The 'Vinyl Extortion'-ism Solution thread (mushi)

jungle_fever

VIP Junglist
Ok so i think most people have heard of the infamous vinyl bandit that goes by the name of Tan who runs Mushi Mushi records in Nottingham.

I know loads of people have spoken out about him. Dispatch Ant has spoken up against it, multiple dubstep artists have expressed their disapproval and even the likes of Four Tet have been brought into the argument.

K8aP6zr.png

As we have a few artists and label owners here i was wondering if we could maybe see their stance on this blight in the scene and maybe we could come up with a solution? or is this just something we should learn to accept.

My view is that it is bad for the music scene in general as it puts people off buying and collecting vinyl if they need to remortgage their home to get a new release, so maybe a mushi mushi trade embargo is what we need to keep vinyl alive?

or maybe a suggestion to discogs to have an 'ignore seller' function that would maybe deter the usual suspects (vinylvendour is another culprit) from pricing ridiculously high.

would love to hear your thoughts on the matter

lol, like he can stop him buying the records

if he doesnt get direct he can just buy retail price and sell them on. guys a cunt, standard but if you disagree dont buy them, its that easy. sadly there are plenty of idiots out there that pay his ridculous prices so he will continue to do what he does.

re: vinylvendour, dont think hes on discogs as a 'business', i dont see multiple copies of the same release for sale with him, hes just buying for his collection and has put a price on what he would be willing to take to part with them rather than trying to extort people. again if you dont want to pay the price, dont buy it.

i am collector and understand very well that feeling of having missed out on a record but its all part and parcel of collecting vinyl sadly, you win some you lose some. hunt in 2nd hand shops, keep an eye on discogs etc and you can usually pick up what you want for a good price in the end, might just take a bit of time. patience is always a virtue...

Last edited:
the solution is to not buy from him. he's free to set whatever price he chooses, doesn't mean you're forced to buy it. the fact that people get so frustrated by this guy is a bit absurd. if people are foolish/desperate enough to pay his prices then the problem lies with them, not him.

I get that discogs email everyday which has Tanmushimushi and vinylvendor all over it - so annoying. How would you propose we tackled it though? We could write a heart wrenching story, make it go viral and then collect signatures and get David Cameron on the case. ORRR we could make it the new internet challenge phenomenom - slap'a'tan challenge or something.

Anyone know any decent hackers that can hack his discogs, lower the prices to a normal price, and then we can buy them all out....no a price that gives him no profit - then it's not stealing because he doesn;t lose any money, its just recirculating them....

As much as I agree, the guy isn't doing anything wrong. He's perfectly within his rights to sell what he wants at the price he wants. It's morally wrong but then so are a lot of things.

If people weren't silly enough to pay his prices, it wouldn't be an issue.

As much as I agree, the guy isn't doing anything wrong. He's perfectly within his rights to sell what he wants at the price he wants. It's morally wrong but then so are a lot of things.

If people weren't silly enough to pay his prices, it wouldn't be an issue.

he isnt doing anything wrong, much like i wouldnt be doing anything wrong if i ordered 30 copies of the DISDUB001 release, but that doesnt mean he isnt highly irritating for doing it, especially if you missed out initially.

thats the reason why people do the whole '1 copy per order' thing

would love to hear your thoughts on the matter
guys a cunt

Pretty much it really.

I have never bought anything off Tan Mushi Mushi, but have stumbled across his page numerous times when trying to hunt down vinyl at a reasonable price. Was trying to get a copy of a tune and, at the time, he had a copy on there for something not too extortionate (between £10 & £16 inc P&P). Messaged him to see if he would accept an offer for it. Didn't receive a reply. Messaged again and still no reply. Says it all really about valuing customers

All in favour of organising a dnbforum mob and stealing all of his records to distribute them evenly amongst us say "I".

Lets chip in and hire a [Edited so thread doesn't get deleted]

This thread will probably get deleted btw, he complained about the last one IIRC

Lets chip in and hire a [Edited so thread doesn't get deleted]

This thread will probably get deleted btw, he complained about the last one IIRC

we are having a discussion about how some vinyl shops trade in vinyl. he shouldnt have the right to get threads like this deleted because thats the way he operates his business.

it is silly that a thread like this would get deleted but all the racist, sexist violent abusive and downright offensive stuff in waffle stays. both should stay

I'm shocked at the amount of people who actually purchase from him. He has a bunch of recent, positive reviews. Apparently some folks are cool with paying $200 for a common Spor EP, and as long as people keep throwing money at him then he's going to keep doing what he's doing.

But aside from that, I vote for either [Edited so thread doesn't get deleted] or redistributing his collection. Mostly [Edited so thread doesn't get deleted].

we are having a discussion about how some vinyl shops trade in vinyl. he shouldnt have the right to get threads like this deleted because thats the way he operates his business.

it is silly that a thread like this would get deleted but all the racist, sexist violent abusive and downright offensive stuff in waffle stays. both should stay
To be fair he asked for the other thread to be deleted because willyham had posted death threats which I think is a pretty reasonable request, and of course the mods are going to comply because otherwise it might turn into something more serious which isn't really worth the hassle....

Which was also stupid because otherwise the thread was really high up on googles search for tanmushimushi and bound to be damaging

To be fair he asked for the other thread to be deleted because willyham had posted death threats which I think is a pretty reasonable request, and of course the mods are going to comply because otherwise it might turn into something more serious which isn't really worth the hassle....

nuh uh! someone posted his private facebook account, I believe that's why it was deleted.

Back
Top Bottom