Just got some CDJ's, looking for some help.

Fliparix

Hey guys!

I have been mixing on a Pioneer DDJ-SR for the past 6 months or so and I have finally got round to
selling it and buying a pair of 1000 Mk2's.

Got a few easy to answer questions if anybody can help me out.

1. What programs excel at fast and stable CD burning? ( I was thinking Nero burning rom 6)

2. When copying tunes to a CD, what's the best way of remembering what tunes are what? What I mean by this
is, is there any way of adding track names to the CDJ display or will I just have to print out a little tracklist for
with each CD?

3. Any cool tricks or tips I should know about for 1000 mk2's?

Thanks guys!

Burning CDs is the reason I bought Serato, I hated it a lot.

1. I did it through itunes and never had a problem, it's quite quick.

2. You'll have to see what works for you mate, you can edit the file so the track name shows on the CDJ but I can't remember what you have to change, there are Pioneer forums with loads of information on. Dont print things out imo, just write on the CD.

3. Hold down the auto cue button if you tracks keep playing before you press play, it took me a while to figure that out and it did my fucking head in, also maybe cover the bit that shows the BPM seeing as you came from a controller, it'll help you pick up beatmatching a bit better.

To get the track names up on the CDJs you need to enable 'Include CD Text' (on iTunes that is) or similar.

Write on the CDs, 6-8 tracks max, and screenshot and print tracklist too if you're keen.

I actually went deep and used Traktor to show cue points then took a screenshot of the waveform and printed that out. Very handy for old jungle bits with weird structures.

Imo you should burn CDs on max 12x speed to make them last longer (Can't remember where i learnt that)

Use Master Tempo (Key Lock) as well which stops the pitch bending when moving the jog wheel. Makes correcting fuck ups harder to notice.

When wanting to bring a tune out quick, flip the track in reverse and fade out.

Burning CDs is the reason I bought Serato, I hated it a lot.

1. I did it through itunes and never had a problem, it's quite quick.

2. You'll have to see what works for you mate, you can edit the file so the track name shows on the CDJ but I can't remember what you have to change, there are Pioneer forums with loads of information on. Dont print things out imo, just write on the CD.

3. Hold down the auto cue button if you tracks keep playing before you press play, it took me a while to figure that out and it did my fucking head in, also maybe cover the bit that shows the BPM seeing as you came from a controller, it'll help you pick up beatmatching a bit better.

Can you burn music onto CD's not purchased through itunes?
Yeah I'm covering the BPM too.

Use Master Tempo (Key Lock) as well which stops the pitch bending when moving the jog wheel. Makes correcting fuck ups harder to notice.

When wanting to bring a tune out quick, flip the track in reverse and fade out.

That master tempo trick works so well, thanks for that!
Also the flip in reverse sounds cool.

Finally does anyone know why 1 CDJ does this?
My left one stops instantly when I put pressure on the top of the jogwheel but the right one slows it down and
stops it slowly if you touch it lightly (like the sound a vinyl plays when you turn off the turntable but leave needle
down) and if I press it harder it stops instantly.

Any ideas?

I use Adobe Audition for all of my audio processing and CD burning duties. Its very good indeed and automatically includes the track name when you burn the CD.

Make sure your ID3 tags are up to date on the files - As long as you've got Artist & Title populated they'll not look like dirty file names on the display with dots and dashes and stuff.

Quickest way to update ID3 tags is in iTunes. I have a very anal iTunes library which makes for much easier searching etc when dj'ing!

Also if you're dropping the music into iTunes to update tags and burn make sure in the settings you turn off import tracks (otherwise you'll end up with your original track and a second m4a file in the library so you won't actually be updating your original file).

Back
Top Bottom