same idea applies to Hospital, Viper, and Virus. All are major labels with the best sign to them. They just have different styles or niches.

Sixth, As far as artist changing styles, I change my style constantly. It promotes creativity and learning. Yet, I am a nobody. When I create something no one has the right to tell me what I can or can not create. If I want to make Fm style monster skilled growls I fucking will. I can see no reason why a artist would nor want to evolve.

Last but not least, If I were to make music as a job. Like that place we all go to work every day to feed our families, I would reach out to as large as audience as possible. If the people who buy my music also pay my bills, I would have the god damn right to appease them. If I have an ability that can reach a majority in nothing but a positive light, I owe it to my self and other to deliver.

In conclusion, your supreme, hipster, and pompous attitude is not appreciated and makes me think you are retarded. All major artist are talented even when you do not like the style. Pendulum may have sold out or just evolved like everyone does. All drum and bass is niche. Major Drum and Bass labels are business providing a niche to an already niche market. Everyone changes and so do artist, and If you provide a entertainment service for profit, you need to make sure you are selling something people will buy.

Please stop listing to my music, you are the kind of person who enters a place 24 years to late and begins talking about what is legitimate versus mainstream. Akin to saying Andy Warhole is too mainstream and trying to copy off of Banksy. Leave this for the people who actually give a shit and care. Your discussion will be appropriate when Justin Beiber and Quinn Srafani start making the next great Drum and Bass Album, and then start accusing Metal Heads of copying their syncopated style. Until then, get to know, our get the fuck out.

Last edited:

Secondly, This is not the main section of the forum. We do not argue over stylistic popularity.

Thirdly, Pendulum made a name for themselves before they were famous by making tracks that people liked that had high production value. Being a hipster 10years later is retarded. They got away from the drum and bass because they were tiered of playing the same music over and over again. Honestly, if ten years later people were still asking me to drop spiral or Blood Sugar I would go mad.

Fourthly, when it comes to drum and bass, all drum and bass is a niche market. Drum and Bass is NOT a popular music. There can be some tracks (For example, after glow by wilkinson) that are going for that popular style. However, it is still a track produced my an extremely talented musician(not a major corporation) going for that "main stream style."

Five: I would be willing to guess that Ram Records is the largest of all the "major" drum and bass labels. If you make it into ram it is not because you are a hack. You are one of the best of the best and can deliver a certain quality and style no one else can. With that being said, I'm sure artist like Blu Mar Ten could easily be signed by Ram, but I do believe their style is different and have their own label to deal with. The same idea applies to Hospital, Viper, and Virus. All are major labels with the best sign to them. They just have different styles or niches.

Sixth, As far as artist changing styles, I change my style constantly. It promotes creativity and learning. Yet, I am a nobody. When I create something no one has the right to tell me what I can or can not create. If I want to make Fm style monster skilled growls I fucking will. I can see no reason why a artist would nor want to evolve.

Last but not least, If I were to make music as a job. Like that place we all go to work every day to feed our families, I would reach out to as large as audience as possible. If the people who buy my music also pay my bills, I would have the god damn right to appease them. If I have an ability that can reach a majority in nothing but a positive light, I owe it to my self and other to deliver.

In conclusion, your supreme, hipster, and pompous attitude is not appreciated and makes me think you are retarded. All major artist are talented even when you do not like the style. Pendulum may have sold out or just evolved like everyone does. All drum and bass is niche. Major Drum and Bass labels are business providing a niche to an already niche market. Everyone changes and so do artist, and If you provide a entertainment service for profit, you need to make sure you are selling something people will buy.

Please stop listing to my music, you are the kind of person who enters a place 24 years to late and begins talking about what is legitimate versus mainstream. Akin to saying Andy Warhole is too mainstream and trying to copy off of Banksy. Leave this for the people who actually give a shit and care. Your discussion will be appropriate when Justin Beiber and Quinn Srafani start making the next great Drum and Bass Album, and then start accusing Metal Heads of copying their syncopated style. Until then, get to know, our get the fuck out.

Ouch

I think that actually deserves a closed thread

Mortal-Kombat-Fatality.jpg

Good one. Intelligent comment from somebody who uses the word retard as an insult.
Secondly, This is not the main section of the forum.

Yes. I noticed that after I posted.

We do not argue over stylistic popularity.

Well, that's funny, because if you read my original post, I wasn't looking for an argument in the first place.
People started to argue with ME. I was asking a question.

Mate, I really don't care...

Read my original post. I made one comment about Pendulum sucking. That's my opinion. That was what started any arguments in this thread.
Yes, I should've been more tactful perhaps in my wording, but at the end of the day I wasn't looking for an argument.

It was a stand alone comment I wasn't expecting anything else to come of.

I only explained my opinion further when people started to challenge me.

I don't even know what a "hipster" is, but honestly, I don't give a crap about what Pendulum do. I was annoyed at the time about the direction they went in, but I couldn't care less now.
The fact that other people have decided to pull an argument from a single comment, and totally flip the thread in another direction, shows me that they care more than I do.

I don't recall disputing that.

Again, I echo that sentiment. I wasn't disputing that.

Evolving is a different thing to selling out.

Loadstar "evolved". Their style altered and got more refined.

That's fair enough I suppose.

In conclusion, your supreme, hipster, and pompous attitude is not appreciated and makes me think you are retarded.

I'm pompous?

You write a huge antagonistic "I know everything about the industry" post, and I'm pompous...

All major artist are talented even when you do not like the style. Pendulum may have sold out or just evolved like everyone does. All drum and bass is niche. Major Drum and Bass labels are business providing a niche to an already niche market. Everyone changes and so do artist, and If you provide a entertainment service for profit, you need to make sure you are selling something people will buy.

Selling records and making allot of money doesn't require migration to a major label. I'm not talking about drum and bass labels, I'm talking about labels like Def Jam, mercury etc;

Please stop listing to my music, Leave this for the people who actually give a shit and care. Until then, get to know, our get the fuck out.

You don't have the right to tell me a damn thing you little keyboard warrior.

I put up a thread. A non-antagonistic thread. I wasn't discussing shitty Pendulum. I made one comment, I don't give a damn.

The thread was about Sigma. I didn't understand why the got so much hate.

So my discussion had nothing to do with any of this, until several people brought it up.

Don't bother posting another little rant, because I really, do not care.
I don't care about pendulum, and I don't care for people trying to argue with me about it.

I'm civil when talking to someone. I don't appreciate the rudeness just because you don't like what I've said.

- Jay

- - - Updated - - -

Should've listened to it before you bought it then really, that's no ones fault but your own!

Big labels have a bigger reach! And of course people are gonna take a chance to make money when given one, you'd be stupid not to!

Yes, I should've, but I had faith in them to make something cool, seen as I'd supported them since they began.

Not really. If it means changing your style to something you don't want to, then I wouldn't. If I was a successful musician, and making allot of money through my current label, more money wouldn't be an interest.

- Jay

- - - Updated - - -

I don't want to argue with anybody here please. The threads already been de-railed from my original intentions, so lets just leave it.

Last edited:
I love the sound of drum and bass. The energy that the breaks and the bass lines bring, and I think that can come in many forms.
I agree with the sentance above.
I enjoy (to varying degrees) all forms of D&B. I'm quite happy to see D&B track at the top of the charts and that is unlikely to happen with dark or minimal stuff. Much better IMHO to hear D&B on the radio or TV than R&B/Trance crossovers or boybands.

Back
Top Bottom