Headphone Mixdowns.

saam

VIP Junglist
A quick and hopefully easy question, Is it 'okay' to mix a track using headphones of the right quality let's use something along the lines of the LCD- 2's by Audeze as an example, so around 600 quids worth of headphone? I'm going to save up for a decent pair of monitors so am going to start with a nice pair of headphones.

Don't need more than that.

You don't even need Audeze's to decently mix with headphones. I use my Sennheiser HD25's ALOT. Just because I listen to them alot. So I know how a mix should sound on them. As long as you know that, you're good to go

HD-25 are DJ headphones, they are ok, nothing special. Maybe ok as another reference to check a mix on, but I certainly wouldnt use them to make mix decisions.

If you're going spend 600 sheets on those headphones, then make sure you are powering them with a decent headphone amp/soundcard, or you will be defeating the object. A bit similar to buying expensive monitors but then not treating the room!

HD-25 are DJ headphones, they are ok, nothing special.

Should've said that yea, they are indeed goaled towards djing. That's why I just know how a mix should sound, I've listened to tons of songs on those headphones while djing, and I use them on the bus, on my way to college,...
My point is: if you are going to save for monitors, why spend another 600 on a headphone? Any (little bit decent) headphone will do just fine, if you know how they sound

And I second his comment on the amp/soundcard thing, expensive headphones without a good signal are nothing

That is actually all I need safe! A rather narrow minded friend of mine said recently his uni lecturer has been telling his whole class that mixing in headphones is shit and that they strictly shouldn't do it? He can't be wrong so I just nodded and let that go over my head. So what amps or sound cards are there that would be necessary? I appreciate the help lads

Don't use HD25's for production. Try are a good reference but not for judicious eqing.

They don't really respond to any slight adjustments on the eq compared to a decent pair of headphones. I like using my hd25s for mixing. That's about it.

there are some good reasons not to mix on headphones, including checking for phase imbalance in sub freqz, misinterpreting the stereo field, over/under compensation for the bass, ear fatigue (far more important than ppl tend to realize)...all things that can easily be checked with monitors; what is most important, is that you understand how the headphones respond...which means you also need a good pair of reference monitors too, ideally

the most important reason not to mix on headphones, unless you have significant self control, is hearing damage. it almost certainly will happen unless you mix quietly (which you need to anyway, to get a well balanced mix)

for me personally, headphones are an important reference tool, along side a range of speakers

the most important reason not to mix on headphones, unless you have significant self control, is hearing damage. it almost certainly will happen unless you mix quietly (which you need to anyway, to get a well balanced mix)
so much truth in this.

I can't afford to have monitors, so all my mixing and mastering is done through headphones. Once you know how they work, you should be fine. and reference your track on as many as different systems you can. Play it on your good headphones, then your shitty earbuds, then on your car, then on a home stereo and, if you're luck enough or know the right people, on a club system as well.

definitely /\ referencing with lots of sound systems is very useful, esp if you don't have an ideal monitoring setup

tbh if you have 600 to spend, spend it on monitors not headphones, your mix downs will benefit massively, or spend 500 on monitors and ~100 on headphones if you are unable to use monitors all the time (you can pick up HD25's for ~120 if you shop around), and you'll get some very useful monitors for 500 (check sound on sound for recommendations)

definitely /\ referencing with lots of sound systems is very useful, esp if you don't have an ideal monitoring setup

tbh if you have 600 to spend, spend it on monitors not headphones, your mix downs will benefit massively, or spend 500 on monitors and ~100 on headphones if you are unable to use monitors all the time (you can pick up HD25's for ~120 if you shop around), and you'll get some very useful monitors for 500 (check sound on sound for recommendations)
Really appreciate all this fellaS! Could you give me an insight to any decent soundcards or amps too by any chance?

i use hd-25s and a budget hi fi i got from cash converters. I know a pretty good producer who does absolutely everything in iphone in earphones...

- - - Updated - - -

what miszt said about mixing down quietly is a wicked bit of advice (even if he is a bit of a tree hugging hippy :D) If it sounds good quiet, you can guarantee it will sound 10 x better when played on a big rig.

That and listening on as many different sets of speakers as possible!

Really appreciate all this fellaS! Could you give me an insight to any decent soundcards or amps too by any chance?

I cant recommend any headphone amps for production myself, most of them color the sound allot, which is exactly what you don't want..maybe sumone can recommend a transparent headphone amp, but you generally don't need it with a professional audio interface...theres loads to choose from, anything by RME, focusrite, avid or m-audio will give you a transparent sound, and more than enough volume to make you permanently deaf.

audio interfaces range in price allot, but this is mainly down to the number of inputs/outputs, rather than a reflection of the quality, no point spending 300 on an interface with 10 inputs if you don't need any inputs, coz it will still be the same quality as the 2 input version in the same range, if you have synths, guitars whatever to record, then you need enough inputs for whatever you want to record, but if you are working completely in the box (on the computer) then you only need output, shouldn't have to pay much more than 50-70£ for that

- - - Updated - - -

(even if he is a bit of a tree hugging hippy :D)!

defamation! :mad: i have a reputation to maintain :P

For an example if I had High quality headphones such as a pair of whatever Audezes... Then just putting them through an audio interface should be okay for their quality?

For an example if I had High quality headphones such as a pair of whatever Audezes... Then just putting them through an audio interface should be okay for their quality?

essentially yes, audio interface should be completely "transparent", it should not alter the sound being played

- - - Updated - - -

Audeze headphones don't seem to be in any review by sound on sound, seems a bit strange for a pro audio product at that price range? are they really worth that much?

Back
Top Bottom