what do you usually start with?

AlienWeapon

When making a track I usually start by making the drop and try work back. That's fine and dandy with most genres but with dnb its super tricky as usually my drops are just the bass and drum elements. So how do you create a somewhat musical intro from that..just wondering

tease the key you work in with pads & strings, chords, whatever fits the bill. theres always the option of taking any sound you made and putting a completely wet reverb on it record it out, reverse it, timestretch it, granulize it, you get the idea. intro for me usually is some pads, reverbs, delays, eerie kinda stuff. in the buildup you can start moving torwards the actual theme of the tune by teasing some of the basses with a highpass filter (to not give away everything right away) and maybe a filtered build up drumloop of the original break leading into the actual drop. just look at intros of artists whose tunes you admire or that are in the vein of the style you're going for, that usually is inspiring enough to come up with your own ideas.

Needs more of it IMO.

The thread title and the actual question in the op are two different things haha, so i'll give my 2p on both.

If you start from the 'drop' add elements to that section to see what fits. Piano stabs, strings, pads etc. Then use those for the intro.

Personally i start from a different place each time. Sometimes with a drum, sometimes from the intro, others from a drop idea. Just do what works best for you

i found intro to be the hardest thing to make.
So i would make the tune without intro. Then i would take the outro - reverse it and then i have some kind of an intro.
then i have a basic intro to work with - mashup that a bit and profit?

We go for a kick and snare to get a simple groove then do the bass arrangement build the rest up from that. Almost 100% of the time we start on the drop

Back
Top Bottom