Forza Horizon 2 / Hospital Records / un-DJ friendly albums

Novantadue
VIP Junglist
I honestly haven't cared for new drum and bass for quite some time (2003?). In 2008 I did buy some clownstep records as a joke for myself but I never cared for that style.

As an avid xboxer I did buy the Forza Horizon 2 game the day it came out as I love the series. Last time there was a Forza Horizon game there was one nice track that sounded like 1991 LFO which I ended up buying. However this time with Forza Horizon 2 there is a whole fake XM radio station with Hospital Records releases. More surprising is that I actually like this "new" drum and bass. It doesn't sound like anything I've heard before and it's not clownstep.

I've been collecting all of the records used in the game yet I see some big differences with these releases. First of all these aren't all 12"s and some aren't on vinyl at all but are only available as .wav file releases which is very strange to me. The majority of the vinyl releases are on albums with 3 to 4 tracks per side which is VERY dj unfriendly. Some of these tunes are only 3 minutes long without a friendly intro for mixing. The worst offender is Camo & Krookeds "Move Around". This is a wonderful tune however why was this released like this? Why not a 12" or if album only why has the format changed so much? The tune is very dj unfriendly and on a vinyl with 4 tracks crammed on one side....

The only thing I can think of is that DJs aren't buying these albums. They're buying the ,WAV files to mix on their computer and the computer does all the beatmatching so therefor you don't need the dj friendly intro and outro.

But really, I don't understand how DNB albums changed from Digital Dubzilla to Camo & Krooked's Zeitgeist. I'm not even going to begin to speak of how that Camo & Krooked album has so little drum and bass on it. I'm more interested to know why Hospital is no longer releasing albums with one tune on each side and why most releases are only digital these days?

Looks like you've been absent from the scene for a long time dude. Vinyl has declined to a point where the only way most record labels will press it is if they put several tunes to a side and can therefore command a higher price for it. There are a few labels still staying true with vinyl but most have dropped off and many major labels (major within dnb at least) don't press at all anymore.

More people are skipping over to Traktor and Serato or just going completely digital with CDJs or controllers and this is probably the main reason for the decline.

Either way, I'm surprised that you left the scene and Hospital Records of all labels was the one to bring you back.

As he said ^
Vinyl is making a small comeback this year/past year, but it's not at all as big as it used to be. Almost everything is just digital these days, not many EP's/LP's get pressed anymore.
I don't think that theee is one big dj that does a gig all vinyl. Or it has to be an all classic set or something. (don't shoot me if I'm wrong)

And C&K is not the best example to say that computers do all the beatmatching. Far from true.
C&K's Zeitgeist is just a their creative project is guess. I mean, listen to 'All Night', it's not the conventional drum & bass.

As DJ-friendlyness goes. 'Move Around' is maybe not the dj-friendliest tune, but its certainly doable. The intro is long enough, the piano chords are constistent, and then the synth near the end of the intro is useable as well to beatmatch.
It's not because everything became digital, all dj's use computers and just press play. Agreed, it's easier now, and some dj's do it, but not because the track is stored on a usb it automatically syncs with the other tunes..

Welcome to 2014 my friend. It turns out records aren't as popular as they once where. Something to do with an iPod and a whole lot of compressed music.

Thanks for the info. This is very unfortunate to hear about the decline of vinyl.

When I first heard that the tunes I wanted were only on vinyl in 1994 and not on CDs, I was very sad. Now in 2014 that I hear the tunes I want are only on digital files and not on vinyl, I am again very sad.

Absent from the scene... well the last time I bought new dnb records was in 2008 so.. 6 years. The time inbetween now and then I was just collecting 1991-1993 "dnb" records that I wanted for a long time. Hospital, yeah I guess that is funny. I wasn't a big fan of them previously aside from "The Ride" and "Mermaid Scar".

Back
Top Bottom